CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Slick!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:50 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Yea your right Varmet. A din tree isn't considered a slick tree unless they don't see a hole and like you said it doesn't take a verry big hole. So a lot of din trees are called slick. At this time of year you have sow's climbing the trees looking for holes to nest in. You have boars tracking the sows up and down the trees looking for them and before long you will have kittens climbing all over the tree playing and going back in the hole.
So at this time of year it takes a good smart experienced dog to check a tree good enough to know there is nothing up there. With out a real good dog it takes a good dog handler not to mess up a dog by getting mad at the dogs for slick treeing. This time of year it is almost imposible to know if a pup is just grabing trees or being fooled. The grabing trees you need to do something about and the getting fooled. They just need more experience. This time of year is a good time to put them back with a older dog for a while. If the young dog gets hung on a tree you can just coax him of and send him on down the track were hopefully the older dog is.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

here is what i would do you took him the other night and he treed 4 coons and other times he dont have a coon at his age he is like a teenager and as teens do he will get a little rebellious and obnoxious but he likes to hunt obviously and even more he loves to tree its what they live for and with your schedule changing he needs to adjust this is true but just like people dont like change neither do dogs leave him up for a couple of weeks if you have another dog take it instead if you dont see if a buddy will loan you one for about a month and take it make sure he sees you and this other dog goin huntin dont be afraid to make him jealous then after a couple of weeks take him with the other dog and shoot one coon per hunt never the last coon leave him wanting more
also while he is up shoot a coon on the other dog then walk right by his pin smelling the coon on the other dog will reinforce what he is thinking that he isnt doing the job right and better get his act together
he sounds like h can make a good dog just dont give up he is still real young he knows how he just needs to concentrate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my 5 yr old walker wont stop slick treeing he's done it 6/8 times he's treed. please help me!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

send him off the slicks.
progressively get harder on him when sending him off them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

mattjones wrote:
my 5 yr old walker wont stop slick treeing he's done it 6/8 times he's treed. please help me!!

In 1970 I worked a Plott owned by a man in Tn. The dog was a super on Bear but on Coon he was right about 10% of the time. He was a treeing machine and won every treeing contest. I've made the remark that he didn't bark at the tree-- he just reared up on it, opened his mouth and noise rolled out.

I evaluated him and took my best dog which was 100% and put them together two nights a week. when the Tn. dog treed and mine went on, I just ignored the dog and worked with mine until he came to us. Then I would pet him and tell him what a good dog he was, and shoot the coon out. I guess he started watching my dog because he slowly begin to work the trail to the end and be with Chief on the tree. Then he began to do it alone.

You could work your walker like this with another dog if the dog is 100%
on the tree but It wouldn't help to leave your dog and make him come to another tree if there wasn't a coon in it either.

In my years of hunting I have discovered ((AN absolute fact))
---If a puppy is smart its easy to train
---If a puppy is dumb its hard to train
---If a puppy is stupid it can't be trained Nuff Said
==========================
==========================
A Plott Doesn't have a Reverse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what these people are forgetting to tell you is when when u circle the tree you dont have to get wide in fact getting wide is just nagging the dog and the dog wont understand and you want to be a pro trainer not a pro nag so i am going to share a secret that most people dont know when a dog slick trees pull him off the tree and calm her down, i ussually scold the dog by yelling at it, when u have the dogs attention walk about 25 feet away from the tree then start to circle the tree and shine your light on the ground (never shine up)the dog will start smelling and when she smells the track then let her go and keep on doing this dont ever pull her off a slick tree and take her home

Post subject: Slick!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So basically when ur dog keeps on slick Treeing u are supposed to just circle it around the tree and send it back out. Or you just whip them off the tree and send them on?? What if that doesn't work? Any one got anything else to say on a puppy slick treeing???

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Btt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

some of them never do catch on . i had a female,she was older then yours ,bout 2 1/2 years old when i bought her.she treed 2 coon when i tried her and i never saw her actually have a coon after i put my collar on her.after 6 months i had whipped her off so many slicks that if i shinned the tree and then went to walk into her at the base she would split. she never could get it right. the last time i turned her loose i had to have someone else go in and get her cause as soon as i got near her treed she would take off.
some would say i ruined her, but in my mind i did'nt really have anything there i could ruin to start with.

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

bluecoonhunter wrote:
Any one got anything else to say on a puppy slick treeing???

alot of this is caused by trying to teach pups coon climb, people trying to make them tree minded. the only way a pup should get to be tree minded is by trailing tracks to and up the side of the tree a coon climbed.
if you work a pup on the tree and work it on the tree,then of course the first thing it will do when it smells a coon is look for the tree.
treeing is only a part of a dog being a coondog. todays dogs have so much treeing instinct bred into them it real easy to make them slick treeing dogs by trying to train them to tree. make the a dog want a coon,let them learn by tracking one that coons climb trees.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yea I think some of it is my fault like u said about the training part. I prolly made her to tree happy as a pup. But now I know and this is all a learning experience. I learn something new every day and every time I take my hound to the woods. So hopefully it'll get better

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

thats how you learn, i have cross threaded more then my share over the yrs.
actually when i just kinda gave up on training and just took a pup along and said well if it makes it, it makes it,if it don't it dont. kinda like the more i did'nt interfear the more of them made coondogs. i only stepped in to correct a few things along the way.

on the slicks i take a switch and chase them away from that tree while saying no,no. sometimes you got to hang around the tree or they will just circle back and tree on it again... but make sure she does not have the coon and you can see there is no way it just beat her by crossing over or something.. if a coon does that its not the dogs fault for not being right. i dont expect a dog to check a 50 yrd circle around a tree and all the trees around it.
i don't look for excuses for the dog treeing slick, but if i chase one off a tree its cause the only way the dog was right, the coon would of had to fly away.. no den, no cross over, just plain slick.
you can also teach a dog to re cast from a tree with a coon in it for the nite hunts with a similar method . so its a fine line between teaching one they missed the coon and them thinking you are just wanting them to go tree another.a slick treeing dog you got to give them a coon on the ones they are right on.a dog has to make the connection..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My grandaddy had a simple one liner about coon hunting. sometimes you get coons, sometimes you get skunked, and sometimes you get a skunk. But at least your in the woods with hounds a singin. With that being said I have an 18 month old bitch. With the same problem. Last year she got me 40+ coons and seemed she never missed a beat. Then she started getting sloppy.What I figured out was she was trying to push the track too fast. And getting to excited. So I hooked a big log chain around her. Its slowed her down alot . And she gottin a lot more accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If truth be told a lot of young dogs that just fall treed and the tree is slick there dogs are treeing off game squirrels , flying squirrels in the south. sometimes these squirrels use certain trees a lot and the sent is verey strong its not no different than a dog falling treed on a coon den just because the sent is so strong. If I shine a tree and its slick I would leave it in a hurry and tickle them with the shock collar just enough to get them to leave that tree most will get the picture about treeing off game if you stay with it. and will not want to tree them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

T Crump wrote:
If truth be told a lot of young dogs that just fall treed and the tree is slick there dogs are treeing off game squirrels , flying squirrels in the south. sometimes these squirrels use certain trees a lot and the sent is verey strong its not no different than a dog falling treed on a coon den just because the sent is so strong. If I shine a tree and its slick I would leave it in a hurry and tickle them with the shock collar just enough to get them to leave that tree most will get the picture about treeing off game if you stay with it. and will not want to tree them.

That is what I am saying too. If you hunt a young dog for a couple of years with some real coondogs you don't have that crap of a pup pulling up on flying squirrels or possums or lying. Yes , it takes longer than a litter of magic might be expected, BUT so what ?? if you have " unquote coonhunted for two months , then you really need to have a world burner by the time it is 6 months . But ,if you have a been coonhunting for twenty years and you have a pen full of sho nuff coondogs ranging from 2 years to ten years , then, so what? I give them some time/ No big deal to me . if I go out and hunt with a pack of dogs I WILL NOT be sitting on my ars awaiting for MR DOORIGHT to try to GETRIGHT at 6 months old. LOL I don't even want to know he is in the woods other than putting in and "Meetooing with my good dogs on a long track . LOL talk to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next