CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:06 pm 
IP:
mjh18 wrote:
Thats awesome to hear about stinger. It sounds like everything is going good. I wish i had all the time that you have to train my dogs so thouroghly like you do. Do you breed your dogs yourself or do you buy them from someone? It seems like you have such a natural breed of dogs.

Thanks for posting mjh18, you made a very important comment about time spent training. The truth of the matter is this. The vast majority of people overtrain or spend way too much time "training" their dogs. If you can decide on exactly what the dog needs and why the dog needs it and exactly what your going to do to meet the goal and then stick with the training goal, the session should not take more than about ten minutes a day give or take. You have probably read some of my post's where I have mentioned that "less is more" when it comes to dog training. The second your dog does something right, put it up and take the rest of the day off or grab up another dog and work on it. It is all about knowing what needs done and having a plan. Patience and having a plan is the secret. It really does not take much time at all to train any dog if done right.

I do breed, raise and train my own dogs as well as use dogs from other proven breeders. Thanks again for your input. I hope this helped.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah, it really did help out. So I guess I've been doing something right all this time. Also one question. I know someone posted something about letting a coon thaw out before doing a drag if you've had it in the freezer. Is it okay to keep freezing and unfreezing a coon and doing drags with that same coon, or would it loose some of the scent? That's what I've been doing so...yeah does it matter if I do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:04 pm 
IP:
mjh18 wrote:
Yeah, it really did help out. So I guess I've been doing something right all this time. Also one question. I know someone posted something about letting a coon thaw out before doing a drag if you've had it in the freezer. Is it okay to keep freezing and unfreezing a coon and doing drags with that same coon, or would it loose some of the scent? That's what I've been doing so...yeah does it matter if I do that?

I think it would depend on a lot on the conditions. I very seldom if ever thaw them out to use for drags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LCK I read that u are going to wet the coon down before u turn it out for her
do you do this each time you turn out a caged coon?????

MEL MALONE
TO HECK WITH SAVING SOME FOR SEED...THATS MOTHER NATURES JOB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:06 pm 
IP:
mel m wrote:
LCK I read that u are going to wet the coon down before u turn it out for her
do you do this each time you turn out a caged coon?????

This also depends on the conditions. Keep in mind that I live in the second most arid state in the nation so it is pretty dry most of the time and wetting the coon helps with the scent. I have come to understand that in some more humid parts of the country wetting coon is really not needed do to the humidity etc. I also need to point out that I generally will only put out two or three coon for young hounds, just enough to get em going then once they kind of show some potential to at least give it a good college try so to speak, I start hunting them off of feeders or where I am pretty sure a good hot track will be found before too long so they don't go gettin into trouble running faster game etc. Like drags and caged coon fighting, released coon is very easy to over do. It is simply a good way to to get started. I make every effort not to over do it with drags, released or caged coon. It really just depends on the dog and what it needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've done about 3 drags with my plott. She shows very much motivation to try and find the coon, and she always finds the track and where the track ended. I usually rub the coon against the tree to make it seem like it climbed up the tree. She can't find it though until I lower it down, then she goes nuts. You say it depends on the dog what the training steps are like next. I was wondering if I should next release a caged coon in front of her. That's what I plan on doing next weekend. Would this be something that I should do, or what do you recommend???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:49 am 
IP:
How old and how much pre training has been done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

16 day until 1 year. The drags that I mentioned in the last post and 2 caged coon and that's it. A good bit of woods time also at day and night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:47 pm 
IP:
Turn a couple loose for her andd have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:57 am 
IP:
LCK,
My pup is about 4 months and i have been running drags for her and she follows them and gets to the tree and sniffs it and then walks all around the tree sniffing the ground and then comes back to the tree. But she wont bark yet is this a problem or will she just start when she is ready. also she is a runt in the litter and just to small to be shown a live coon i think. She will follow the track but just wont bark and i am worried she will get in to a habit of doing that.

Thanks,
Clinton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:05 am 
IP:
I wouldn't worry a bit about doing drags for this puppy right now. Just take a lot of time with the pup and let it be a pup. Walks in the woods, ridding in the rig, being around other dogs, simple basic obediance but hold off on the hunt training for a while. You just run the risk of too many things backfiring. Keep in mind that puppy's imprint everything and more often than not they tend to imprint on the wrong things if messed with too much too young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:51 pm 
IP:
what if i use a coon hide to play tug of war with her would that hurt her?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:49 am 
IP:
It won't hurt her, always try to take it away from her while she still really wants it. Don't let her get tired of playing with it and lose interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:20 am 
IP:
Well, I think tonight is the night for Stinger to get used to the dark! I suspect we will run into a few skunks and probably a porcupine and certainly some deer. I plan on taking her to an area that has a good number of tight fences and cattle. There are good coon numbers there as well. She is well conditioned to the e-collar and has been doing well on released coon. I think it's time to introduce her to the dark. I will put her with Heavy the pup trainer. He is straight on cats or coon and slow on track but accurate and decent at the tree. If they do strike up a coon she should be able to "anchor" off of him and we will see what happens. I have fresh batteries in the camera and the e-collars are charged up. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:10 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sounds GREAT LCK!! Be sure to let us know how it turns out and share any pic.'s ya get!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next