CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What do u guys suggest to catch a coon? What are some of ur set ups for catching a coon so you have one to work ur dogs with? Thanks.....

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:54 am 
IP:
Medium sized live trap. Put it up somewhere so the coon have to climb a little to get into it, this will help prevent SKUNKS from geting in the trap. Coon really like anything sweet. Fruit cocktail in the can works great and so does a can of tuna fish with holes poked in the top. cooked chicken drumbsticks wired to the back of the trap work great as well. Find a place where you see a lot of tracks and you will be in business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I used an awsome bait set up for coon this past season. Take a ping pong ball or blow out egg shell and inject fish oil into it. Hang the ball above the trigger in the box trap with the needle hole pointing down. Use whatever bait you want on the trigger( marshmellow, dog food , honey buns etc.) and let the fish oil drip down on it. The fish oil will fill the area with scent. You can also rig the ball that if pulled will set off the trap. I did catch an occasional slick tail (4), but the majority of catches have been coon(22). I was told about this by an old time trapper that bought his first home with hide money in the early 70's so I think he has seen it all....LOL hope this helps!!

Note: If using egg shell put a piece of tape over large hole in egg and make a smaller one so fish oil wont all run out at once. Happy trapping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

a live trap is the only way to go for catching coons, you can use anything i usually always catch one on a honey bun with syrup on it. LCK said to put a can of tuna in there which works but i would suggest that you dump the tuna into a bowl. i learned the hard way on a can of sardines that a coon will eat the metal and choke to death on a can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

livetrap and for bait marshmellow and a little strawberry pancake syrup on the pan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use whole corn with molassas on it in a live cage trap. also peanut butter works fine for catchin a coon.

i set my live cage traps on a board a little larger then than the floor of the trap because a coon will try to dig out and pulls dirt and mud into it. that keeps the trap cleaner :!:

Post subject: trapping coon
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I set my traps on or near a tree that has fallen across a big creek. If you trap in a creek with sardines, pour the juice into the creek, this creates an oil slick. A coon downstream may come across it and find your trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:38 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I caught one last night in my live trap with watermelon rine , with some of the meat and juice of the melon rubbed on the ground in front of the door . It was a test to see if it would work , and it did but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it was just luck .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Marshmellow and some chacolate syrup in a live trap pretty much anything really sweet.

Post subject: COON
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I HAVE FOUND THAT I LIVE TRAP SET ON A WELL USED PATH, WITH A HONEY BUN LEAVE THE HONEY BUN IN THE PACK JUST OPEN THE PACK AND DROP IT OVER BEHIND THE TRIGGER FOOT, USE A SMALL METAL ROD AND RUN IT THREW THE TOP OF THE CAGE AND THROUGH THE HONEY BUN TO KEEP THEM FROM ROBBING YOU.

Post subject: coon trap
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:20 pm 
IP:
i use a live trap as well, and bait it with tuna fish . but under the pad i dig a small hole and dump the tuna in there. then i use some small rocks to line the back portion of the cage and part of the way around the sides to keep them fromdiggin out the bait. but i here lately the ants and beetles have been eatin the tuna so i think im gonna try something a little different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I usually bait with peanut butter bread, this works real good, I have also used sardines, this time of year since the corn is ripening I have placed a whole ear of corn in the trapp and wired it to the trigger. I have caught a many of coons out of moms corn patch this way.

Post subject: Re: Coon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

What is the best bait that coons love but ants don't mess with? I've tried sardines, honey buns, syrup covered dogfood, and chicken. I haven't been able to catch anything here lately and the bait is always covered in fire ants

Sent from my MB860 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Post subject: Re: Coon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Marshmallows is all I use just scatter a handful in the area then throw 2-3 in the cage. If you got a really sly coon I just put 1 under the cage close to the pan that way he has to work for it. Works 9 times outta 10