CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Got a female walker from a friend of mine I got her at 8 weeks now she is 27 months which is little over 2 years old and she won't go. I have caught 10-12 coins in cages she hates them turn coon loose she will track him and give some mouth but nothing really special so I took about 20-25 time last year and she never got more than 50 yards from me so this year I just started hunting her some by her self and some with other dogs and still no go will act like she can't wait on a lead but when off lead she goes 50-60 yards and turn and comes back. She did tree a possum the other night since it was her first tree I rub her and told her to get him and she treed for over a hour took her with other dogs last night male trees she just runs around like nothing finally goes to tree and starts to tree but still have to keep telling her to get on the tree next drop same thing 50 yards and right back to me

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Anyone can text.or call me if they want to know more or know what I should do 336-503-2470 thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

the one thing you can't put into a dog is a drive/desire. After the time you put into that dog, it should have already been running good. Its is a hard call to get rid of a dog when you have invested time and money into it, but its a call you have to make... I have moved a few down the road..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm going to hunt her till the first of the year and see where I'm at then if she is still doing the something i will give her away and try again. i will catch a coon sunday night and I'm going to give her a freash hot mad coon out of cage and whatever happens happens so i will update then shall be very interesting

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I normally don't post my opinion or advice but here it goes. Sounds to me like way to many cage coon. Start hunting her regularly in areas you know she will find coon, get her into some trees with other dogs if she doesn't tree with them tie her back and shoot coon out to them and go on, don't let her chew on one til she trees. After she has treed once or twice with other dogs and has some fur to her hunt her alone. 3 to 4 nighs a week for a month to 2 months ought to show a difference. She may never bust a hole in he night lookin to get treed but you should at least have somthin to go out and tree coon with. I've got a gyp that's about the same age, if walk hunted she'll tree coon all night by herself but wont much further than 200 yds by herself unless she hits a track. Suits me fine though. When hunted with my male she will go with him as far as it takes to hit a track. Set her up for success and stop the cage coon, give her 30-60 days of solid hunting in coon rich areas see how that works.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

UPDATE
I have hunted the dog 2 or 3 times since my last post i didn't turn a coon a loose for her so she has been doing ok still no distance just farting around and smelling but did come up treed and treed hard about 50 yards from truck tonight saw nothing up the tree next drop cut her loose by self and went 80 yards and came back to truck so i got a little ill and took a stick to her and she went 180 yards which it a little better and did a nice loop before coming back and was veery easy to catch so i rub her up and said maybe next time girl we will give it another go wed night

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

swish thanks so much for your input i will try and use that next time she shows up and the other dogs have the coon i bet she will hate that because she loves to get hair in her mouth just have to figure out how to go find it and then get it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No problem, glad she hunted better for you. I'm no trainer by any means but it sounds like she may have been hangin close to you waitin for the the cage coon. My gyp only saw one cage coon her whole life and then turned one out without her seeing it, truthfully I don't think it made a lick of difference in "training" her what made the most difference was gettin her in coon rich areas and on good tracks by herself. Try walking her up creeks or along woodline next to corn fields, places where coon will most likely be. Like I said she may not get more than a couple hundred yards from me now but she has gotten smart about the way she hunts, when I hunt the creeks in the mtns she will run the creek the couple hundred yards and most likely will hit a runnable track which also like I said that style suits me fine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

yea like I said she still has some room to grow but hope by Christmas she will be there and I could have messed her up by the cage coon I got one in trap now I think I will turn it loose and wait and make she don't see it and turn her out about 60-70 from where I turn coon loose and see what she does maybe she will pick it and run it out and tree it that's my plan as of right now and from now on she WILL NOT see another coon in a cage I think she will get it clicking just goona take some time her mom was a very slow also so maybe it still has hope for her.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't think that will hurt her to have a turn loose or 2 that she don't see but I wouldn't over do those either. Also before you turn it loose wet it down good so it'll leave a heavier scent trail. I wouldn't drop her out right on it, maybe cast her towards it. If she trees good on it assuming it's legal knock it out to her. Sounds like you're on the right track with her though. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks a lot I'll keep in touch with you on her here in nc they are really starting to move good we trees 5 time last night and saw 3 so it was a good night

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Good deal keep me updated be interested to hear how she comes along. I was having a pretty good season but haven't hunted in 2 weeks with our deer rifle season being in full swing. It goes out sat at dark so my plan is to hit the woods then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took her last night and put a E collar for the first time she wouldn't go so I gave her a little shock and boom 430 yards lol but she did a circle and came back to truck but I was 1100 yards from there and she came and found me and the other dog that was tree but never came to the tree where he was treed also didn't see a coon so we went to come back had a young guy that couldn't handle my dog on lead so I cut her loose because she will walk with ya and she opened up but it was a deer so 2 back flips later and a very short chase she came back to me and I put the lead back on

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took her last night and put a E collar for the first time she wouldn't go so I gave her a little shock and boom 430 yards lol but she did a circle and came back to truck but I was 1100 yards from there and she came and found me and the other dog that was tree but never came to the tree where he was treed also didn't see a coon so we went to come back had a young guy that couldn't handle my dog on lead so I cut her loose because she will walk with ya and she opened up but it was a deer so 2 back flips later and a very short chase she came back to me and I put the lead back on

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I guess I burnt my bitch out. She was getting better and better and then it's just stoped last 2-3 times I took her I didn't even have to put a lead on her I'm goona lay her for a few weeks if that don't work I'm goona give her away as a pet just at my endwith her maybe the 2 week lay up will help I hope so