CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:36 pm 
IP:
LCK,

Do you think it would be good for a pup to start training on drags at 3 and 1/2 months or at about 16 weeks or do i wait longer.
Also, i don't have another pup to run with this one and i don't know anyone who does so what do i do about that.

Thanks,
Clinton

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:31 pm 
IP:
I think it is fine to start these pups with drags as long as you keep em short, to the point and no sight work. Remember to put them up while they are still very excited about finding the drag. That is the secret.

Post subject: couple of questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My walker is doing better, the one that is about 2 years old. Well the only thing iv'e done with the walker and the plott is show them a caged coon. The plott at 9 months old, went crazy and the walker was scared but soon joined in. I put the caged coon in a tree, and they both started treeing the coon. I couldnt help it, seeing to it that they are my first coon dogs, I let the coon go in front of them and i let them kill it. Soon after i did a drag, and they both watched me go into the woods. They both picked up on the smell not right away but after about a minute or two. I put the coon in a tree and the plott was unable to find it but the walker did, they were both right below it. Now this is the only thing iv'e doon with both dogs and iv'e only done it once, im trying to catch another coon right now, and when i do i was wondering what in the world would be the BEST thing to do with each individual dog?? I was thinking doing some no sight drags like you were talking about doing with young pups, but im not sure?? Do you have a different input on each dog??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Very smart, patient training. Training always works better when you think like a dog and not like its a 12 year old kid. Keep things simple, yet keep them effective. No matter what you're training your dog to do, always try to end it with a happy ending that has brought along results. I can never understand why people take their young dog (10-12 months old) hunting when the dog has never rode in a dog box before. Then they wonder why their dog is scared to death to do anything when they get out hunting it. Always prepare your dog for exactly what it is going to do and what is going to happen to do it BEFORE you try and pressure it to do it. Very good training advice and tips lck. I'm sure it has helped quite a few people on here.

Sire: NITECH "PR" Farrow's Littleman
Dam: "PR" Farrow's Spunky Spider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:03 am 
IP:
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How are things going with Stinger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 am 
IP:
Stinger is doing very well. She is growing up and filling out, starting to muscle up and get some depth to her. I have been pleased with her rate of maturity lately. I think once we start working with young dogs and pups with basic obediance and exposure to the trappings surrounding hunting it is confusing and a bit overwhelming at first. After a while, with consistant handling and firm boundary setting they settle in and settle down. I have been seeing this from Stinger. She has had a great deal of time in the daytime woods this winter and a good solid introduction to the e-collar and deer and elk breaking. I think it is time for some night time outings. Not so much for hunting but as a continuation of what she has been doing in the daytime. Will she strike up a track? I don't know. I am more interested in just getting her used to being out and being handled in the dark. Might get a chance to correct her on a few skunks and porcupines. She has not been put on any drags or caged critters yet and I am in no real hurry to do that yet. Who knows, might not have to at all. We will just have to see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:26 pm 
IP:
Stinger had a very good day today. I took her along with a few other youngsters out for some roading and handling. She seems to be catching on to the routine pretty good. She is starting to respond to the tone only feature on the e-collar and is learning to pay attention to what is going on around her as she goes along. To me this is the first solid progress a dog needs to show in order to move on to other aspects of hunt training. I also introduced her to the gun today. After about a 6 mile run/trot including a good deal of handling she was pretty much settled down and a bit on the tired side. I had my Son walk out through a sagebrush flat for about 150 yard with his .22 rifle. Stinger was on the road just in front of the rig and he started shooting. She heard the small pops from the gun and went to the noise. He just kept shooting as she got closer. She went right up to him and watched him for a few seconds then just wondered off sniffin around and eventually just came back to the rig and laid down. This is a pretty good way to introduce a young dog to the gun. No surprises, no drama and kind of boring. The pups first reaction should be curiosity and not a startled response. She investigated the noise and found it to be just another of the many things encountered while on an outing. She will go through several more very similar exposures before she hears gunshots while trying to tree. I think I will take her along tomorrow night for a short outing in the dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think that's a great idea for you to keep a distance from the dog and letting him come to you. I guess it doesn't startle them as much. I also have a question. Would chaining a dog up next to you and shooting a .22 be good or bad exposure to the dog??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:45 am 
IP:
mjh18 wrote:
I think that's a great idea for you to keep a distance from the dog and letting him come to you. I guess it doesn't startle them as much. I also have a question. Would chaining a dog up next to you and shooting a .22 be good or bad exposure to the dog??

Very bad. 99% of gunshyness is man made. This would be almost a sure bet to make a pup gun shy. Gunshyness is probably the number one problem I deal with in training "gun dogs" no punn intended. It does not have to be this way but very few new dog owners give introduction to the gun much thought until it is too late and the damage has been done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks a lot for the tip. That's what i was planning on doing with my dogs to get them used to a gun. Well, now i know not to do this. I'm glad i was informed before i started doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know that several people coon hunt different ways. LCK, do you hunt from the truck and drive down trails until the dogs run across a track. I'm just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:08 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I think that is a good idea.I have two coonhounds they are both walkers. one is treeing and trailing the other one is just trailing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:22 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

how is stinger doing. do you know how to break a dog from being gun shy? one of my dogs is gun shy, but my other one is not. do you know how to stop him from being gun shy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:42 pm 
IP:
mjh18 wrote:
I know that several people coon hunt different ways. LCK, do you hunt from the truck and drive down trails until the dogs run across a track. I'm just curious.

I hunt several different ways. I mostly walk hunt the dogs and just go wherever they go for coon. I do a good bit of road hunting in the winter for Bobcat and Lion. This is just letting the dogs out ahead and following along in the truck until they either get tired or find a track to run. This is a very good way to work on handling and trash breaking as well, not to mention it keeps the dogs in shape. I also like to rig hunt. This is putting the dogs on top and driving along until they strike a good scent and then letting them down to find and run the track. This is done mostly for bear hunting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next