CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a young hound 20 months old that has treed her own coons and has tree with an older dog before.Last few nights I took her hunting by herself and she would hunt out about 600 yards and never made a sound.Cast her in another part of the woods about 600 yards again.still not a peep.Hunted her for about 3 hours this way with no luck.Took her the next night different area same thing.Hunted about 2 to 3 hours and not a peep.I would hunt her with the other dog but he has started slick treeing and I don't need her doing that.Don't know if coons were not walking or what but don't want her getting bored and start running off game.I have trapped coons and turned them lose and then wait a while and turn her lose and she has treed them also but about all the coons she has had were wild.I would say she has been under 10 coons and half of those she has treed.Thanks for your response in advance.Richard

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

"I have a young hound 20 months old that has treed her own coons and has tree with an older dog before.Last few nights I took her hunting by herself and she would hunt out about 600 yards and never made a sound.Cast her in another part of the woods about 600 yards again.still not a peep.Hunted her for about 3 hours this way with no luck.Took her the next night different area same thing.Hunted about 2 to 3 hours and not a peep"

just keep doing what you wrote above, that's how you progress a dog from being a started dog to being a dog that will go in and tree a coon alone.
taking your young dog through this phase will take a lot of patience and boot tracks in the woods. it may take many many many nights of doing just what you are doing.
starting a dog is the easy part and most anyone can do it.. the next step (where you are now) is one of the hardest most trying parts of progressing a dog farther.
it's why there are so many young started dogs for sale.
you are actually in a better place than most. you are a step ahead with yours. she will go looking for one. a lot of young dogs will just stand around and look at you when being singled out to do it alone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks Toe Cutter for the reply but I should of added she has been running tracks on the creeks by herself for a while now just couldn't move tracks that good so I've been hunting her by herself a while now and all the sudden it's like no tracks.Don't know what has changed and i'm hopeing you are right.Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

sorry,, I missed the mark with my reply on that one for sure..
probly more to do with the weather and/or how the coons are moving than your dog.