CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:25 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i have a 14 month old blue tick and she backtracks on a coon track almost everytime also once she does tree she will come off of the tree like she cant handle the pressure ne1 got some advice on how to brake theese habbits???

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:50 am 
IP:
time--- thats is wat it takes, she will figure it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:04 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

so ive heard delta.. but is she old enough to huntin with others of age or is she to young bc she doesnt pull off tree when shes alone

Post subject: DOGS
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:23 am 
IP:
yep she is old enough to hunt with other dogs just make sure you dont run her with dogs that are trashy (POSSUMS, RABBIT , DEER ECT.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:38 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

My buddy bought a bluetick a little over a week ago , she was same way . We hunted her hard for a week and she has already begun to stop backtracking , she will still leave tree when she gets on it for a few minutes after you get there , but holler at her and she goes straight back . Now we are working on her to stop tracking the same track after we shoot the coon out .

Time and alot of time in the woods and that dog will come around , hunt her by herself , she will learn . Wait on running her with other dogs till after she learns to track correctly . Running her with other dogs before she gets the hang of it will not help as much , she will only follow them and not learn for herself . Just find you a log and sit there and wait for her to figure it out

Sam's Creek Kennels
Home of
"PR" OLD TENNESSEE'S LITTLE LADY

"PR" Hayes' Little Treein Buddy

Jasmine "the over hyper Shih Tzu"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been looking over posts about backtracking and haven't found what I was looking for.

We think my uncles 2 walkers are backtracking. They did 3 chases the other night and there were no coon in any of the trees, one tree had no leaves at all on it. The dogs will stay treed until we pull them off. One chase started in a cornfield and ended a 1/2 mi away when we got in front of the dogs with the truck and they treed after I called for them and shined a flashlight at them. they treed 30 coon last year. But did have the same problem last year too. They've been hunted 4 times since the first of the month and not a single coon was in any of the trees.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sometimes coon will lay up in a tree after eatting..If they have been treed before they might come down and make a run for it.AS soon as they hear a dog.Then the dogs tree on that tree because its still really hot..Best thing to do then is walk a ways and re-cast the dogs.They should pick the track back up and tree the coon.. Id single the dogs out. Hunt one per dump and keep doing that all night. Then you can see what dog is doing what...30 coon is about right for the average coonhunter. If you average 1 coon per night you have pretty decent dogs..I know guys that HUNT REALLY hard and they only tree about 100 coon.. They probly don't have much better dogs than the average guy...We don't kill a lot of coon. We do take them in kill season if they are long tough tracks and the dogs look good treeing them...We leave a lot for seed....LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
Sometimes coon will lay up in a tree after eatting..If they have been treed before they might come down and make a run for it.AS soon as they hear a dog.Then the dogs tree on that tree because its still really hot..Best thing to do then is walk a ways and re-cast the dogs.They should pick the track back up and tree the coon.. Id single the dogs out. Hunt one per dump and keep doing that all night. Then you can see what dog is doing what...30 coon is about right for the average coonhunter. If you average 1 coon per night you have pretty decent dogs..I know guys that HUNT REALLY hard and they only tree about 100 coon.. They probly don't have much better dogs than the average guy...We don't kill a lot of coon. We do take them in kill season if they are long tough tracks and the dogs look good treeing them...We leave a lot for seed....LOL

Ok on singling them out. But to only walk a little ways from where they just treed won't work because they will go right back to the same tree. We tried that last year by taking the dogs 200 yards away from the tree with no coon and the younger dog went right back. So we had to go to a whole different spot. I do think these dogs are cold nose and might not be smart enough or hunted enough to figure out they need to go the other way. Last year we shot every coon out of the tree that the digs treed. But they still treed on trees that didn't have a coon. Maybe we need to live trap a coon and start over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Dogs will get more accurate with more hunting, the more you hunt them down the better they should get. Pay attention to the bawls, you should be able to hear the track progress. This can be a good clue if there pulling up short. If there not showing you a lot of den trees on a regular basis there probably not back tracking but pulling up short. Sometimes those coon can be tough to find as well.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What do you mean pulling up short? These dogs never leave tree once they tree. They could be there for a half hour while we try to figure out how to get to them. One tree they treed a couple weeks ago, my uncle said it was in the middle of a field and he had his granddaughters friends with him and a couple of them climbed the tree and there wasn't a coon in it. They did that because there was so many leaves on the tree to see a coon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Pulling up short means that the coon may have bumped the tree or even climbed up a little to get a look, then continued on. This is more then likely what is happening. Another thing is they could be running off game then treeing when the offgame brushes by a tree. Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:10 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would advocate hunting them individualy as much as you hunt them together, more then likely one of the two, is influencing the other to pull up short. The extra excitement of hunting with another dog also could be causing this.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

in my opinion back tracking and treeing up trees with no coons in the tree is bred into a dog,i would say somewere in that dogs background there was another dog did the same thing.ive never been able to break a dog from it,but iam more of a hunter then a trainer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:03 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
in my opinion back tracking and treeing up trees with no coons in the tree is bred into a dog,i would say somewere in that dogs background there was another dog did the same thing.ive never been able to break a dog from it,but iam more of a hunter then a trainer.

Me too.
The ones I thought backytracked never made a tree. LOL the track just fizzled out before they ever treed.
Only two ways you could ever be certain of the backtracking fool is 1) you happened to see a coon coming to a cornpile in a field while deer hunting and go get a dog OR 2) have a GPS collar on the coons. LOL even if you did know for sure which way the coon was going , how would you go about correct it? Shock it? Grab it by the collar and turn it around? Seriously. Ain't no way to cure that kind of a fault.
I have been amaized all my life on how a dog hits a track and goes the right way 90% of the time. That 10% of the time they get it figured /straightened out in a hundred feet or so.
As far as training by itself, if you train a pup with junk you will get junk. If you hunt a pup with a dang good dog you life will be made so much easier. JMO.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:19 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i had a blacktantan my buddies named hebrew for what ever reason,he was big as a small pony and ate like a hog.when i first got him i put him up a week and let the kids play with him so he cold get use to everybody,i finally took him hunting with my curs one night.i turned him loose and he was hunting good,after a while him and my curs struck,the curs were running up the hill and ole hebrew was trying to run down hill,i could tell he wasnt much of a track dog,well my curs went to treeing and hebrew went into cold trailing getting futher away all the while.i got to the tree were the curs were treed and found the coon,finally after i dont remember how long mr.hebrew made it to the coon tree and went to barking.i knew he was a back tracker and always would be one so i gave him to my buddy and told him bout his tracking disablitys,he said ats allright ill trade him for a c b radio.lol