CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pup acting lost now.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 18 month old walker that seems to have lost interest in coons. I did not show her a coon until she was 10 months old and she went crazy over it. I took it really slow with her at first. Just showed her 3 coons and released one for her and she tryed to track it but she lost it in a blow down. She will not go hunting with other dogs. Just kind of hangs around and doesnt act interested in the other dogs. She has treed six coons by herself but doesn't open on track. I have only shot one coon out to her. Now for the past few nights I have turned her lose on some feeders and there have been coons all over them and she acts like she doesnt know what to do. There have been coons in trees no more than 30 yards from the feeders and she will go to the tree and maybe wine a little or bark a few times and then leaves the tree and cant figure out what to do next. I have even took her back to the trees and she acts like she doesnt smell anything. She was really starting to look good a few weeks ago. She treed really hard on the first six and never pulled off. Someone please help me figure out what is going on with this pup. Thanks!

Sent from my XT556 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Pup acting lost now.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It probably has something to do with the weather conditions. Pups will be very up and down early on. Hunt her hard by herself, and try not to get caught up in her night to night performance. But look at the overall picture. If she starts look bad night after night, lay her up for a week. Too much hard hunting can start to burn a pup up. A lot of pups will go through a phase where they don't open on track. I wouldn't worry about that.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Start using "huntem up!", over time she will begin to understand that you want her to hunt out. Be patient, and just enjoy being outdoors.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I see all these post saying ....hunt em'...hunt em'...hunt em'....30 days in a row and such. Never responded, but here's my opportunity. You hunt a young hound HARD they will, (now not all) but generally they will quit on you. Seen it time and again. I generally hunt my young hounds on a every other night and watch for burn-out. It will happen. I lay that hound up a week and when I turn out it's like a different hound.

I'm no expert, just talking from experience. Got 13 month old right now that was doing great, then regressed back to hanging around, not hunting, and she's put the meat in the tree before. Been up a week now and when I go to kennel to feed she's rearing to get out. You can burn a hound out, especially a young hound that is still learning.

If they have done it before, they'll do it again if there's no health issue.

Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A lot of young hounds that were hunted to hard to young will never see there full potential. they may be a coon dog but maybe not as good as they could have been.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all the advice. I've laid her up for a week and I'm going to give her a try tonight. I'll let you know how she does.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

18 months isn't very young, I personally would hunt her till she can't walk. I would hunt her by herslef though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well turned her lose tonight on a feeder and she didn't pick up on anything and then ran to the road and found a deer carcass to chew on. I caught her up and corrected her. Took her to another place and she got after something on the edge of the field and ran it in to a hole in a dirt pile. Probably a groundhog. Turned loose at another place and she seemed to be hunting harder but never picked up anything and checked back in after about 10 minutes. Took her home pretty disappointed. Almost out of patients with her. Sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would be encouraged if she is running off game, that shows she has some hunt. Now you just need to get her to where she only hunts coon. If she was hunting better towards the end of the night, I would take her out again tonight. Her hunt switch should come on faster. Try different things to see what flips the her switch. Once she is treeing coon you can start correcting her on what to run and what not to.
Very few dogs run and in there first ten nights in the woods. Often times the slower starting dogs can finish out nicer. How a dog starts doesn't indicate at all how well a dog will finish out.

Last edited by Maximus13 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Put a trail cam up on your feeders to see what time there feeding. Then show up with your pup at the proper time. It's possible your getting in to early or to late.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks a lot for all the advice maximus13. It definitely keeps me motivated. Heading out tonight to give her a try.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:23 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Pup training is a very long and drawn out process. At least give the dog a good 6 months, then look back, chances are you will see a lot of improvement. But from day to day even week to week it can be pretty discouraging, with a lot of highs and lows. Got to keep the big picture in mind and just keep the dog in the woods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Turned her out last night no feeder just a big creek bottom. Went about 100 yds and treed. Had the meat. Petted her up real good and pulled off and took her home. Only thing is she didn't tree much when I got to her but I guess that will get better with a little more hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Once you get to her there's no need for her to tree...I've had several dogs that shut up when I got to the tree...I believe they're the real smart ones. They know why they're treeing.

Sent from my C5155 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yea. I think you're right. This pup seems to be the smartest one I have messed with.