CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Treeing in holes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:27 pm 
IP:
Just wondering if anyone on here has ever trained a hound not to stay at a hole in the ground that he has treed a coon in? I have always wanted to try it, but have always been afraid I might mess a dog up on treeing if I do. Let me know how you done it, and if you have ever known of a dog being ruined by doing it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:00 pm 
IP:
Most folks who live where there are armadillo's try to break there dogs from holing. Holes can be dangerous for dogs. I have had a couple die in holes over the years. I guess if you want a dog to hole you need to praise it and dig out whatever it is in the hole and let the dog have it. This should reward the dog and get it to stay longer each time. Personally holes scare me to death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:57 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I've only had to do this like 2 or 3 times for my dogs... but what i did was yell at the dog and tell him to get out of there and then... every time they stuck their head in the hole or dug, i would shock them on low intensity at first and then increasing if they kept it up... i dont think i ever had to go past 3 on the shocker and after the first couple of times my dogs don't hole anymore, they just go on and keep hunting... in a hunt though, that 8 minutes becomes a bit nerve wrecking lol!

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i don't like to ever shock a dog for being on a coon that just goes against all that you have taught the dog. i have heard of dogs getting in holes and not being able ot get out but thats just a chance that you take hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my walker dog never stays at a hole. she treed a possum in a hole one time and i shocked her. ever since she want even bark in a hole she will just leave and keep hunting

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have broke dog for a hole i lived in wv for 9 years if i walk to the top of a mounten and my dog was in a hole that was a bad thaing and to me that was as bad as treeing off game.
how to brake them if thay treed in a hole i wood go to the hole have some one get the dog back cover there eye's do not let the dog see you do it but put 1/2 a bottle of amona in the hole get back and let the dog go wen thay run back in and put there head in the hole hold them in the hole how long is up to you if thay go back holed them longer the next time. i have broke 10 to 13 dog like that s/k or weeping a dog barking in a hole that has a coon in it is the same as doing it to a dog treed on a tree and to me that is telling the dog a coon is a bad thaing but the way i do it thay just know that a hole smale bad and thay will not do it to long do it as many times that you need to.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Iam with lck it could be a coon but theres a chance its a possum or a armadilla so you are sx one way half a dozen the other but i have herd of dogs gettin there throats cut . Just remeber its alot of work and dangerous to dig a coon out of a hole

Post subject: Dog goin in holes.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a young black and tan male who just started runnin and treein and is doin good but the last three times i went he has started tracking and come across a hole and went to treein in it. Two of the times im pretty sure there was a coon in them but the third time the other dog went right past the hole and treed on down. I dont want to woop him because he is a little skittish. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: Treeing in holes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

IMO, I would never discipline my dog for finishing a track. Yes a hole is dangerous, but it's no different than treeing on a den tree, you don't know what is in the hollow tree so are you gonna shock your dog off it?? I doubt it. So justifying not wanting them on a hole by saying you don't know what's in it is a weak argument. I understand you don't want your dog hurt but that's all a part of the game, you risk getting a dog hurt or killed everytime you turn em loose. I want my dogs to finish the track no matter where it goes but that's just me. As far as breaking em off holes, the ammonia idea sounds like a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

H

Last edited by Canadian Hillbilly on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

And what good comes out of finishing a track at a hole or a den tree I'd much rather have my dog keep going and find a coon on the outside. Awful hard shooting and peeling a coon when he's under the ground, and how do you know that track your hound FINISHED at a hole was even a coon if you can't see it!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Some dogs won't go in a hole. Guess it would be a good trait to check for before buying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:04 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Canadian Hillbilly wrote:
And what good comes out of finishing a track at a hole or a den tree I'd much rather have my dog keep going and find a coon on the outside. Awful hard shooting and peeling a coon when he's under the ground, and how do you know that track your hound FINISHED at a hole was even a coon if you can't see it!!

Well if you have dogs that can tell the difference between a den tree and a tree with a coon on the outside I'll buy some off of ya. And nobody said anything about roads, the subject was holes so trying to make me look stupid by going off subject was very childish of you. I gave my opinion just like everybody else and you're entitled to yours. I didn't say I know they have a coon in the hole, just like you don't know if it's not a coon. If somebody wants to break their dog off a hole then that's fine but unless you do something like the ammonia trick you do run the risk of confusing them when you discipline them. Instead of making a smart remark to down somebody else why not give some advice since you obviously have the best dogs in the world and they know when a coon is in a den tree and they move on to find out sittin on the outside. All I was trying to do is give my opinion on holes, you hunt your dogs buddy and I'll hunt mine. Thing is, I've only seen a track end in a hole maybe 5 times. That's why I wont discipline them for goin to one. Guess I should just come up there and take some tips from you on dog training.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hh

Last edited by Canadian Hillbilly on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Like I said before, I wanna see some of these ultra-smart dogs in action. Gonna have to take a vacation and come let you teach my dogs how to tell the difference between a den and a regular tree. By the way, I have no insecurities and you didn't hurt my feelings, I write my responses with a smile on my face while shaking my head. Like I said, you hunt your dogs and I'll hunt mine. As far as roads go, I understand your point and I try to avoid roads altogether but that wasn't the topic so there was really no point in going there. Also you obviously want your hounds to FINISH a track too and that was my point, I want my dogs to finish a track no matter where it ends. Like I said I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a track end in a hole, if my dogs were constantly ending up in holes, I myself would question what they were running.