CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog won't bark tree
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:44 am 
IP:
I have a 15 month old walker that will open and run a track but does not tree.Last spring he would run and tree but not bark tree very much.I fired some blanks in the air to get him excited but he became gun shy.I have tried to cure this with little luck.On drags and caged coons he goes nuts and will stay treed.He hunts hard and almost always opens on a track but i have not seen a coon in two months.Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The caged coons may have taught him to look instead of smell. How many caged coons has he seen? Drags could do that too if he can see something up a tree. As far as him running a track every time you go, he may be running everything he smells. Remember, a dog will never tree a deer although they will run them. I would catch a coon and turn it loose at night without him ever knowing you did it. Let the coon have a head start and then take the dog there and let him go find it. I wouldn't turn him out right on it but make sure he has a good chance to run across it. That way you can evaluate what he is doing with a coon. If he runs it and doesn't come up with a tree then you know you have a problem. If he is just running around in the woods at night barking you really don't have a way of knowing what he is doing. Get him on a hot coon and reevaluate. Also, I wouldn't shoot up a tree unless the coon is going to fall out. A young dog doesn't know to be excited about that shot until he knows it produces a coon. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:15 pm 
IP:
He has seen about 8 coons.Most have been turned loose with a head start but he could see them.He will fight them and put it up a tree but will hardly bark.He has run deer and I've used a shock collar to correct him.When I had him out last I let him loose 2xs where deer had run across the road in front of me and he would not go after them.Thanks for the advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Don't let that dog see another coon unless he trees it and stays treed. If a dog can see the coon he has no reason to use his nose and once they start using their eyes it can be a hard habit to break. The only way to break it is to not let them see the coon until they put it up the tree alone. Force him to use his nose. If he can run a track and find a tree you can work on his treeing ability. Most don't come right out of the box hammering trees.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Believe this or not.But many well known handlers will tell you.They want a dog a little trashy to start with.They think they make better dogs when they finish them out...They think all dogs will run trash sooner or later..But thats not true well for me anyway...LOL.....The more you do drags rolling cages, cage coons and released coon will not help a dog..A little gos a long way..Just do enough to start a dog ...If they have it in them to make a coon dog thats all it should take...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

[If they have it in them to make a coon dog thats all it should take...[/quote]

very well said, sums it up right there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:05 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

When I have a pup lets say 8 to 12 weeks old i always show them a coon tail close to the time i feed them. I will take it and make hissing sounds to get them excited. I may do this twice a week lets say once on a monday and again on friday for maybe 2 minutes each time. I dont want them to ever expect it. I want them to want it. Then i will go maybe 2 weeks with showing them a tail once a week for maybe a minute. Then when I start training them around 4 to 6 months old I will take a fresh coon hide and put it in a trash bag and drag it around and bump trees and drag it way up in a tree maybe 20 to 30 foot. I will never let the dogs see me do this. I normally take 1 pup and a older dog the slowly let the pups start doing their own thing. again I dont do it but once maybe twice a month until they get around 9 months old then ill start trying to finish them. I dont want to burn the dogs out. I want them to want to go hunting and then make it a privilidge for them to go hunting. I kinda treat them as my own kids. I never work with more than two pups at a time. Hope I helped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:18 pm 
IP:
preacherbc wrote:
The caged coons may have taught him to look instead of smell. How many caged coons has he seen? Drags could do that too if he can see something up a tree. As far as him running a track every time you go, he may be running everything he smells. Remember, a dog will never tree a deer although they will run them. I would catch a coon and turn it loose at night without him ever knowing you did it. Let the coon have a head start and then take the dog there and let him go find it. I wouldn't turn him out right on it but make sure he has a good chance to run across it. That way you can evaluate what he is doing with a coon. If he runs it and doesn't come up with a tree then you know you have a problem. If he is just running around in the woods at night barking you really don't have a way of knowing what he is doing. Get him on a hot coon and reevaluate. Also, I wouldn't shoot up a tree unless the coon is going to fall out. A young dog doesn't know to be excited about that shot until he knows it produces a coon. Just some thoughts. Good luck.
im going to have to call you on this one. i have a young blue tick that has treed a tree a deer brushed up against as they run by. hes young every thing has taught thim so far to tree and when the deer brushed the tree he must have assumed it went to tree.

And if im lieing im dieing (jerry clower)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I guess that's why you never say never...

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ivegotthecooninitch wrote:
preacherbc wrote:
im going to have to call you on this one. i have a young blue tick that has treed a tree a deer brushed up against as they run by. hes young every thing has taught thim so far to tree and when the deer brushed the tree he must have assumed it went to tree.

And if im lieing im dieing (jerry clower)

That makes sense to me after I thought about it and though it does sound odd at first, it certainly is feasible.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."

"When the going gets tough, the great ones party."

"Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows the fool."

Post subject: Re: Dog won't bark tree
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:22 pm 
IP:
i have a 9 month old bluetick, great bloodline. He has been on many of caged coons. when i tie up a caged coon in a tree, he will just sit there and look at it, but when it is on the ground he goes crazy and will not stop barking. the brother of my dog is treeing coons already, and have been trained together, and hunted together, my dog will run with him but doesnt make a sound on trail or tree. please give me some advice.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

rule of thumb no more than three caged coons over a 2 month period or you are just teaching the dog to sight hunt that's it just three caged no reason for any more ever he either got it or he didn't.Better just go back to the scent trail or keep hunting him till he figures it out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a year and half old walker.she tracks and everything and she is somewhat a far distance hunter.she will track coon to the tree but ounce she gets on the tree she will let out one yelp and then come back. Ive never used a caged coon on her. Should I use one or no. Any advice will be helpful.thanks