CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 9 month old Walker pup Tht won't leave my feet. I've had him get 300 yards from me and I've had him walk at my feet. Not real consistent. He has treed a turned loose coon before and pushed a couple tracks in the woods but I can't get him to tree his own in the woods if he won't go huntin. Any ideas would be appreciated

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You got to make him uncomfortable when he's staying with you and should be hunting. A small switch will do. Do it every time he comes back. Do not pet him when he's standing around but make sure you love him up when you call to him and he comes back. Hunt him in thick coon also because when he starts hunting and he's able to strike coons easy it will reinforce the hunting desire.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the dogs prey drive is low. and its not hard to figure out why it is. he is young, he has not been exposed enough to coon to trigger his prey drive.
in other words he does not know there are coon out there for him to get after because he has not been hunting enough to know if he goes looking he will find them. (prey drive).. it takes a lot of boot tracks in the woods to get a dog from know nothing pup to started dog.. much less to full blown coon dog.
using a switch may make him not stay near you as mentioned above. but more often it will just make the dog go hide because they are confused as to why you are chasing him away from you..
there is no big trick to training a coondog to go hunt for, find a coon track , pursue it and work it out to a tree and stay there and tree bark for it. all that is bred into the dog if it is bred right.. and what dogs names are on the papers aint what determines if its bred right or not. if the dog has the right tools bred in all you have to do is get the dog coon crazy.. you have to get the dog to want a coon bad enough to do it. you get him to want a coon bad enough and it will go find , work the track and tree without you doing anything else. so the big question is how do you make the dog want a coon. you're not gonna make the dog want a coon unless you expose it to coon. if it can tree a released coon then walk it some, sit some . if it is going 300 yrds sometimes it is a start. first get it through your head that the words coondog pup and consistent do not belong in the same sentence. it takes a lot of nights and a lot of exposer to coon before a dog will show you any sign of being consistent. there are many threads on this subject on this forum.. I do expect this thread will be deleted because there is so many found with the search option.. but I had nothing better to do than type this all out again. if you get to read it before its deleted then all the better..LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Toe cutter I'll have to say I agree with you for the most part ive used the method I mentioned above but it was on pups that were already running and treeing with other dogs but didn't want to hunt alone. Put him in thick coon I think would be best for him as of now. You could also turn loose some live coons but don't let him see it and then try walking him over the track. Toe cutter is right there is no magic one size fits all trick that will get him going. But do remember he is a pup and you wouldn't put a kindergartner in advanced algebra .