CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:11 pm 
IP:
some of yall sound like you live in my neiborhood,lol we must have the same neibors. cops come by 3 times a week bout mine.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have not had a problem with a dog not opening up on the trail when it has a collar on in the kennel, it may take a bit of time for the dog to get used to it. If you have the time (it dosent look like you have much but) take the batteries out or turn the collar off so the dog gets used to it and dosent realize that its the collar that is doing it. just the same with any correctional collar you dont want to make them think it is you or the collar that is causing them pain, just the action of doing something you dont want them to do. With my pup right now she has a tone on her shocker and had one on her bark collar and also one on the invisable fence at my folks when we are over there visiting, it only took a few times for her to realize if she hears the tone she better stop what she is doing or it is going to get uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:59 am 
IP:
I've used the bark collars and they work great! It will not affect them opening up when hunting. I only leave my collars on for a 12 hr period and then take it off for 12 hrs. When the bark collar isn't on them, I have a dummy collar on them.

Sometimes, I just put the regular hunting shock collar on them. I tell them to shut up and juice them if they don't.

Only use the bark collars on dogs older than 9 or 10 months......I never use one before that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:33 pm 
IP:
thanks for the info i got a 6 month old and she just wants to play but the people next door are callin the cops on me everyday. i was about to put one one her but i was kinda scared to with her being so young. what do yall recomend at that age.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

for all the people with neighbor problems, just find something wrong with your neighbors and call the cops on them. A lot of neighborhoods have strict rules. I dont care if they are watering their lawn on the wrong days or having an affair. If you can find something on them and tell them about it they will learn to stop haha.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:54 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I have the same problem but the neighbors arn't gripeing yet. I have had a lot of dogs with the same problem over the years though. I have used the bark collar's but don't really like to. What I do is put a shock collar on them and when they bark I tell them to shut up. Then when they don't I will shock them for not minding. It takes a little more effort but is well worth it. It gives your dog attention to your command even out of his sight and you and your neighbors some relief. Then the dog can still bark at things it should bark at and the law can't do any thing about that. You will need a good shock collar for training down the road any way so it isn't even any extra expence. If you get a Dogtra collar after you shock them for barking a few times you can use the vibrate button and it will shut them up too. I don't becouse I use the vibrate as a come command. Good luck
By the way Dogtra collars are very good quality. It is what most law enforcement use. The hand held is small, they have like a dimmer switch like controll (so you can use any amount of elec. you need) and a nick button that makes obeidence training a breaze. If you ever own one you will probubley never own anything ealse. At least I won't. They allso are rechargable BUT unlike others when the batteries do go bad. They are batteries you can change. No sending them in. Do a search for Dogtra and check them out. They are tough as nails too.
You can allso get an old freezer, cut a hole in it, put wood chips in it, put a wire door on it and lock the dog in his house at night. It will crate break him,muffel the noise and he will see and smell less to bark at. But I like training them to mind me when I tell them to shut up better. Goes more tword them learning to mind me on other things latter. Mine didn't bark at all last night he is 8 months old. I have had him 9 days. He comes even when he doesn't want to, he will leave things aloan in the house when told(I let him in svery now and then) and he shuts up when told and isn't barking at every little thing so I know if he is barking there is a cat or some thing out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had a black and tan that i put a shock coller on and he got it off and destroyed it lol!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I havn't tried a collar on mine but if it came to that point i would consider it. my dogs aren't kennel barkers, in that they don't bark all the time, they just bark when another dog, a cat, or the like comes by at night. During the day it isn't such an issue because most normal people are at work then. (If they don't have a job, I really don't care if they are pissed or not). A simple fix is to just add a door to there house or crate them up in your garage or something. Dogs don't mind being crated up at night in fact once they get used to it they actually enjoy it I think. My lab will go in his on his own most of the time. A cheap plastic dog carrier works well for me. Takes alittle effort on your part but is an easy fix. Just a quick note if you live in town and allow your dogs to bark all the time you are making people with hounds or hunting dogs look bad. We already have enough image problems, take some responsiblity and deal with the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:12 pm 
IP:
One of my hounds is a problem barker and needs to wear a shock collar. I prefer bark collars over the remote shockers because then every single time the dog barks he gets a zap. He doesn't learn that barking when I'm at work won't earn him a shock, or when I'm in the shower, or when I'm not holding the transmitter. My fool dog is an idiot at commands, but he'll learn how to bark and get out of the fence in .03 seconds if I'm not on top of him. I imagine if you have a really smart dog who is eager to please you a remote shocker might train him to not bark inappropriately, but my own dog could care less about pleasing me and more about barking at blowing leaves.
His bark collar cost about 50 bucks; I expect this one to break after about a year's worth of use (like the last one). No way am I going to put my tri-tronics on him when he's unattended. Too much money there to risk him getting it off and chewing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:26 am 
IP:
Y don't you just do it the ole fashion way? Whenever u get woke up at three o'clock in the mornin take u a good switch and go out there and tell them to wshut up. Then switch them then go back inside. If the start barking again do the same thing they will eventually gat tirede of being wipped. This is how my dad has trained all of ours to not bark at the house.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:44 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

rancher4x4_07 wrote:
Y don't you just do it the ole fashion way? Whenever u get woke up at three o'clock in the mornin take u a good switch and go out there and tell them to wshut up. Then switch them then go back inside. If the start barking again do the same thing they will eventually gat tirede of being wipped. This is how my dad has trained all of ours to not bark at the house.

For some dogs that method will only feed their barking as they got you to come out and see them. You are catering to their wants. You can see it as a dumb dog or a very smart one that does this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Cannot believe how inconsiderate some of you sound. No wonder hunters get a bad rap from some people. Shut your dogs up and invite a neibor to go hunt with you. Make friends of the sport, not enemies of hunters.