CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Red Bone advice.....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok, I've just gotten this big male red bone last week and took him hunting last night with 3 other walkers. Two friends were with me to see what he might do. One had two well-trained walkers and the other had one 10 month old female. Trouble was pretty noticable pretty early. The 3 walkers were already in the cage in the back of a friends pick up truck. My dog obviously was not about to jump in the cage with the 3 dogs already in there as growling became barking, which would have definitely been a fight if both dogs were out on their leash. Now, I'm not sure exactly how old the red bone is. Apparently, a man down the road got the dog, didn't want him so the dog found his way to one of my friends house without a collar or name tag and looked to be starved. At this point all I know of him is he's full breed red bone, and I mean massive size. I'd say he would have to be atleast a year old. Anyways, we tied him up in the back of the pickup to where he can't move since he could not settle down with the one other dog which was also the only other male. We got to our spot let em all out and my dog and the other male still kind of had some issues while still on their leashes, but later on throughout the trip, they seemed to not really have any problems. Alright, we got all the dogs where we wanted em' and turned em' loose. Now I could tell how excited my red bone was because all he wanted to do was choke himself to death trying to run and pull my arm out. (Wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't so damn big.) As soon as I let him go, he was the farthest out... barking all the way. He seemed to do good. About half hour goes by he finds the three of us and I put him on the leash for the time being. We wallked up the mountain, got to the other side and heard the two walkers just going off. I let my red bone loose and next thing I knew, it was his loud deep bark that mostly helped us find em treed. He was at the tree barking, very aggressive and didnt have any problems with the other dog. The coon hit the ground and my red bone kinda acted like it was all over with and didn't have much interest. The other walkers tore it to shreds. I tried numerous times to try to get him to smell and get used to the coon as he kinda acted like he didn't really know what to do or think. My guess is he hasn't really been hunting. He would try and lead several times while on the leash. But I'm thinking it was his first hunt. I was considerably happy with the way he performed for the most part. There wasn't any of the sad, pitiful, aggravating, moments such as not being able to get him to run or having to drag him around. He did well especially with the hard terrain and being such a big dog. The only things that concern me is how fast he came back (kinda like he may have given up) and that he had no animosity against the coon. I believe taking him out more with those well-trained walkers will help a lot. My question is.... If this was your trip and your dog with the same situation.... What would you work on in the later weeks to help remedy the faults? What advice do you have for me to work on with him?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:51 am 
IP:
Well it sounds like he had a good time. I would definately get him used to riding around with other dogs and being handled etc. The more daytime work you do with him will accomplish several things that are best dealt with in the daytime under controlled circumstances rather than in hunting situations where it is sometimes hard to prevent problems. I would take him for a ton of daytime romps in the woods. Study him closely, see how he uses his nose, gets through fences, comes when called. See if he shows interest in running deer etc. If so you can work on these problems just one on one. I would do a few dead coon drags for him and study his behavior. Then graduate to a few released coon in the daytime and see what he does etc. When he does go with the other dogs I wouldn't be too critical of what he does or doesn't do for the first while until you have helped lay a solid foundation under him with daytime work. Then slowly but surely this daytime work and progress can and should transfer to more improvement during the night time hunting trips. It's fun and challenging at the same time. I hope you two make a great team and have fun trying. Good luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I appreciate the advice and the kind words LKC. I'm gonna start working with him quite a bit after work and such. But is there any way to determine their age or atleast get a good idea for their age? Red bones are pretty new to me. I had one a while ago and he run off and got lost after I had him for about two weeks. The reason I ask is sometimes the red bone that I have now kind of leads me to think he hasn't really matured as much as maybe I'm hoping for. I mean.. he's good size and definitely handles himself pretty good but he kind of has this habit of really wanting to play everytime I see him. Which is great. Don't get me wrong I want an active dog but even after I've had him out in the woods and such he can't get enough of "playing." I don't know maybe I'm too concerned about making mistakes with this one. I believe he'll be a good one after a while so I'm trying to make plans with him that don't include many mistakes. I'd appreciate any info or comments. Thanks again.