CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:03 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

when he goes with other dogs will he run a track or tree with them?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 15 month old dog that I have been working and doing the same thing. I put him up for a week and took him with an older dog. We treed and scot the coon out and let the pup have him. I put him up for another week and took him by himself.

Since then he has treed by himself 7 times in 3 nights. Really surprides me. I mean he knew what to look for just didnt know how to go about it. But then again I have heard old timers talk about a pup flipping the switch and turning on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Every dog is different. Don't try to do to much all at once. Try to tackle one problem at a time, and over many nights you will see results.

As far as making a dog hunt, there are many different avenues one can take or try. What may work for one dog may not work for the next.

Slow down and breath, training a hound doesn't happen overnight or even months. Try one Thing at a time, that way you know what works.

Only hunt when you feel like, and be patient.

If he doesn't hunt, I would first try, walking him across some tracks. Overtime walk slower and pause more often. Make the dog work more and more.

Once he has that down, You can try just taking a seat. And allowing the dog to learn he can wonder off and hunt.

If he isn't hunting like you know he should and appears to be goofing off, throw him in the box and take him home. They quickly learn, that its hunt or go home.

Most of all be patient and just have fun. Dogs are dogs, not machines.
Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

As for hunting same area...

Not giving advice, just passing on what happened to me.I'm training an 11 month old B T. Like all she started good on caged coon. Sight ran, then treed a released coon. Did not expect much 1st night in woods,and wasn't disappointed either. She was close , but nose to ground, and checked some trees. I hunt basically in my backyard. Fortunate enough to have creek and plenty hardwoods full of coons. Lumber company owns thousands of acreage around me and I have a hard to obtain permit. So I walk same way to get to creek and woods. Annie grew bolder and bolder and I thought we were really on our way. Then BAM. She stopped. Walk right by me, fiddle-fart around, nothing like she was. Then it hit me. Was same-old, same-old. My scent, her's. After a week she knew every tree, where we crossed the creek, ect...So I threw her in the dog box and drive to back edge of the same woods and turned her out. She hit the ground running and didn't check in for almost an hour. Treed that night.
I'm no expert, alot of guys on here know more than me..but for Annie a change of area was all she needed to break the routine. She's still a puppy in alot of ways, and no where near a coon hound. She is well on her way and with time she'll make it.
Inexperienced beginners need to start with a finished hound, then try training a puppy. Is like blind leading the blind other-wise.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Larry D wrote:
As for hunting same area...

Not giving advice, just passing on what happened to me.I'm training an 11 month old B T. Like all she started good on caged coon. Sight ran, then treed a released coon. Did not expect much 1st night in woods,and wasn't disappointed either. She was close , but nose to ground, and checked some trees. I hunt basically in my backyard. Fortunate enough to have creek and plenty hardwoods full of coons. Lumber company owns thousands of acreage around me and I have a hard to obtain permit. So I walk same way to get to creek and woods. Annie grew bolder and bolder and I thought we were really on our way. Then BAM. She stopped. Walk right by me, fiddle-fart around, nothing like she was. Then it hit me. Was same-old, same-old. My scent, her's. After a week she knew every tree, where we crossed the creek, ect...So I threw her in the dog box and drive to back edge of the same woods and turned her out. She hit the ground running and didn't check in for almost an hour. Treed that night.
I'm no expert, alot of guys on here know more than me..but for Annie a change of area was all she needed to break the routine. She's still a puppy in alot of ways, and no where near a coon hound. She is well on her way and with time she'll make it.
Inexperienced beginners need to start with a finished hound, then try training a puppy. Is like blind leading the blind other-wise.
Good luck.

Its funny that you mention that, cause that is exactly what happened to mine. New teritory and he was off like gangbusters. You may be on to something here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That is an interesting point indeed. Something I will keep in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I don't see how you all did not get what toe cutter was saying . good advise tc I followed ya on that one just fine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:26 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Mine is a little better, he gets out further maybe 20 yards more a month, its been a real slow process.