CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: E collars & humping
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my 8 month old redbone hound has been coming along with his training. i've been working him with a coon pelt & a caged coon & he's worked with some older dogs. the past 2 weeks though his favorite pastime time is humping everything in sight. last time he was out with my friend's dogs he was more interested in humping the other dogs than tracking a scent. any dog that comes into contact with is immediately mounted. will an e collar work on this behavior? he's got good bloodlines so i'd rather not nueter him. besides at this point nuetering may not help.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: E collars & humping
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You bet it will work! I went huntin with a male bluetick a couple weeks ago and he kept messin with my young female.We kicked, switched, and yelled for 2 hrs until I finally took my collar off my female and put it on him.After the 2nd hit females was the last thing on his mind!!!I went huntin with him again a week later and he still wouldnt get within 10 feet of her! LOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i'll give it a whirl then. i've been checking cabelas & bass pro & they have the sportdog collars for around $110.00-$130.00. they seemed to have decent reviews. i looked on e-bay & there are a lot of no name collars for sale there. anyone tried any of those? they are so low priced i'm a bit leery of them. i've had male dogs before but none were ever this relentles or obsessive. do some dogs go thru phases of this behavior & settle down with some age? he's also marking everything in sight. he's tried a few times in the house but i caught before he marked. he did sneak one hit on the toilet. i'll try the e-collar on thta behavior too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

the pup is trying to show his dominance by humping another dog, i bet he will grow out of it. i got a pup thats 3 months old and he does the same thing with other dogs. if they are bred to be coons dogs they will stop doing all that when they get a little older and go tree coons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i understand that it's a dominance thing but the thing about it is that he is so singularly focused on this behavior that i cannot work around other dogs right now. i can deal with it. it's the rest of the family that's having a hard time. i am going to get an e collar & see where things go from there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a sporting e collar in trade.used it a couple times and didn't like it. Went back to my trashbreaker ultra. Tri tropics the only way to go.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:34 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

rober ive never had a dog as bad as yours i dont reckon. if you use a shock collar i would think youll have to be with him every time your pup is around other dogs. ive had pups to do that with older dogs but never for a long period of time,usually the old dog would snap at the pup a few times and the pup would learn not to do that. good luck with him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

he is the humpinest pup that i've ever had. some dogs have protested but he keeps coming back for more. the biggest hassle is with 'pet' owners who do not understand the domanition factor & get all worked up over what's going on. the dogs do sort these things out amongst themselves. the wife already made an appt to get him nuetered. i'm hoping an e collar will get him a reprieve. this reminds me of a tale of 2 dogs talking to each other at the vet's office. the 1st dog allowed that because of his repeated bad behavior his owner is having him put down & asks the 2nd dog why he was at the vet's. the 2nd dog replies that he keeps humping his mistress. ah-says the 1st dog, so you're getting put down too. no says the 2nd dog. i'm here to get my claws trimmed........

Post subject: E collars & humping
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The problem is it will take 2 weeks to a month to get him acclimated to the collar before u can use it. An ecollar will work but it won't be a quick fix. You cant just throw the collar on the dog and shock him. He needs to be conditioned to the collar first. If you have time and patience the ecollar will work great.

Last edited by Canadian Hillbilly on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

To fast track getting him use to shock collar get and old collar tape a block of wood, size of shock collar and attach it to old collar and keep it on him when he is kennel or where ever. If you leave shock collar on him too long it could

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sorry hit wrong button. It could irritate his neck hand a bloodhound that had a sore on his neck from shock collar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks guys! i have no experience with e collars & i appreciate the input.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My 14 month old male will strike, run, and tree with other dogs. Once he trees he gets so excited he humps everything in sight. Bushes rocks other dogs, whatever. After that first tree he is pretty much done. Whats the deal. Anyone ever expierenced this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It's normal for pups to get worn out after one tree. Your best bet is to just put him back in the box, and end on a good note. Once he is a little more mature, you can start exposing him to multiple drops.

As far as the humping goes his excitement is leading to a dominant state of mind. You need to correct this behavior. He needs to know his place in the pack. I would focus on doing some basic obedience drills, outside of hunting and once he understands correction, and your leadership, you will be able to correct him of any other bad habits. I highly recommend the use of a slip lead

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The other thing is he may have lymes, if he does this will greatly deplete his drive and stamina, if he ever gets a limp, or coat looks dull and are having trouble keeping weight. I would get him tested.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app