CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have two bluetick/plott mixes and they have been comming along great. they are 8 mnths old and I have been working on basic obedience and running them on some drags. Both dogs hit the trail good and will go step for step right to the coon but they do not back on trail or when the find the coon. I put the coon just up a tree out of their reach and they try to get at it but don't bark. If I take a dead coon and putt it ouside the kennel they'll bark all day long though. What can I do to get the barking on trail and on tree?

Any help would be great

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:24 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Stop showing them caged & dead coon.Put them in the woods and hunt the crap out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

coleman wrote:
Stop showing them caged & dead coon.Put them in the woods and hunt the crap out of them.

don't just put them in the woods, put them in the woods with other dogs that bark on trail and tree. that way they know what is to be expected of them. love up the other dogs when they are treeing hard, when your start love them up, if they aren't treeing good, don't love them up. you might have a pair of silent track dogs.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yes just hunt them with experinced dogs also alot of dogs dont bark on trail with a drag.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks for the tips.

I know a guy who has a real good trainning dog but he's been too bussy to get out with his dog. I'll have to see if i can get him out soon. I would like to have them in the woods while all the young coon are out runnning around leaving alot of good trail for them to get on to.

Post subject: PUPS
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Did you get these pups from a guy by the name or Wayne Frampton. I think that I have saw these pups in pics when they were real little. Just curious. Let me know something. Thanks a lot! Anthony

606-286-4375
anthonygarvin737@hotmail.com
Hunt with Walkers

Post subject: get your dog treeing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im working on the same problem with a walker pup. Try this, get a live coon in a roll cage or a live trap will work get your pups going nuts on the coon, then throw a rope up over a limb in a good size tree, tie the trap to the end of the rope and let it down to the ground when your dogs start going nuts pull the coon up the tree, once you get them treeing good pet them up real good. take the coon about 3,4 hundred yards away, tie your dogs back, get them going nuts on the coon again and then let the coon go, make sure your dogs see the coon leave the trap though, put the trap somewhere the dogs cant get to it. the coon will usually go up the first tree it comes too. then let your dogs go they hopefully will go tree for you. If they do tie them at the tree and let them tree for awhile then shoot the coon down to them. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:12 am 
IP:
I have seen silent dogs that will catch coon on the ground I don't suggest that you hunt them alone with kitten coon running around this will ruin them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Would it be better to get a caged coon and turn them loose on it after seeing me realese it to see if they will bark on a live trail instead of a drag or would it be better to just get them with a trainned dog as soon as possible so they can see what the other dog is doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:16 pm 
IP:
I hear a lot of people say take you r pup with trained dogs but until they know what it is they are hunting for the just babble and are just learning to bark.let the pups get bite by a live coon a little and they will pick up on the scent(let them fight it).It has always worked for everyone I know.Then after the coon is dead then do some drags with it to try and get them tracking and treeing.Don't drag it to far about 30 yds.Do it a couple of times.You don't wanna over do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

start em hard, start em young, i like taking cage coons lettin em track and tree it, let the rope go to simulate being shot out, pull the lid up and let em fight it, drags suck, dont use em, like my granddaddy who has had grntch after grntch he has raised, said god put them coons down here for a reason use em, aint nothin like the real thing

Home of: PR NTCH CHRIS'S MAC TIME MOLLY

If ya Wannabe a Huntin' Man, Get yourself a Black&Tan

Keep em Treed WALKER STYLE

If It's Red or Blue, It Just Won't Do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a half english half cur pup that does this same exact thing she will play with a coon tail and i tied her up yesterday and drug the tail through the woods and hung it up in a tree and she followed it step for step never making a peep the whole time. She found the tree and sat down and just sat there looking up at it? Do i hunt her with some older dogs that know what there supposed to do or show her a live coon or what? Shes only 5 months old.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thats the way my dog was for the longest time. we took a cage coon, held the dog 10 ft back let it go and athe dog saw it run up the tree. well got real lucky he went up a very small tree so i shook the tree made weird coon noises shook the tree, smacked the tree with sticks and after every few barks peted him up real good. i think thats what really gets the dogs fired up. i finally got to shake the coon out and let the dog fight with it for a a little. i always have really bad luck with dead coon drags but dragged a cage coon and put it up a tree didnt do too bad. i always talked to him yellin talk to him or get em up there when he stops barking so he associates yelling bad petting good. but after the dog starts gettin better dont talk to him so much, unless your just pleasure hunting, im trying to comp hunt. so you cant talk to your dog in the hunt. hope things get better

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This sounds like my 2 year old walker gyp. I've had her about 2 months I got her from my cousin as payment for laetting him breed to my brood female. Well she is 100% silent on track and tree not a single bark, yip, whine, or booger bark and 100% independent I've carried her with my trainer the past 6 drops and she goes hunting but gets away from my pup trainer and won't even go to him when he strikes and trees. I love the way she hunts cause she makes a 300 yd circle checks in then makes another 300 yd circle in the opposite direction but she just won't open her month. My garmin has showed her treed for about 10 min on 3 occations and still nothing. My cousin turned loose 4 caged coons for her 2 in day and 2 at night. Day she treed her head off and at night she didn't bark but would be standin on tree looking up with coon up the tree but no barking. Thats all he did with her until I got her. What do ya'll suggest about this I don't know about doin a cage coon with her since i feel thats what got her silent in the first place is the day coon? I'm just puzzled on how to help a dog that won't stay with the dog thats tryin to help her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 pm 
IP:
idk thats a tuff prob id say if she ever does get treed with another dog tie her back and shoot the coon to the other dog..