CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 6mth male pup agressive
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a male pup that is acting ill towards other dogs. I really think this pup is scared of other dogs. The only dogs he has been around is my 2 yard dogs. I took him to my parents house, they have 2 friendly dogs and my brother was there with his 2 dogs. I get him out of the truck and right away the other dogs come in for a sniff and he growles and snaps at them. I pop him pretty good and tell him no, I put him on the ground and let each dog come up to him. He would tuck his tale and snap at the other dogs. maybe after 2 minutes he was fine didn't pay any attention to the other dogs. I have had him over there 4 or 5 times with no problems. Last week I was in the yard and my pup started baying and growling at my neighbors poodle through the fence,he acted like he really wanted to get him so I went over and scolded him pretty good. He acted the same way with the poodle as he did with my parents dog. Sorry for the long post, but do I need to just take him around more dogs?

THE THREE STOOGES

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:34 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My brother bought a pup that acted the same way, she would even get a lil aggressive toward people the first time she'd see them. It only lasted a couple weeks and now she's fine. Have your yard dogs ever shown aggression toward him? Maybe he had a bad experience with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The only aggression they have ever had towards him was just a quick growl when he was jumping all over them. They are both friendly dogs. My neighbors dogs are very aggressive towards other dogs. The first time I ever saw him act aggressive was towards them through the fence. He did it 2 times then I gave him a real good attitude adjustment and he hasn't been near there fence again. He stays in a pen when I am not home so that's the only aggressive dogs he has been around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah sounds like he has some fear issues, exposure is the best way to over come this. Exposing him to new dogs on a regular basis. It will take some time but if your persistant and consistent he can be brought out it most likely. You might want to consider contacting a local trainer. There is a lot of info on the internet if you Google this. Aggression is a tricky thing to correct some typical correction techniques may actually make things worse, so make sure your up to par on good correction techniques.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am going to start taking him to tractor supply and petsmart with me maybe that will get him out of it. I have another question, he has only seen 1 caged coon so far and he barked at it but never got face to face with it. That was bout 1 month ago, since then I have been taking him to the woods at night and just letting him do his thing. I caught another coon last night, should I let him see it or not since he is acting aggressive towards other dogs? Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:57 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Him seeing the caged coon has no bearing on him being aggressive toward other dogs. I wouldn't worry about showing him the coon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Some dogs are just messed up.It can come from how they were kept as small pups..One aggressive pup can really mess up the other pups...Cage coon I don't mess with a cage coon unless Im about ready to give up on a dog...It can get dogs so they have to see a coon to show any interest.It also has nothing to do with them making a coonhound or not...The most worthless dogs can look great on a cage coon and wont do anything else...And some of the very best dogs wont have anything to do with a cage coon...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Little update, took him to tractor supply Friday evening. There was no other dogs but a good bit of people he did fine except for the auto doors when you walk in he was a little scared but eventually with some coaxing he went in. I didn't let him see the coon until I let him go, the coon got out of sight and I turned him loose. It took him a minute but he finally caught the track and struck and treed it. The coon ran bout 1/4 mile before going up a tree. He kept coming back to me while I was walking to the tree but he always went back to the tree and started treeing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Good glad to hear, if his weakness is dogs you will want to expose him to other dogs, but make sure its in a controlled manor and with friendly dogs.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app