CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coonhound farm dog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:44 am 
IP:
I have a well bred walker Coonhound. I want to start taking her hunting this week but my girlfriend has brought up an issue. We live on a farm and when doing chores, fencing, etc......my Coonhound runs loose and does real well with staying around us. My girlfriend is worried that once she starts hunting, that she will start going after some of the smaller animals around the farm, ie the chickens, barn cats. I am starting her training at one year, wanted to get her accustomed to sharing the farm with those animals first. What do you guys think? I have had hounds before that wouldn't look at anything other than coons, but i have never been in a situation where the hound would have so much temptation as a farm before.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Coonhound farm dog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you are not having problems now you shouldn't have it after you start hunting it. I've raised dogs around chickens and made good Coonhounds and never offer to bother chickens after they started treeing coons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:40 pm 
IP:
I appreciate you replying. I'm going to start her tomorrow. I really want to see what she has. She's from the Finley River blood line

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:23 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree it is just like braking them of Deer. You encourage them when they tree coon and scold them when they do wrong. I'm not saying you might not have a problem or two but if you pay attention and act quickly on the wrong they'll learn quick. A shock collar will help a ton! Modern technology was created for a reason. It makes life easy.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my opinion starting to hunt her on coon isn't going to make her any meaner or ill towards other animals other then coon. I have a male walker that is 18 months old he was raised in a similar situation, we have chickens and cats and he runs loose. He was raised with a cat that thinks he is a dog and loves dogs. my hound plays well with him and doesn't hurt him. His disposition towards the cat never changed when I started him on coon. He is however hell on chickens and has been severely punished and shock collar trained and still kills chickens. I have just about given up on him not killing chickens. I would expect how your dog acts now is how she will act after hunting, dogs know. I have a cur mutt dog and he wont touch a cat, chicken, duck, but is the meanest little throat crushing kill dog you have ever seen on a coon. hope this helps.