CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:23 pm 
IP:
hawlerhunter wrote:
LCK,
I may have missed it but i have a ?....Why do you pull the dog off when he/she is at her peak of aciment and then put up for a few days?

Thanks!

This is probably the single most effective thing we can do with a dog in training to help them advance better and quicker and have far less issues later on. We are in affect stopping the dog before it decides to stop out of fatigue or boredom. This ensures that the dog/young prospect is always wanting more. It is almost like magic to see how much drive to hunt, tree etc. this builds in a dog. Letting a dog get too much on it's own, while developing skills and habits teaches the dog to quit too soon. I have seen countless dogs just quit when the going gets tough or they get a little tired. Using this technique while training will build no quit, high drive, hard hunting dogs as adults.

A dog learns from or by association. If the lesson is learned in a split second, it is learned. Over doing it only causes more problems than good. There is nothing better than hearing a solid young dog hang a tree and not having to RUSH to the tree in fear he/she is going to leave. If you pull them off and put them up while they are at their peak, you will never have this problem.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks LCK,

I appreciate the response! I am goin to be gettin a 8 week old pup soon. And this article was amazing, I think it will help my pup out greatly in her future! Thanks for everything i might have a few more questions!! Thanks for all your help.

Also, Will this same excise(taking dog off tree at peak) work for a 3 year old male dog? He only gets to choppin hard if its a hot tree or another dog is with him, if neither one of those things were there he would just bawl real quiet.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:18 am 
IP:
hawlerhunter wrote:
Thanks LCK,

I appreciate the response! I am goin to be gettin a 8 week old pup soon. And this article was amazing, I think it will help my pup out greatly in her future! Thanks for everything i might have a few more questions!! Thanks for all your help.

Also, Will this same excise(taking dog off tree at peak) work for a 3 year old male dog? He only gets to choppin hard if its a hot tree or another dog is with him, if neither one of those things were there he would just bawl real quiet.

Thanks again!

I would sure give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LCK wrote:
This is probably the single most effective thing we can do with a dog in training to help them advance better and quicker and have far less issues later on. We are in affect stopping the dog before it decides to stop out of fatigue or boredom. This ensures that the dog/young prospect is always wanting more. It is almost like magic to see how much drive to hunt, tree etc. this builds in a dog. Letting a dog get too much on it's own, while developing skills and habits teaches the dog to quit too soon. I have seen countless dogs just quit when the going gets tough or they get a little tired. Using this technique while training will build no quit, high drive, hard hunting dogs as adults.

A dog learns from or by association. If the lesson is learned in a split second, it is learned. Over doing it only causes more problems than good. There is nothing better than hearing a solid young dog hang a tree and not having to RUSH to the tree in fear he/she is going to leave. If you pull them off and put them up while they are at their peak, you will never have this problem.

will it hurt if i pull him off then hunt him the next day or next drop by your experince?

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 pm 
IP:
I would not pull him off and then recast again that night. This will only erase the lesson. I like to let em lay up for at leat 2 days, but overnight will work depending on where the dog is, in it's experience. The reason for pulling them off on a good positive note is dogs remember the last thing they did. You can controll this by choosing when to stop. If you re cast, you run the risk of ending on a bad or mediocre note. This is a big training mistake. Less is always more when it comes to dog training. The majority of people think more is better. It is not. A dog can learn a life lesson in a millisecond. Ending on a good note is key. This is something I try top preach a lot. There is a HUGE difference betwen training and practice and hunting. These 3 things should NEVER be confused. Most of us confuse practice with training and even worse, we tend to try to train while hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ok i treed one tonite and as soon as i got to him i petted him up good gave him an atta boy walked him back to the house stopped a few times and petted him some more. tied him back feed and watered him. and i plan to lay him up till atleast monday or tuesday. hows that sound? could i have done anything different? better or worse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 pm 
IP:
Sounds just right to me. Be carefull not to do much correction or obediance while on lead walking back from the tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

what is your best method on deteriming if a dog is cold trailing a deer or coon and what is your opinion on breaking scents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:30 am 
IP:
Running in fresh snow is the very best way to see for sure what they are trailing. I do not believe in or reccomend breaking scent. I have used Grawes training scents on a limited and trial basis and like it. Nothing substitutes for the real mcoy though. Put your dog on deer and in area's where you can see the deer and see what he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i have used the breaking scents on him and have had good results. sunday nite he treed a big old coon by himself. it was a cold trail. there were deer in the area. last nite i took him and he struck was running the trail good and treed on the next ridge. we started walking that way and when we started getting close he quit treeing.i walked over there and and couldnt hear him or nothing. but he still tracked close. i dont know if he the area.i hollared for him and he never came to me so i bumped him and he came in. do you think it was a bobcat? it could have jumped when it saw our lights. or maybe he just quit treeing. if so what would be the correction? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:49 am 
IP:
I would not correct the dog unless you catch him in the act of doing soemthing wrong. You only have about 1 second to deliver the correct lesson, good or bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:01 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i corrected him because he would not come in. if he was on a bobcat and i hollared to call him off wouldnt that be right? also what do you think hewas doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:41 am 
IP:
Hard to tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:09 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I was gettin ready to go to bed tonight when I came across this thread. Now here it is, almost 3 hours later, and I'm still up and enthralled by what I just read. I'm not exactly sure what to say in all honesty. How you trained your dog is exactly how I want to train mine....when that day comes. I even saved a seperate file of all the "high points" in your recommendations that I now have on my desktop for quick reference later. Your expertise, knowledge, ability, and willingness to answer questions over and over make this thread worth its weight in gold. (And if this threat were printed out in paper form, that would be alot!) Thanks ever so much for taking the time to keep this "journal." Kudos to you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 am 
IP:
:D Thank you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next