CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 pm 
IP:
Amen

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: good or bad??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 3 year old walker that i got bout 7 or 8 months ago,and ive hunted her some,but when she trees,she comes to me when i get close.its like she meets me half way to tell me where the tree is.and after jumping on me,she runs back to the tree.i dont know if this is good or bad.shes accurate and all,i just dont know if this thing she does is good or bad.any answers would help on if i need to try to break her from this or leave it as is.

Post subject: Re: good or bad??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Does she stay on the tree after she meets you? If so I wouldn't worry about it, it might just be her personality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

shell run and jump on me for bout 30 seconds and run back and tree for bout minute and go back and fourth until i shoot it out then shes ready to go again

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

when she meets you walk right on by her without paying any attention to her. walk to the tree and then leash her near the tree. do not let her go back and fourth from you to the tree while you are shooting the coon. leave her leashed at the base of the tree or just back some where she can still get up on it. she should start staying at the tree after awhile. and it may be awhile before she gets it. after doing this on every tree for a few weeks if I didn't see some improvement I would just take a small switch and when she meets you lightly scold her and tell her to get back on the tree. it may take awhile because at 3 yrs old she has been allowed to do this for some time.
with that said,, if it don't bother you her coming to meet you and going back, she is your dog and if you are happy with it than it don't matter if I let mine do it or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

CbCh621 wrote:
shell run and jump on me for bout 30 seconds and run back and tree for bout minute and go back and fourth until i shoot it out then shes ready to go again

follow Toe Cutters advise on how to fix it. As far as your question is it Bad? Don't even consider PKC . LOL . Hes has left the tree and put her head down and trying to go back on track and minusesd . LOL Yours did come to you for thirty seconds you said. Heck, after we got to the tree and the judge said to handle our dogs , mine came to me and jumped on me and I missed her collar and she was back on the tree in at most 5 seconds but all the minuses came with it LOL. YES , when she came to me her head was certainly lower than when she was hugging the tree . So, she had put her head down lower than it was when she was belly up on the wood evidently so it could be in some bodies wildest assed imagination that was was going back on track in 5 seconds LOL .

Its funny because that happened back when I hunted Walkers. Now I hunt a breed that is likely to meet me 20 yards off the tree for a heartbeat. So , when the breed rep sent out a notice about proposed upcomeing Rule changes, and asking for our input, I told him about that but he did not see fit to bring it to their attention about what some perckerwoods were doing with the rule. The Rule as stands allows a dog to bark one time every few minutes.LOL But the peckerwoods judges have taken it upon themselves to determine that a dog must be nailed to the cross and not budge LOL.