CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: new dog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

want to get some opinions. I have had this dog for about a week now. Ive tried to spend as much time as possible with him in the kennel for him to get to know me. I took him out a couple a nights ago with my buddies 5yr old walker. we ended up treeing a den and one coon but my dog wasnt anywhere around. I heard him strike and trail a couple times off alone but never treed. ended up losing him til someone called next morning 1 mile away from drop. Do you think he was running deer? Let me know what you think. thanks.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: new dog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just my opinion but Id give him another chance I have been through several dogs and u have had this problem I would give him time I really don't think he was running a deer though

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thanks. I know this time of year the runs get long. the ones my buddies dog ran where long. weather is gonna warm up sunday so going out again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It takes about 30 times out hunting. To really get to know what kind of dog you have ....Sounds to me he might be catching possums and killing them ????

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:20 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I would watch the dog. A dog needs to sorta keep up with where he is in the woods. Strange woods or not. He needs to know how to back track to where he has been when he gets through hunting and be around where you turned him out. Sounds like that he might have come from someone that has used the shock collar without conditioning him to it and he just keeps going and not come back after he gets through hunting. As far as knowing what he was after, you will have to guess. I would hold him till other dogs struck and then walk him in and try to get him in the race that you know is a coon. And no this will not make him a me too dog. Then go from there. But if he keeps up that not coming back, I couldn't handle that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The best dog Ive ever owned is a english female I still have today.It took her a full 2 mths to show me her stuff !! She would tree on bushes no taller than me.Start a lot of tracks and not finish them.Not hunt by herself.Then one night she turned it on and has never looked back!! The ONLY reason I held on and didnt shoot her is because I had hunted with her a few times before and knew what she could do.Most people including myself would have sent her down the road after 2 weeks and missed out on a great hound.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would keep hunting him. My grandpas best dog he ever had wouldn't hunt out, couldn't tree, or couldn't run a track when he first got him. That dog was supposed to have a first place win in UKC and be top notch. He ordered that dog out of a Full Cry book and had him shipped from Arkansas. When he got him he was disappointed to see this dog wasn't what he was talked up to be with the first place being fake. But he hunted every night back then so this dog turned on quick.
He made him ntch and had a win towards grand before he got to old.
My point is, give the dog a chance and he might turn out to be your best. As for the deer problem, he might not be running deer. What I'll do before I even start hunting a new dog is see if they run deer. I'll put them on lead and walk them out to field in evening. Usually there r deer everywhere so I wait til they clear field and take dog to where they were I turn em loose and don't say a thing. If dog starts running I'll shock em and call em off it. Usually that's all it takes but I'll do it again a few days later to make sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

update. he did good tonight. he struck on lead so i let him go. treed but coon jump into water and then he made it to den. did good on tree other then he likes to chew the tree. taking him out alone tomorrow night and will see. He definitely needs some obedience training. hard to catch if he isn't on tree. will work on this some this week hopefully. partly i don't think he knows his name. so i am not sure what to do with that. hopefully i can polish him up some into a good coondog. thanks for the advice guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Dogs that chew on the tree are really treeminded.That usually make really good treedogs.But they have the (fault) that they can be hard to hear at times....If the dog is hard to handle you need to get a tracking collar.You can by cheap used MN10 they work really well and are easy to use...I bought one for $175 with 2 collars..And we still use it .Everybody that hunts a dog should use a tracking collar on every dog they hunt.That way if you dont hear them in 20 min or so . Pull out your tracker and find him..(On handling) most vets have training classes you can take your dog to...Once you take the class you can train all your dogs.And maybe a buddys dog or two...LOL..

Profile  WWW