CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: drags?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok. I've only had the pup since Saturday and only have taken her to the woods twice. Both times she would go out at least 60 yards before coming back or looking back to see if I was coming. Maybe I could skin a tail and salt it for a few days and keep it in the freezer until I use it and then put back in for the next time.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That's normal for a pup that age. Some don't run that far. At that age I don't really work on tracking much. More on obedience and just getting time in the woods. They learn so much just walking in the woods.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got some dunlap trailing scent. About how much do I put on the drag?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
I got some dunlap trailing scent. About how much do I put on the drag?

You would be better off using a Coon tail. If you know any hunters ask them to keep the tails for you. What I've done is for one dog; play with him with the tail. Tie a string to it and tie it to a stick. I use about a 5-6 foot piece of string. That way you can dangle it in front of the pup. Drag it around and pull it up a tree. After doing that for a bit, keep your pup out of sight and pull a drag with it and pull it up a tree then have it find it. Keep him on the tree longer every couple of days and make the drag longer.
If it is a must to use the scent. Get a rag and leave it out side for a couple days to air out any other scents. For bobcat or bear I use a couple cap fulls. Make sure you wear gloves. After using a drag put it in a bag and then in a bucket with a lid.
Good luck and hope I helped.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks. I opened the scent bottle and my pup went crazy wanting it bad. I'll get a tail or a whole skinned coon skin so she getts the feel of the fur in her mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
Thanks. I opened the scent bottle and my pup went crazy wanting it bad. I'll get a tail or a whole skinned coon skin so she getts the feel of the fur in her mouth.

Don't over do I it with the fur either. Depending on how old she is now you will want to get that right out of use all together and introduce it to caged Coon and don't over do that either. If you over use the skinned Coon she won't know when a coon is done and if you over use the caged coon she will look for it while hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

HuntingMachinst wrote:
RTWojo wrote:

Don't over do I it with the fur either. Depending on how old she is now you will want to get that right out of use all together and introduce it to caged Coon and don't over do that either. If you over use the skinned Coon she won't know when a coon is done and if you over use the caged coon she will look for it while hunting.
She's 3 months now. She won't get to see a live coon until spring 9 or 10 months old. They will be hibernating here soon. I was just going to use a drag twice a week so she learns scent trail. And so she knows that the smell of coon is good, so this winter when I'm roading her and she hits a deer track I can correct her to not trail.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 4 month old pair of black an tan pups they are brother and sister i use a drag with them every day sometimes every other but i fool with them in some way at least a hour a day the male is seeking and finding and hard treeing the hide the female has only barked on tree once the best way i have found is go to huntsmart.com buy the coon hide and scent or go to any site you may use the scent i use is called coon trail . when i get time i will post video of these two so you can see its simply amazing to watch . now the down side to the drag is back tracking your scent to find the hide so you have to start them on a short trail maybe 20 yards or so and when they find the tree and there interested that what they have tracked is there make sure you can lower and raise the hide keep them excited the barking will come talk to them when they find it encourage them but only if they find it . hope this helps

Post subject: Re: drags? HELP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What am I doing wrong?
I can't find a road kill or trap a coon right now, I think they are hibernating now. So I've been using dunlaps coon training scent. I lay a trail down and my pup won't follow. But if she gets a whiff of the scent in the air she goes right to the tree where the rag is hanging and trees like she's been doing it for awhile.
Just now I laid a trail at a neighbors 1/2 down the road where she has never been. She actually ran across the scent trail stopped and followed it for 2 seconds and then ran off, she got to where I walked back to truck and followed my scent to the tree the rag was in.
What am I doing wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Put some on a rag and play with your pup with that rag. Play short games.
If your pup is to young and you run to long of a drag your pup will just get bored. It isn't sure about the scent. Don't work the scent to long!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She's 4 1/2months. She gets so excited if she just smells it in the air. Even from 60 yards or more away. I just don't understand why she will go straight to it by just winding it and won't trail the same scent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
She's 4 1/2months. She gets so excited if she just smells it in the air. Even from 60 yards or more away. I just don't understand why she will go straight to it by just winding it and won't trail the same scent.

You need to use that drag to play with her. Play tug of war and tie a rope to it and drag it to have her chase it letting her get it from time to time. Pull it up a tree and keep it up there until she barks at it. Praise her her a little for all her work.
Then after doing this for a while she will run a longer drag. Not to long, make it longer every time.
Where in Michigan are you located?