CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Early starters?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

What's your definition of early starting pups, and does it even matter to you if they do?
Or do you even try and start one early, or just wait until they are older like year or older?
Everyone has their opinions and methods just curious whats worked or is working for you....I know people like to brag up early starting pups and etc..but I'm talking starting early starters and ACTUALLY turn into a coonhound not burn out etc..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Early starters?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It's just me but I start my puppies at about 8-10 weeks old using a coon tail and a set of coon feet tied together with zipties and a nylon cord. I give this to my grandson and the chase is on (don't over do it). At about 3 or 4 months old I use the same tail & feet to drag around outside the kennel fence then I lay a short drag about 50FT. to the first tree then turn them out and pull up a chair and watch, again don't over do it. Also about this time I begain to walk them in the woods.If you have a small creek it helps, teaching them to cross water. After your woods walk if you have two of them leash one and walk it out of the woods teaching manners. When they are about 10-12 months old I will set a livetrap in the woods that I have been walking them in. When a coon is caught I move the trap down to that small creek with the edge of the trap in the water. Come back and let the pups out when they find the coon in the woods I watch their reaction,IF they don't show fear then I let them bark at it just a couple of minutes. With the pups tied I open the trap give the coon a head start and cut the pups loose. But remember this coon was cought on his or her home truff and knows where to go. One caught somewhere else,been in a trap for awhile may not react the way you want. After this I start taking them hunting. hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:18 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That's interesting, I just know of people that say u should start hunting them at 4-5 months and people that say wait till they r year old..out of the young dog I've worked with it seems like the ones that start at a year old or even later I've had better success with getn them started and actually going but people I know around here seem to disagree a lot with me on this topic they want take them as soon as they get 4-6 months old seems like. I just wondering what other people thought.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have never been impressed with puppies that tree coon.
when I see them I think its cute, but I have to ask myself what kind of dog could it have been ?, if it was messed with when more mature and at an age that a pup should be exposed to it...
I prefer the term fast starters for the dogs.
early starters is how I describe the people that start them so young..

the way I read ronnies post is he is playing with the puppies and exposing them to the woods , creeks and stuff. at around 12 months old he is releasing coon for them and that is when he is actually starting the exposer to coon.

Post subject: Early starters?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yea that's how I was interpreting also..and which is similar to how I try and do it now I've had better success personally starting them later the last one was a 18 month old cur never been messed with and it turned out well I sold him to my sisters father in law because he hunted too close for me but that was what he wanted so it worked out well and he will tree coons...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Toe Cutter Hits it right a pup is a pup we should treat them like a pup. I remember in my learning process of training hounds I had a little Plott hound about six months old with alot of go so I started hunting him with the older hounds, and he had go. One night while hunting him in late summer we struck a long running coon, dogs got out of hearing and he was going strong in that hot long race. The next morning we found the hounds everything was OK except that young hound could'nt even hardly walk he was so stiff & sore. That pup never got over that,he was never the same again. Bone & mussle has nothing to do with heart and go but if you put them in the woods to young and they over do it they never come back.