CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:58 pm 
IP:
Is hunting a 16 month-old dog three times a week for 2-4 hours a night considered "hunting him too hard?" I don't really know what hunting a dog too hard means.

He's only started real hunting the past couple months or so and he would run for days if I didn't drag him back to the truck.

I don't want to burn him out, if that's even an issue in this case? If it helps any, he usually acts like a pretty mature dog, not a pup.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

At 16 months the way u are going won't do him any harm at all. At that age he should b all go! The main thing to remember is don't let him get bored. If he starts to slow down any put him up for a few.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:50 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Canadian Hillbilly wrote:
At 16 months the way u are going won't do him any harm at all. At that age he should b all go! The main thing to remember is don't let him get bored. If he starts to slow down any put him up for a few.
AGREE :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In 20+ years of coon hunting I have never seen a young dog "burn out" What I have seen is young dogs get ruined by handlers getting to harsh, like whipping one for not going hunting, or getting too shock happy on dogs that were not coller conditioned properly. Remember that most of the breeds have been out there for well over 100 years and they have been bred for one purpose, This is what he was born to do, you are not going to "burn him out" by hunting him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:50 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thats just about right for his age to get the most out of him..Some guys hunt 6 month old pups that much or more..Thats why a lot of them do burn out...Ive coonhunted over 45+ years and have seen it many times..But every dog if different.Some look there best hunted every night. While others look best as little as 1-2 times a week.You just have to hunt a dog and figure out what works for that dog...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I believe in hunting a dog young. If it acts mature enough at 4 to 6months I'm loading it if I have done proper training and feel the pup knows what were doing going into the woods.
Yes I do believe you can burn pups up hunting to hard. Some just don't have the drive in them.
At your dogs age in you describe as kind of a high strung dog?? You should be just fine with your dogs age.
I also agree with most young dogs are not burned out by hunting but by foul training. Some people just have a natural ability to train good hounds and can make connections with dogs. Most hound will need a pop on the rear here in there just to say straightn up. But if you take your dog hunting everynight in get mad in whip is butt. He's not going to want to go. You got to able to be stern one moment in appraising the next min with out showing emotion like being mad. I firmly believe a dog can since someone feelings. That is best training you as a person can learn is don't get mad and be able to shrug it off they all will mess up sometime, just like people.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:04 am 
IP:
Very well put butler