CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:58 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the method where u put the deer gland in wire attached to electric fence just wanted to know how good this method works

NTCH PR PKC CH CHOPPIN CHEDDAR RAE (4WINS TOWARDS GRAND)
(brussel sprouts roast x pearl blue roast)

PR TREE BLITZIN FAST CASH (SPLIT TREEING A 5 MONTHS OLD)
(nothern blue dancers son x choppin cheddar rae)

WHERE TREE DOGS ARE BORN NOT MADE!!!!!

I COME FROM A LONG LINE OF SINNERS LIKE ME

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

IF John Wick said stand on one foot, pat your head and rub your belly while clucking like a chicken and your dog will tree coons, take it to the bank,brother- it will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:23 pm 
IP:
I use it and it works. Seems to work especially well with very young pups at around 3 to 4 months old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

lck do you break your dogs before they run off game??? the reason i asked is i am planning on doing just what yall are talking about with the gland and a hot wire BUT i was going to wait till or if mine run off game or do i need to do it now??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:15 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I know you asked lck, but I'd like to stick my .02 in.Any correction youcan do in the yard is an aggrivation you don't have to put up with in the woods at night.The way this method works is that the dog's curiosity takes him to the can for a sniff.When he gets a sniff, BAM! he gets jacked.He'll most likely run away, but he'll HAVE to go back for another sniff,and BAM ! again.His nose is the most sensitive part of his body, and EVERY time he smells that particular scent he gets lit up.That's what breaks him.He'll associate that smell with the pain of the zap.That's why alot of good, broke dogs will come back in and "tell" on another dog that's running trash.The best part is, you don't have to be anywhere around, so the dog doesn't associate the zap with you and think he can get away with it when you're not looking.And DON'T go with the bargain basement breaking scents.If it doesn't smell like the animal you're trying to break him off of, it won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:59 am 
IP:
Sorry it took so long to respond back Mel M. I have been out of state with my cadaver dog team. Yes I try to break them of off game before they get a chance to run any. It just seems to help in the long run. The ones I have been able to do this with have, in time, still took a hot fast trash run on occasion but it seems to very much shorten the time it takes to break them in the field etc. One thing I have noticed is that the young hounds that have been through this don't seem to start the deer race, but they do get pulled into some if other dogs start them so there is some field work that goes along with it. I agree as usual with Coleman. The more work done in the yard makes it easier in the field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

thanks guys i guess i will be putting me gland on the fence sooner rather than later
coleman about your .02 i'll take em anytime
sorry for hijacking your post hntwitcurs

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:45 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Where do you find good deer scent to break young dogs??? I've been wondering about the same thing.....I like the hot fence idea, but I've heard bottled scents and such aren't worth the bottle their in. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

btt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:36 pm 
IP:
I'd just take your dog to a field full of deer turn it out if It starts to run them shock the H3ll out of em.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i would not do this to a pup and probably not to any dog. i agree more with the guy who said take em to a field full of deer and shock em if they run the deer, but i wouldnt do that either. take those young dogs where there is lots of coon, there will be deer there,too. if they run a deer, then you have a problem to correct. i have raised pups to be finished dogs that never ran a deer in their life. some of em actually are natural coondogs like they're supposed to be. hunt your dog first, see what problems he has, then correct. also, it is fact,(i have discussed this with a microbioligist)that you can not buy anything, or harvest a part from an animal, that will smell exactly like that animal live on the hoof. the second an animal expires, or urines or glands are harvested, decompisition begins, altering the scent. i know breaking scents can work, though, i have used them with mixed results. all i am saying is, dont trash break until there is trash to break off of, and break while that offense is happening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

John talks about many different ways it in the books.They should work with most dogs.. But Some dogs are really hard headed and Very hard to break.They have fun running off came more than when they run a coon..I feel most dogs learn to run off game from other dogs or from hunting in areas with only a few coon...Where I hunt theres plenty of coon and deer and other off game...I see deer just about every night out hunting...Ive had very good luck with my dogs.Ive had very little trouble keeping them from running off game..But I watch what I hunt my young dogs with also.....LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't laugh but try to get your hands on a billy goat. i have about a half acre fenced in that my hounds can run around while I am cleaning out their kennel. I use a billy goat to control the grass and weeds. They are the most natuarlly smelling animal to the deer and can be used in a real controlled method. Let your hound near them, attach a shock collar, if they show interest, blast him. Do this every day until he loses interest. Trust me it works, plus the goat will head butt him while he is getting shocked! It won"t take long and you kill 2 birds with 1 stone! You can buy a goat for 15.00 bucks. Wicks method will teach him to stay away from fences as well as deer. If the coon crossed under the fence the hound will not cross and run up and down the fence like and idiot. The goat is the best way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:52 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i heard recently from a hunter that the wick method made his dog shy of a fence, run track right up to it then lay down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

showmecoon wrote:
i heard recently from a hunter that the wick method made his dog shy of a fence, run track right up to it then lay down.

That could happen. Dogs learn by association. If the young dog was more focused on the fence when it got zapped, it could have easily made the connection that fences zap you.

Just a side note on the " John Wick" method being discussed in this thread. Although I give Mr. Wick a good deal of credit for publishing his books, and writting about using the hot wire and scent gland, he did not invent the method. This method has been used for generations, by folks who don't know Mr. Wick, nor have read his books.