CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Squirrely
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Might sound dumb but I'd do a drag in the middle of the woods and turn him towards it. If he can't tree a drag at night it will be time to move on

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Squirrely
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:47 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Well I'm going to try again tomorrow , took him out alone tonight and treed 3 , I'll see what happens tomorrow

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Wvtreed wrote:
Well I'm going to try again tomorrow , took him out alone tonight and treed 3 , I'll see what happens tomorrow

i think he gets nervous when can't find a good track. like when i first started goin' out with girls. if couldn't think of something good to say, i'd say something stupid. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Wvtreed wrote:
Well I'm going to try again tomorrow , took him out alone tonight and treed 3 ,

if you treed 3 coon you could see then he is doing fine no matter what he does tomorrow night. very few young dogs are consistantly all dog every night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey Mr toe cutter what would make a dog stop treeing when you walk in to him? I hunt him by himself he runs track good has a good triple bawl locate and over to a steady chop. But when I get to him at the tree he quits and just stands around. And Saturday night he went in did his locate and fell treed and had the coon. So I know he has a good nose. He is 18 months old

Post subject: Squirrely
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks toe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

longhaul1xx wrote:
Hey Mr toe cutter what would make a dog stop treeing when you walk in to him? I hunt him by himself he runs track good has a good triple bawl locate and over to a steady chop. But when I get to him at the tree he quits and just stands around. And Saturday night he went in did his locate and fell treed and had the coon. So I know he has a good nose. He is 18 months old

i dont know for sure, IF my dogs dont shut up when i get there, they do as soon as i hit the light up the tree. they freeze and stand looking up the tree. i figure they are waiting for the meat to fall. the thing i have relized is its the more accurate dogs that do it the most.
if the dog is shutting up when you get in near the tree or close enough he knows your coming, tie the dog back and shoot the coons out and dont let the dog have it.make him want the coon more (and i did say coons. not coon.. it will take more then a few to change the dog) just drag him away still trying to get the coon. dont hang the coon or nothin, (trying to train them to tree is how alot become slick treeing idiots.) just kick it around on the ground just out of reach of the dog and sqwall and hiss and let the dog go nuts wanting it. then drag him away. and i do this with young dogs while i am hunting them alone. best trick i have found for bringing them along. letting the dog maul the coon is not the reward most think it is and wont make them want them more. this will.

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you and I agree a dog with the coon is a heck of a lot more impressive than a hard treeing slick dog. I've always had dogs that kept treeing when I was looking for the coon. But none as accurate as this pup. So I guess I can live with him getting quite and having the coon. I just thought that maybe he was lacking something on the tree that could be fixed. Thank you Mr toe cutter for your point of view and all the valuable training info you have put on this sight. Thanks and God Bless. Randy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:50 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Finally was able to take him out Tuesday night . Dropped him out and he treed a double . Went to night he holed one , barked a couple barks and went across the hollow , struck a track and treed one . After that we went on up the hollow he struck again , run a short distance and treed , when I got to the tree he slowed his treeing down and started wondering around the tree , as I was spotting the tree he went on around the hill ( yes there was a kitten coon in the tree) a good ways , then came back to the tree and started treeing again!! Wth . Toe whats your opinion on leaving the tree!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:25 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i always leash my dog when i get to the tree. not to teach them to stay,but so i have control over what happens after i get there. if he gets bored while i am searching for the coon he cant just go off. if he does then there is no sense in me finding the coon if he has left. the tree he treed on is the end of the dance unless i decide to send him on..
your dog did nothing that you did not allow him to do after you got there. he got bored and said well you look for it and i think i will go over here and have a smell.
***make yourself or buy a leash with a snap clasp on each end, when you get there put one end on the dogs collar and then loop the other end of the leash around a small tree and clasp it on the leash. a coonhunters leash you buy will have a ring that slides from one end of the leash to the other for that purpose. if you make one you can find a ring for this at tsc - tractor suppy company. or just cut the ring off an old collar.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:10 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Nice cool evening , we are going again !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:08 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Treed one and later hit 2 more trees but Could not see anything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Took this dam thing out last night to a corn field and he treed in the middle of the the corn patch where there was no trees , just corn . The other dogs struck track and treed at the lower end in a tree ........ He later went in to the tree and started treeing . What the hell?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:38 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If the corn wasn't cut yet I'd say it was tapped by the coon. If it was cut dog could have had a brain fart. Dogs learn every time they go out something weather it be good or bad they will learn something Its kinda what makes it more exciting who wins the bandit or the hound I have seen one or two get fooled by a well placed tap from a coon it just happens be glad you get to see coons and keep hunting em

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I think I may have figured out what's going on . I believe he is locking down on tree when the coon has only tapped the tree instead of actually climbing the tree ! Any ideas??? But I have noticed on a real hot track he will usually have the meat