CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Last night was the craziest night i ever had coon huntin. We took my 6 year old walker dog maggie and our puppy. We walked down the creek and cut the dogs. a few min later we heard this weird noise i thought it was out puppy wineing. I shined the light and about 10 feet from us was a coon walking towards us in the creek and our dog didntt even know it was there at first. I guess we could have shot it but we were in shock this had never happend to us before adn ive never heard of it. So we ran and got them and cut them where the coon went up the creek they struck and ran it for about 15 min and just quit. Maggie has treed hundreds of coons in her life time but couldnt tree that coon after it was right there and that was unusual to us. We didnt get to take her alot last season because my pawpaw died adn hunting wasnt really on my mind to much. but i couldnt believe she couldnt tree that coon after it was right there. Can a dog forget how to tree a coon after a while i dont think she can as many as she has treed buit a little concerned aabout that.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:55 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Coon could have went in the ground or crossed creek and maybe messed her up. But no if she has treed as many as u say i dont think she could have forgot every dog has off nights at least mine does lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well it deffenitely wasnt right thats for sure but i hope to get a coon on her soon and see if she can get back in the swing of things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It could be that it was a hot track most dogs cant run a really hot track

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Mine done the same thing tonight. I seen a coon cross the road and they winded it, I let them out and it was at least 30min of bawlin and finally I just caught them and moved on, I was pretty frustrated but it worked out couple miles down the road I dropped and they treed right away

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Try this... next time you see one crossing the road that you wish to run. Wait about fifteen or twenty minutes before you drop a hound on it and I promise you will tree a lot more road crossing coon. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

=================BOTTOM LINE=================

=============Get a complete Coon hound============

==========That will solve all hunting problems==========

The Ole PlottMan

I'LL HUNT PLOTTS 'TILL I'M A HUNDRED;OR DIE TRYING
========= I'VE GOT 17 YEARS TO GO=========

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

plottten wrote:
=================BOTTOM LINE=================

=============Get a complete Coon hound============

==========That will solve all hunting problems==========

The Ole PlottMan

I'LL HUNT PLOTTS 'TILL I'M A HUNDRED;OR DIE TRYING
========= I'VE GOT 17 YEARS TO GO=========

Haha. I think your right,I hunt Plotts also. I hear guys says hot tracks mess up there dogs,mine runs 'em hot or cold. The cold ones just go a lot farther.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

question. I have a 13 month old walker. he just now started coming on. he'll tree with other dogs , will fight a coon alittle. but some times he wont run out to far, and he runs into things all the time at night. he even ran into the truck the other night. Is this part of him being a pup . if so how do I get him to run out and hunt good all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 7 month old english, an I was having the same problem! This is what I have been doing. I have been taking him out to the woods by himself every night and I mean every night for the past month and turning him loose, and each night he has gone out further and further, and staying out longer! By letting him get use to the dark by himself. He is naturally getting use to the dark , without having another dog being there to make him feel secure and safe. He is getting over the fear of the dark. I don't know of a quicker or better way, but has been working so far! Tonight he went out about 250 yrds and stayed out for about 45 mins. He didn't run anything, but we are working on that! He came back when a pack of Yotes' started up, he did bring me a half eaten coon! Lol We are over run with Yotes' and they seem to be killing off everything! Has anyone ever heard of Yotes attacking hounds? I apologize for changing the subject!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

heres one for ya. in early june we went out a little earlier and all of the dogs were hunting close for whatever reason. one of mine hit a tree ONCE. he opened a short chop and left. we stood around for a bit and was shining the tree and there was a coon WAY up. we tried to encourage all the dogs to tree but they looked at us like we had lost our minds. ill throw it in that one of the dogs is a NTCH. only reason we could come up with was the coon hadnt come down from the tree yet. and that short chop was my dog getting a whiff of him somewhere around. we could have shot it out but it wasnt season and we couldnt even get the dogs to stay on the tree or show any interest towards that one tree.

(706) 867-5590
http://www.nighttrainkennels.wix.com/nighttrainkennels
http://www.facebook.com/AsuitsNightTrainHoundKennels