CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

What do I do about this. As you see in the pic, my female bluedog loves to climb the tree when she is treeing. In this pic she is about six to seven feet off of the ground. That is when I snapped the picture. She got about eight feet before she came down. If there had been any low limbs, she would have been in that tree with the coon. I am worried about her getting in a tree and falling out.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This is a very bad habit.That can get your dog killed.One of my good friends saved up for a year to buy a top dog.He found what he wanted.He couldnt wait to hunt the dog.So right after he got home with him.He went hunting.The very first dump he treed within a minute.By the time he got to the tree the dog was about 75 ft up.In about 30 sec he hit the ground killing the dog...He has never hunted again .....(The best way) to break a dog is with a shocking collar,and a lited collar..When the dog starts climbing start off on the 1st setting and keep going up until he stops.This will not hurt a dog treeing at all..It takes months to break a dog maybe even longer.You just set back and watch to see if he climbs.He cant climb unless theres low limbs or a leaning tree so it will take time to do it right.

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:08 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

haha its a cool pic though!! Mine tries to chew the tree down! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i dont kno what to do about it but down here at coondog day in north carolina when they have these contest things....the dog that trees the best wins and when they climb the tree like that it gives them points....so i thought it was a good thing

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

just dont want her to get up too high and end up falling out and hurting or killing herself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yea i understand that

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks Chet. I was just worried about killing her drive to tree if I shocked her while treeing. I will try this and see how it works. I dont want to end up having her fall out and kill herself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

A lot of guys worry about shocking a dog on tree.But the truth is .If they have a bad habit and you fix it. They usually tree a lot better...

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:02 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

But hey look on the bright side it made for a good picture right? lol I'd prolly die if my little girl climbed up the tree I'd be so scared...I dont blame you one bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:39 pm 
IP:
i like a climing dog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In knew a guy that had a bad climbing walker bitch. Where we hunted there were a lot of pines. You all know how the lower limbs on those pines die and break off leaving about 12" long snags sticking off the side of the tree.......well he had to take her to the vet in the middle of the night with her guts held in by tying a hunting coat around her. She fell and ripped herself open......be careful with those climbing dogs.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

thats bad

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject: dog is climbing trees
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:39 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i have a female walker that is the best dog in my area.. she is the fastest tracking dog i have ever hunted with and trees hard and will stay on the tree for hours, or maybe i should say up the tree for hours. that is the problem she climbs trees. if the coon is 40 ft. up she goes that high. i try to get to the tree as fast as possible to shoot the coon and when i do shoot it she comes down. she is a timid dog and i am working on that. and i used a shock collar once on her and she took off. so shocking isnt working.. any suggestions.. please help me. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would say quit shooting the coon down as soon as you get there. By doing so you're telling your dog what she is doing is ok. Next time get in there and get her down, whatever it takes, just get her down. When she is on the ground tie her back so she can't climb. Make it known you aren't happy with her in the tree, but praise her up once she is on the ground and treeing. Don't shoot the coon though, I would say do this a few times and see if she stays on the ground. If she stays out of the tree then shoot her a coon down. I say as long as she is climbing don't shoot a coon to her. If hunting with other dogs that stay on the ground, tie her back and shoot it to them. Show her the reward is for staying on the ground. Just my opinion anyhow. The e-collar will only do good if you use it right when she is getting in the tree. Try taking her out and putting a hide in a tree and let her go to treeing. Be ready so that if she starts climbing give her the pinch, do it everytime she tries to climb. Might take a few times, but should work. Have you worked her on the shock collar before?

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:21 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

well kind of. once a week or so i get on my 4 wheeler and go for a ride and all my dogs follow me. for excercise. sometimes she will kind of get sidetracked and head another direction and i give her a little jolt with the collar. evertime she takes off as fast as she can yipping.. then i have to follow her and try and catch her.