CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: took the dog out
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:33 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if a dog can find a drag scent, trail it to the tree and know it goes up a tree and shows it by looking up you have done all a drag was meant for. too many people cause faults by thinking they teach a dog to tree bark treed. if you just concentrate on getting a pup to want a coon you will see they are born with the tools to track down and tree bark for anything they want bad enough. a caged coon ,released coon or hunting with another dog only exposes them to coon till they want it bad enough to track it down and tree it. 6 week old pups can track and tree bark on a cooked hotdog. nobody trained them to do it,i just got them to wanting the hotdog. get them to want a coon as bad, they do the same thing on them.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi, Toe cutter! I have a problem with my 4 month old pup. I have been working my butt off with drags on him. I've went through 2 bottles of coon trailing scent with him and he pays it no mind! I've even used a coon tail as a drag and again he want work it! I've gotten fustrated and showed him a caged coon. He loves a caged coon and works him into a frenzy! I let each coon out into pasture, an let them get into a tree! Then turn him loose, he shoots off like a rocket for them! But stops where he lost sight of them! An starts hooping around like a freaking rabbit, lol. Looking for them, not even using his nose! Its like his nose is broke, what and is there anything I can do to get him using his nose?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 am 
IP:
He's the person to ask. He's always got good advice. What kind of pup is it? Could be he's more interested in being a pup than working for something right now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:11 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Nightstalker2A wrote:
Hi, Toe cutter! I have a problem with my 4 month old pup. I have been working my butt off with drags on him. I've went through 2 bottles of coon trailing scent with him and he pays it no mind! I've even used a coon tail as a drag and again he want work it! I've gotten fustrated and showed him a caged coon. He loves a caged coon and works him into a frenzy! I let each coon out into pasture, an let them get into a tree! Then turn him loose, he shoots off like a rocket for them! But stops where he lost sight of them! An starts hooping around like a freaking rabbit, lol. Looking for them, not even using his nose! Its like his nose is broke, what and is there anything I can do to get him using his nose?

i dont try to start pups to get after a coon till they are 8 to 10 months old or older. many people do start them younger. i just have an easier time of it when they are older because they are more mature and ready.
you have to walk up in there and help him. walk the way the coon went and encourage him to find it.
one thing that will help alot is if you let him run and play and burn off some energy for awhile before you start your training session.
i would not let him see you release them any more. if he finds the scent with his nose first, now that he knows the scent, he will probly figure out he can smell them and maybe try to track them...he gets excited when he sees them and his first re action is to look for where it went with his eyes when he can no longer see it.. you got to trigger him to use his nose. try letting him find it to begin with with his nose. smell it and not see it.
with him only 4 mths old, i think you are pushing him too soon.
i can do more with a one yr old dog in 3 weeks then i can with a 4-6 mth old pup in 3 mths..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you, for the help Mr. Toe cutter! I'll keep him away for a live coon til his is old! His is a smart pup, I've already have him loading and unloading, an all the other basic commands as well! I've been working him on a bench as well! Should I even mess with him on drags anymore! If so should I use a fresh dead coon, instead of using these trail scents! I mean would that be better! I worry about rabies, from a dead coon. Do you know if they can get rabies from a dead coon? Thanks again for your knowledge Mr. Toe cutter.

The most powerful thing to mankind is Knowledge ; The worst thing for Mankind is not having Knowledge!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

your pup wants the coon, he is trying to find it because he wants it. if he was older he probly could. but at only 4 mths old you are a couple steps ahead of what his lil brain and body are ready for.
as far as rabies, if he has had a rabies/distemper shot he should be fine.
i have never used trailing scents.
if you must, then drag a dead coon around and hide it ,then see if he can find it. but if he can't dont get frustrated, its your patience more then anything that will help your pup right now. remember he is just a baby , with undeveloped abilities.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

From what your teaching me, I'm going to lay off with the drags and live coons! An wait until he is older. I'll focus more on working him on a bench. An just let him grow up and have fun being a pup! Thanks again Mr. Toe cutter and god bless!!