All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Porcupines
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:06 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Anyone have any Ideas on breaking a dog off fishercat and porkeypine
other than the old fashion ##*%* wooping LOL

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

shock collar might do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:33 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I was thinking that but u never kmow when hes doing it hes all coondog but everonce in awhile he trees a porky and theres been a few times run and quit track but the other night he treed i thought it was a coon saw eyes and then saw it was a fisher dident want to bust him for treeing ? Do I kill these things and kick but away from the tree?

Post subject: Hey there,
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:19 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have no clue but I had to say... You must be out in the WILDERNESS of MA! LOL.. I have NEVER seen a Porky in the wild! Fisher we do have hee in our area but not on our side of Wrentham YET....
SO, Good luck on the breaking, and being a total beginner I like to read all the SOlutions!
HappyHunting! Heather William

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:28 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

We drop a lot in the Spencer area place is loaded with both had a few in Pa but not like this go most nights with no problem but then look out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:37 am 
IP:
Porky's are tough to work with. You can catch them in a live trap by using apples and other fruits. It is best to try and break em young. Hide the trap and let em wind the porky in the trap and as soon as they commit to going into the scent push the button until they decide to move off of the scent. You may have to go up through the levels of stimulation pretty quick. Whatever you do do not shoot the porky's out where the dogs have any idea of what your doing. If or when they tree them, give em all kinds of heck at the tree, get a switch and loosin their hides good and move em on down the way. They know what they are barking at and this is a good way to teach em they are barking up the wrong tree. There is something about a porcupine that really turns a hound on. I sure wish I could tell you they were easy to break but they are not. Just keep at it. Porky's will eventually kill a dog. I hate em worse than about anything else. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:54 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

LCK,Thanks for the Imfo. will give it a shot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:00 am 
IP:
Well, after reading LCK's comment I'm feeling like a real jerk. Last night my dog found a couple porcupines in a tree and I was standing right there just watching him. Having never seen a porcupine I assumed the silouettes were coon so I didn't zap him or do anything. I couldn't understand why he sniffed up the tree but didn't bawl treed. He sat down and looked up and saw them (first time I've ever seen him use his eyes) and gave a few real soft bawls, probably because I was standing there and he likes to "impress" me. So here I am, praising him until I shine up and get one heck of a startle, and then I yell at my dog and I'm sure thoroughly confuse him. We tied him a hundred yards back, out of eye-sight and I shot the porcupine out, thinking "what a breaking opportunity for my other dog at home!"
Every time the dog sniffed the bag with the dead coon I scolded him very loudly. His interest in it waned, but now I realize I made one heck of an idiot move.

Post subject: porcupine question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

does anybody else hunt where theres a ton of porcupines?
do you try to clear them out or just hope for the best when ya cut loose? theres only so much anybody can do but anybody have any ideas other than shooting them when ya can or trapping?
does anybody ever have much luck on trash breaking from them like with one in a live trap?

i couldnt find any other posts really talking much about this but if there already is one just point me in the right direction please.

thanks, jamie