CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What to do
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got a real problem, I've got a 20 mth old walker bred to the gills for competition, but he's fast becoming a real coondawg he goes real deep he's treed 6 coons in the past 2 nights doesn't run trash at all but I'm worried if I get rid of him I won't find another good dog, I'd be the one to shot a 3000 dollar dog for running trash any ideas 80 percent of the dogs I've looked at lately are trashy is that common?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: What to do
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Outdrz1 wrote:
I've got a real problem, I've got a 20 mth old walker bred to the gills for competition, but he's fast becoming a real coondawg he goes real deep he's treed 6 coons in the past 2 nights doesn't run trash at all but I'm worried if I get rid of him I won't find another good dog, I'd be the one to shot a 3000 dollar dog for running trash any ideas 80 percent of the dogs I've looked at lately are trashy is that common?

I don't understand your big problem? ???? If he is doing as well as you say... why would you get.rid of him. If you got a straight coondog that can get it done keep him!!! Problem Solved

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Haha ok I should put it another way I have recently lost the cartilage in my left knee so walking I'm rubbing bone to bone for me a kidney stone passing would be better, 3 1/2 mths ago when I got him as just a started pup he didn't go but maybe 400 to 500 yards now that his had just over 25 give or take one shot out on him he's gettin gone close to a mile if need be. Your right when I was younger he couldn't have been bought for no amount of money but since my knee it's just something that's hard to finally admit I can't keep up. And I'm sure there's someone out that has a dog that's as good but just isn't a competition dog that they might wanna swap. Now saying that I may not be a life long coon hunter, but don't show me a 300 dollar dog that's trashy and tell me "well last year she treed a bunch" please know your dog don't lie to me neither of us have time for it. If there's away to get mine to hunt closer then by all means tell me so I and my family can enjoy him more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Outdrz1 wrote:
Haha ok I should put it another way I have recently lost the cartilage in my left knee so walking I'm rubbing bone to bone for me a kidney stone passing would be better, 3 1/2 mths ago when I got him as just a started pup he didn't go but maybe 400 to 500 yards now that his had just over 25 give or take one shot out on him he's gettin gone close to a mile if need be. Your right when I was younger he couldn't have been bought for no amount of money but since my knee it's just something that's hard to finally admit I can't keep up. And I'm sure there's someone out that has a dog that's as good but just isn't a competition dog that they might wanna swap. Now saying that I may not be a life long coon hunter, but don't show me a 300 dollar dog that's trashy and tell me "well last year she treed a bunch" please know your dog don't lie to me neither of us have time for it. If there's away to get mine to hunt closer then by all means tell me so I and my family can enjoy him more.

Sorry about your health issues I know its frustrating. I see my dad going through it. He really hates the way it limits his hunting. But we still.hunt together and make the best of it. If they get to deep I go to them myself. And I don't think you can change a deep hunting dog into a close hunting one. My dogs hunt to find a coon. So in thin coon it seems like there deep hunters... but when coons are plentiful they seem like close hunters .. I wish you luck with your dog. Happy Hunting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maybe start hunting near feeders or somewhere with alot of roads if you cant change the dog you may have to change how you hunt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah it's looking that, thanks for the advice