CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My pup has me stumped
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok so i have searched and not really found the answer im looking for. i have a bluetick male about a year and a half old and have a couple issues. first of all everytime you go by him on the chain he wraps his front legs around your leg and just holds on thats it....and more importantly when u hunt him he will go out and track it seems like but has a hard time treeing. he will go around the section by himself even with another dog or dogs there so hes pretty independent but he will bark every so often and sometimes almost enough to make you think hes treed but he keeps moving on the gps all over. sometimes the same trail or real close multiple times. and if there is other dogs there treeing on a coon he will keep smelling around close by and maybe bark a little. the only time hes treed all on his own was when i let him loose in the neibors shed once because there was a coon in there and we had all the doors closed and he treed it up on some shelving. i just dont know what to do with him. hes almost impossible to tire out also

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It's hard to judge a dog without seeing him and obtaining some personal observance. but; just from reading your post, I am inclined to think that there is a good possibility that the dog is not any good.

I've been around dogs longer than most people; and know that some just never make it; That is just one of the facts of nature.

The Okefenokee Swamp Promoter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:23 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah it sounds to me like he's just out running and tracking himself because he really has no clue what to do. He's probably barking just for the heck of it, seen it happen before. Just to be sure, i'd give him a track, turn a caged coon loose for him but don't let him see it. If he cant find that and wont run it then you most likely just have a cull.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i actually forgot to include that in my description....ive turned a couple coon loose for him after hes smelled up the cage and got all revved up. i wait for him to calm down and he does not see where the coon went but he will follow a trail from the truck to the tree i know has the coon. back and forth back and forth back and forth and bark a little each time but wont stay and tree it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I couldn't handle the dog wrapping its legs around me... how old is the dog? When other dogs are treed and he's there do the other dogs have a coon for sure? Maybe the trees they've made have been slick and he's working the track a little but hard to leave. I'd single the dog out and give him a chance to do it alone. Walk him through the woods if you have too. Idk where you're at but here in Indiana you can hit a track around almost any corn field right now. He will either do it or he won't. Good luck!

Sent from my VS930 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:07 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

the dog to me sounds like he is not sure of hisself on the tree or ive seen some dogs that rather run a track then tree and they never made tree dogs.if you dont want to get rid of him then i would hunt him all you can,and when he strikes a track stay with him pretty close so when he trees you can get there to him quick.when you get to the tree let him know thats what you want,if hes bred to tree he will start treeing and staying, main thing is to hunt him a lot even when you dont feel like going thats the only way to make a coon dog.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the replies guys i appreciate them. this is my first pup so before i give up im gonna just try taking him out by himself a bunch and if i do go with other dogs and they have a coon treed i will try tying him to the tree until hes treeing and shoot it out to the other dogs just to see if i can get him mad enough to do it on his own. its kinda hard to hunt nearly as much as id like to as i am welding over the road...11 days on 3 days off. but i will keep trying and see i guess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

would doing some drags with roadkill coon help him maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:41 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

[quote="skeets"] when he strikes a track stay with him pretty close so when he trees you can get there to him quick.when you get to the tree let him know thats what you want.[quote]

this right here is the advice that will help your dog blackntanman.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:38 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

toe cutter wrote:
skeets wrote:
when he strikes a track stay with him pretty close so when he trees you can get there to him quick.when you get to the tree let him know thats what you want.
Quote:

this right is the advice that will help your dog blackntanman.

Yes sir. I had to do it the hard way and I did. But I would not go back to training without a good broke dog. Stay with him and out of his way. Get you a set of Kedds tennis shoes, forget the latest Muck boots and get either your Big Fat BUTTOCKS or/and your young little light fanny off of the tailgate and goe . Forget about remote controlling and push button dogs from the tailgate . Don't believe me? I had an opportunity to go on a pleasure hunt last year with Mr . Bellar and he was step for step behind a young dog and old man such as me and i'm betting Toe Cuttere do the same. how will you ever know , on a good, honest , hard running coon which dog locates it first unless you are right there in the darkness with your nightvision eyeballs open??????

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Treeing can be encouraged and brought out of a dog. It will be easier to spot The coon in the tree once the leaves are off. Follow him when he shows interest around a tree, try to quickly see if the coon is there. If it is tie him up, holler get him excited, pet him up. If that doesn't work. Just walk away, and leave him there. Hang out for a couple minutes, he should start to bark, when he does, go back to him, holler get him excited again. Once he does tree, shoot it out. Let him mouth it some tie him up. Tease him with it, drag away get it up in a tree, where he can't see but smell it. Repeat. One or two nights of this he should start treeing. If he don't, I would hunt him lightly for a month, then repeat. Eventually it should come. The main thing will be keeping him in thick coon, and hunting by himself. A lot of young dogs, won't tree with older dogs, especially independent ones.
Training a hound will be one the hardest things you probably will have ever tried to do. It takes a lot of nights,hrs and time, so be patient. As long as your seeing progression, I would stick with him.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks guys i appreciate all the replies! theres a lot of knowledge and wisdom here 8) keeps me coming back. i'm most definitely gonna stick with him for this season and i think he will turn i've got faith in him. hopefully by next season ill be back home farming then ill have more time for these things but i kinda got stuck with this job and i need it for the time being. i've been through a few not so hot older dogs that were "ready to go" and were not. thats why i wanna do the best i can with this pup and give him a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

on the job 11 days and off for 3 it will be hard to put the woods time and one on one work in that this dog needs if you can only hunt him a couple nights every 2 weeks.
not saying it cant be done, but he needs to go every night. dogs like you are describing have to be worn down before they really start thinking. same reason they have recess at school in the younger grades.
I would roll the coon out and NOT let the young dog have any. I would then throw the coon back up into the same tree or one close and see if he will tree on it. if he does , stand on the leash and don't let him jump up and grab it. after you get him to tree or even if you don't get him to tree. leave the coon hang there and pull him off and drag him away. if you can any way possible go to another woods and do it all over again, do it.. do NOT let him touch the coons. don't let him have any. leave it hang in the tree and pull him off so the coon in the tree is what he remembers. I would not do this more than a few times. a good indication that it is doing what you want is that he will start checking trees as you lead him out. any young dog that will try and track should be hunted alone, another dog will not "teach it" anything. the only reason I would put a young dog that is trying with another dog is if it was the only way I could expose it to coon to make it want them more. giving a young dog the coon as a reward will not make them want coon more. rolling it out and not letting them have them will. even if they tree alone I will not let them touch the coon. the more you can make them want a coon the more you will see out of them. you or another dog do not teach how to track or tree, it only exposes the young dog to coon till it wants them bad enough to do it alone. they are born with the instincts and tools to track and tree for anything they want bad enough.

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah got keep the dog in the woods, doesn't have to be long, only an hr or so, but ya need to get them out as much as possible. To keep your time productive, make sure there are coon where your hunting.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It takes a lot of time in the woods to make most dogs. Unless your lucky and get a natural treedog...Even hunting the way you do is better than not hunting at all..LOL...Your dog just has a lot of pinned up energy or puppy still in it...He might just need more time to mature...I keep a lited dog collar on all my dogs. So I can see what they are doing when Im close up. Like if they are checking trees... After you get a dog running and treeing its best to hunt them alone as much as possible...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW