CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:29 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

She has tracked trails that are weeks old in crowded places. She tracks criminals that left the scene in automobiles. She has tracked numerous nursing home patients that have stolen clothes and changed their outfits. She has found drowning victims in floodwaters.
She prefers females for focus.
Heather, B&Ts are the same as any other hound. A well-socialized one does not need to kill its prey! Heck, hide hunters will not let any hound chew on the fur. A hound will be content to be petted up when it finds what it is looking for. Obviously, hounds that love people are best for search and rescue work, but if this guy has killer hounds, there's no reason they couldn't do criminal work... Does kind of make you wonder why they would hate people, though...

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Emily
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have no clue about the hounds (the BnTs) just know he was talking about using them to track escaped prisoners... I got the feeling they are encouraged to ruff up their prey.... I got the distinct impression the training THOSE hounds were getting was the attack type training....
I know a number of rescued BnTs that are active in SAR. They are NORMAL ones. I got the impression the ones used for the prisoners are less friendly to begin with...(chosen for the attack desires)... and then agressively trained. I know a line of winning AKC showdogs who would fit right into the criminal chasing programs.... sadly there is a good deal of agression in some lines. They are winning the comformation...so people are not breeding it out.... Saw it first hand this year in KY, I had been told about the agressive streak but assumed it was slighty exaggerated... it wasn't.
I prefer the coonhounds who want to lick their find at the end off the trail. LOL, I realize that the way I Worded what I said.. I made it seem THE MAN WE MET'S BnTS were being usedin the prisoner program! GAWD NO! He has dogs that KIDS show in the UKC...LOL I just reread my post... I have NO CLUE where the BnTs are FROM that are going into that "job"! For all I know they are aggressive shelter BnTS! The man we met has good hunting BnTs and gives kids hounds from time to time! I would hate for him to get on here, read it and think I was talking about him! I was talking of the BREED!

:shock: I think the Maple Hill Line fo BnTs would beone of the lines who would be the LEAST agressive!!!! It was a great line of hounds and there are still some out there... NOT doing Prisoner tracking!
Happyhunting, have a good night tonight, Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: SAR training
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I just got a couple bloodhounds and I'm looking for pointers on training them.

Post subject: Trailing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Anybody ever use a Bluetick for search & rescue, mantrailing, like in police work?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine