CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: how many caged coon
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i was just wondering how many caged conn you should show a dog befor you hunt him. i have a 6 mo old walker i want to train he is my first pup so eny thing would help. And i was wondering if you guys could give me like a ten step training scheduel that would help alot thanx.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

only one i would say because if you show him alot then he may only get excited about hunting when he can see a coon with his eyes so he wouuld not trail them.

"Dont think back it will hold you back"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:34 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Cage coon are way over used.A cage coon should only be used right before your about ready to give up on a dog.Thats not before 11-12 months old or older.How a dog re-acts to a cage coon has nothing to do with them making a good dog or (NOT).. Cage coon... (Just like drags)Drags are just used to start a dog and should not be done more than 2-3 times if they start treeing..((Thats it))The more you do drags can mess up a dog...I want my dogs to use and trust there nose 100% of the time..The last thing I want is a dog having to see a coon up a tree to tree...
You can start drags as early as 6 months then try once a month until they start.The average dog just starts at 8-12 months old..A dog should not be hunted hard until 11-12 months old..Just because most young dogs are just not mature enough to handle hard hunting until then..................MOST good dogs never have to see a cage coon..You can start them without using them...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: how many caged coon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my dog has seen 2 but only messed with 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I see nothing wrong with showing a pup a caged coon a time or two just to get them amped up about what they are supposed to be trailing. I do agree that this can be over done and will cause hounds to only want to sight trail the coon and not use their nose.

However, I don't think it is possible to over due turn-outs with caged coon. You can control nearly everything that happens, and can set it up accordingly with the hound's experience and/or ability. This forces the hound to use his nose, and you can choose how old of a track to put your coonhound-in-training on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have seen guys overuse the cage til the dog heads straight to the truck cuz they have seen so many coons come out of the bed they figure thats the best place to look!
I used a coon in a cage just long enough for my dog to get crazy over the coon, pulled it up a tree one time so she could practice treeing. Then i quit letting her see the trap, dragged the trap with coon in it through tall grass(after i soaked the coon with water to make the scent disperse better). then i left the coon in the trap and turned the dog loose on the trail. she found the trap about 100 yds away then i tied her back, let the coon go and tree. she treed him, i shot him to her, the never again will i show her the trap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok sry if I'm butting in but I'm also new at coon hunting and I got a new redtick today that is a year old and my best friend have it to me he said it has struck once when he took him a couple weeks ago but hasn't treed would it do me any good to let him see a live coon?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Brown3450 wrote:
Ok sry if I'm butting in but I'm also new at coon hunting and I got a new redtick today that is a year old and my best friend have it to me he said it has struck once when he took him a couple weeks ago but hasn't treed would it do me any good to let him see a live coon?

yes- just dont over-do it or your dog will like cage coons too much:) they are good to train dogs if you dont have older dogs they can run with

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks and I also have a 6 month old bluetick that trails a coon and will get on a tree but will not bark any advices on what I should do?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is kind of a different subject but i have a 20 month old walker female and will tree a cage coon and hates cats she will fight a cat and track and tree a cat. I tried to see what she would rather get a cat or a coon and she ran past the coon to get to the cat. From what i hear they smell similar why does she run past the coon to get the cat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Brown3450 wrote:
Thanks and I also have a 6 month old bluetick that trails a coon and will get on a tree but will not bark any advices on what I should do?

run that dog with an open mouthed dog. both my dogs that started out that way. one barked when i turned another dog loose on the tree. the other one i trained without a dog so I just kept encouraging her at the tree til she got so excited and started barking. now she barks every breath!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm wit Chet on this one, letting a dog stand face to face with a coon in a cage and bark at it doesn't teach the dog anything. I do believe very strongly in using released coons for pup training however. It is the best way to know for a fact that you are putting your pup on a workable track. I even let the pup watch me release the first one or two, I don't let him get close, but when he sees the coon running away, every instnct in his body tells him he wants to go chase it. That is the most effective way I have found to use caged coon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I found last night that putting a caged coon in front of two dogs is a hell of a gamble. The one I used last night made it out of the cage and ended up wrapped clear around Deuces head. He got it off his head and him and my brothers dog ended up takin care of it. We was beginning to wonder how it was going to turn out but we ended up lucky everyone was okay. I know I will definitely think twice before doing it again!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

wish i could have seen that ! It had to be a rush.On the other issue a little fur in the mouth never hurts . :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Brown3450 wrote:

Startin' that pup too young.