CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

What did the vet find?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Vet said upper respiratory infection. Idk what too think. I'll give him the meds for 2 weeks and see if that helps. She didn't run a lymes test yet because his temp was normal.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Your vet sounds like mine, just went through this, he had a lame leg, she took his temp, said nope doesn't have lymes, said he has hip dysplasia. Anyone that knows hounds knows that this isn't very common in the breed. I took him back a couple weeks later asked that we take his blood test just so we can be sure. He tested positive for lymes even though he had no fever. After only 3 days treatment I noticed a big difference in his energy levels, his coat, and of course his limp has been gone ever since.
My lesson that I learned from this is that because there hunting dogs, tick born deseases should be the first place to look. I believe this puts them at a much higher risk. Then let's say a family pet. The thing that annoys me, is the vet still thinks he has bad hips. Won't even admit that it was lymes causing the issue and that she was most likely wrong.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:54 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I don't understand how an upper respiratory infection would cause the dog to eat grass and just flat out do nothing, my brother had an English once that kept getting respiratory infections due to cancer but it would only really affect him once the weather got cold. The only thing it did to him was make him not able to hunt very long because he couldn't breathe. I'm no expert but I think there's something more serious going on with your dog your vet is just either too lazy to do the tests or too incompetent. Hope ya find out for sure what's really goin on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Update::::::vet gave me meds for upper respiratory infection seemed too help a little then he started eliminating blood with soft stool also vomiting bile. She gave me meds for a stomach/digestive virus. 2 weeks now and he's back too normal running awesome again. Thank God. Stool still is kinda soft but that should clear up. Thanks for all the help ya'll. kill season starts next months so I hope things stay on the up.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:02 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Glad to hear he's doin better and they got it figured out, good luck with the upcoming season!