CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is my dog doing?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 1 1/2 old female Bluetick, she has treed with a redbone before with the previous owner. I have had no luck with her so far an want to know if she is worth keeping or not.

She will not shut up in kennel, but has never opened up in woods. She has a good nose and will track, but she will not go far and always comes back to me and wait, like she gave up. But if I start to walk, she will get right back to tracking (sometimes same track she was on, sometimes different one). When I'm walking in woods with her, she will smell all around, go ahead of me like 20 yards, stops, looks back and stare at me. When she gets on a track, she will cut in woods and search all around in a big circle then come right back. She has not opened up yet but have seen her growl and whine in the woods while she is tracking. Couple of times she has been walking Infront of me and then dart off on something, like she got on a hot track, went away for 10 mins or so, then come back and start whining, like she wants me to follow her. She seems to have hunt to her, I just dont get it. The longest she has been out from me has been about 45 mins.

Do I need to get her with a broke dog or what? I have always had deer dogs, she is my first coon dog and I am still new to coon Hunting.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

1. NO bark collar for the kennel
2. walk her a little ways and stop get you a switch and sting her a little when she comes to you.Make her want to get away from you it will make her want to go out and "hunt". Someone I know will disagree but has worked for me numerous times.Yes it will make her harder to catch but most hard hunting dogs need a e collar to get them in if they arent treed and are in the timber a ways.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had a female like that to a tee. She stopped hanging around after we hit her with the truck. It was not intentional but it worked.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Haha that's crazy !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

your describing 90% of the young dogs out there that have never had to go hunting alone. its simple, its funny , i know men 50 yrs old that are affraid to go hunting at night alone off in the big woods.. but they don't understand why a lil 2 yr old dog wont. just like the young dog, once these men have to go alone enough times they relize they dont need anyone with them.
it aint her fault. its the way she has been trained to hunt so far.
i'm gonna wager she has never been singled out to hunt alone..
she has always been hunted with another dog and now with you walking with her while she hunts you are the other dog to her.
if she does know what a coon is and can actually tree a coon then
in a nut shell when you stop and she hunts out how ever many yards and comes back. dont get up and walk her. sit there, it may take you alot of nights - sitting there. first step is to get her to go hunting with you already having her in the woods. walk into the woods and sit down, its gonna take alot of patients on your part. and i mean alot. there will be times you will want to say enough is enough. alot of people hit that point before the pup finally starts to get bored enough to go look for a coon (if she even knows what a coon is). if you make it through this stage then eventually you will be able to work it back to the point you can turn her from the tailgate.
but it aint gonna happen in a week or 2 weeks or 3 weeks. it takes progressive training to get a young dog to go hunting alone . very few will just break thier neck to go off hunting alone like a 3 or 4 yr old broke finished dog will.
most people dont have the patience to single a dog out. especially one thats been hunted too long with another dog. thats why so many young dogs get sold at the age of yours.
people use released coon or they hunt the pup with another dog to expose the pup to the coon.
once a dog knows what you are wanting them to hunt they should be hunted alone.
all you or another dog does is teach the pup what to hunt.
it is born with the natural instincts to know how to track and tree bark for anything it wants bad enough.
whipping a dog to go will only make is go hide, especially a female dog.
first i would have to know if the dog can even tree a released coon to even know where to begin to tell you what or how to proceed.
can she tree a coon?
do you know if your working trying to get a young dog to go looking for a coon that even knows what a coon is or can tree a coon,,
or are you trying to get a young dog to go looking that don't even know what a coon is.
did YOU see her tree with the redbone or did the guy TELL YOU she had treed with the redbone?.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well said !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I did not see her tree the coon, but I got her from a good buddy of mine during deer season. Someone just dropped her off in his box, he was going to keep her if she ran deer, but she went off with a red bone during a morning hunt and treed one. I have another buddy who was there also. I don't know any of her history, that's why I am hesitant on using a caged coon with her since she has treed one before. I have thought about getting one and releasing it so I know what direction it went, and then walk her in by it, but don't let her see the coon at all so she would have to use her nose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
your describing 90% of the young dogs out there that have never had to go hunting alone. its simple, its funny , i know men 50 yrs old that are affraid to go hunting at night alone off in the big woods.. but they don't understand why a lil 2 yr old dog wont. just like the young dog, once these men have to go alone enough times they relize they dont need anyone with them.
it aint her fault. its the way she has been trained to hunt so far.
i'm gonna wager she has never been singled out to hunt alone..
she has always been hunted with another dog and now with you walking with her while she hunts you are the other dog to her.
if she does know what a coon is and can actually tree a coon then
in a nut shell when you stop and she hunts out how ever many yards and comes back. dont get up and walk her. sit there, it may take you alot of nights - sitting there. first step is to get her to go hunting with you already having her in the woods. walk into the woods and sit down, its gonna take alot of patients on your part. and i mean alot. there will be times you will want to say enough is enough. alot of people hit that point before the pup finally starts to get bored enough to go look for a coon (if she even knows what a coon is). if you make it through this stage then eventually you will be able to work it back to the point you can turn her from the tailgate.
but it aint gonna happen in a week or 2 weeks or 3 weeks. it takes progressive training to get a young dog to go hunting alone . very few will just break thier neck to go off hunting alone like a 3 or 4 yr old broke finished dog will.
most people dont have the patience to single a dog out. especially one thats been hunted too long with another dog. thats why so many young dogs get sold at the age of yours.
people use released coon or they hunt the pup with another dog to expose the pup to the coon.
once a dog knows what you are wanting them to hunt they should be hunted alone.
all you or another dog does is teach the pup what to hunt.
it is born with the natural instincts to know how to track and tree bark for anything it wants bad enough.
whipping a dog to go will only make is go hide, especially a female dog.
first i would have to know if the dog can even tree a released coon to even know where to begin to tell you what or how to proceed.
can she tree a coon?
do you know if your working trying to get a young dog to go looking for a coon that even knows what a coon is or can tree a coon,,
or are you trying to get a young dog to go looking that don't even know what a coon is.
did YOU see her tree with the redbone or did the guy TELL YOU she had treed with the redbone?.

great advise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I absolutely agree with all of that. An old man told me one time "to make a good dog wear out your hunting boots, then buy a new pair and wear them out too." takes time and patience.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ya my pup did the same thing im new to coon hunting with dogs my pup she would go out and do the same so i talk to my buddie witch is an old coonie he said take her and let her go and if she stays with you walk sh will find a track and thats how i got my pup to tree. or you could get a caged coon and let your dog go at the cage for a few then let the coon go give her a hot track give it ten mins. and then let your dog go and see wat she does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got a 2 yr old Walker female here doing just the opposite. She does a great job by herself, no complaints there. When you take her with other dogs, she will not go hunting. She might go in 50 or 75 yards or so, then come right back and stay at my feet. I've got two pups here about 10 months old that are off to a good start, she will go hunt when I take one of them, but any strange dog, she won't go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i have seen young dogs look good going with a dog they know, but put them with a strange dog and they act like they had never been..
just not socialized with other dogs.. just got to keep taken them. if she comes back i would put her back in the truck and make her sit and listen. next drop if she dont go ,then back in the box.
one thing to keep in mind is a dog can tell if another is aggressive alot sooner then you will ever see it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That's pretty much what I've been doing. Hard part is, I really don't have too many people to hunt with. Didn't find out her little problem until I put her in a Nite Hunt late last spring, she wouldn't go, so I scratched her and went on to guide the cast. This year, same thing again. It's hard to believe really, when I cut her loose by herself, or with one of these pups, I won't see her again until she is treed somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would walk hunt her until you know she is running and treeing. At the same time I would be keeping my light off as much as possible. Then take her to thick coon, and sit down and wait. Bring a book.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My bluetick pup is 8 months old and she does the exact same thing

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire