CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: me too dog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:12 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

O K folks, some of you are pretty good at debunking my theories, so let me hear some of yours. Just exactly what is a me too dog and how is one made? Just because a dog honors another dog on trail or tree is that a me too dog? If you hunt one by himself, will he get out of the habit? If you just hunted him with your dogs by yourself or pleasure hunted with friends, and he would occasional strike and tree on his own, would you keep him? Will listen to all reasonable explanations.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My opinion is a me too dog only trees with other dogs and can't drive his own track worth a damn. Ive never fed a dig like that so I don't know how to turn it around other than maybe hunting it by itself. I would not keep a dog that can't do it all with some degree of accuracy and style

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

Post subject: Re: Re: me too dog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

[quote="Canadian Hillbilly"]My opinion is a me too dog only trees with other dogs and can't drive his own track worth a damn. Ive never fed a dig like that so I don't know how to turn it around other than maybe hunting it by itself. I would not keep a dog that can't do it all with some degree of accuracy and style
I second that

Post subject: Re: me too dog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

when i was a kid a bought a dog from a old man, he told me the dog will tree hes on coon. i hunted that dog for year mostly by hisself and never saw that first coon with him, so i started hunting with a friend of mine that had a grand nite champion dog and my dog looked like a million bucks with that grand nite dog. he would run the track with that dog and treed with him, my buddy was impressed with him and i told him he aint no count hes just a me to dog and thats all he ever will be and thats all he ever was to. i had a male cur that i started hunting him at 8 weeks old, just let him foller me in the woods and he was treeing these mountain coons at 6 months old, i was hunting him bout 4 times a week and he turned out the best dog i ever had. i bred him and kept a female pup out of him and i started hunting her as soon as she could foller me thru the woods, at 10 months old she was treeing live coons in the woods by herself. as she got older she started going with her daddy but her daddy was getting all the first trees cause he was so fast, so i started hunting her by herself, i took her 4 nights and treed 7 coons i said shes a coon dog even though she was bout 14 months old. i hunted them 2 dogs together for about 10 years and as the female got older she started letting her daddy get all the first trees again so i started hunting her by herself again and she started treeing coons again. these dogs were mountains curs and ive never seen a cur bad about back tracking. i have seen some good dogs backtrack but usually its when i saw a coon go across the road and turn the dog loose right on top of it and it would go backards sometimes cause the track was just as hot either way but the figured it out before they got to far with it. i have seen some high priced dogs i know was back tracking cause they would strike a track hot and as they were running it it would get colder and colder then they would tree a den tree. a track shouldnt get colder as a dog is running it, it should stay bout the same like a feeder track or it should heat up the longer they run it. this might sound stupid but a coon a running will leave more scent than a coon walking. a coon running toes spread out futher and leaves more of a scent, its ike a dog after he uses the bathroom he scratches the ground,hes leaving his scent behind, when a coon is just walking they leave a lot less scent on the ground. iam sure youve heard your dogs cold trailing a track and you could bout walk and keep up with them,then they start to burn that track up well thats when the coon started running, the coon the dogs are after them.if you want to kill the coon for your dogs when they tree,kill the coon that your dog had to work the hardest for not the ones they scald the coons rear they know they got that one,the hard coons is what will make a coon dog not the easiest one all the time unless the dog is just starting. it seems to me theres not a lot of dogs now days that can tree the hard tracks but also there seems to be way more coon now days so it dont take the greatest track dog to see coons, but if you ever hunt in real thin coons you will see what kind of dog your leading. good luck with your coon dogs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

well put skeets, id like the chance to see a dog from somewhere in indiana or nebraska, somewhere with thick coon to come down here in tn and try to tree a mountain coon in a laurel thicket or clear cut. it takes a good dog to tree one in a clear cut.....i believe a me too dog will tree a coon by itself occasionally. not necessarilly back another dog, years ago my dad had cold nose country coondog, could put a coon at the end period, BUT he would back another dog if slick, if it was slick dad would tell the guy to leash his dog, and say hunt it up, old heat would staighten it out. i personally like to hunt a pup by itself, because a good one will impress you when your least expecting. so no, whats the use to keep a metoo dog, unless thats what you want.

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ghost these tennessee coons are sure hard to tree thats for sure.lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think a me to dog is made by lack of singleing him out at some point as a pup, the one who put the pup with the older dogs and never hunted him by himself, never had the chance to figure things out on his own. Kinda how new kids do at a new school they find a group of kids and just follow the croud not really knowing whats all going on. The me to dog want ever be able to do too much by himself. but some me to dogs can win on nite hunts unfortunately. I think the me to dog falls back on the fault of the handler and the way the pup was trained, like being too lazy to take the time to actually put time in their pup instead of dumping him out in packs of experienced dogs, they need to get out and do the work and be proud of something worth owning, instead of a bunch of culls. Once people got a pup running and treeing and the pup is doing it consistantly and then single him out, thats when the hours and the memories of when you trained your dog the hard way and the satisfaction comes into play. GETTEM TREED AND HAPPY HUNTING.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:33 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
ghost these tennessee coons are sure hard to tree thats for sure.lol

Hey skeets, what makes the coon so hard to tree in Tn? Do you rekon they harder to tree there than any other place? Just some instances. Last night I didn't have a dog worth killing. Was it the coons or the dogs?

Good reply d harris.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ghosthunter wrote:
well put skeets, id like the chance to see a dog from somewhere in indiana or nebraska, somewhere with thick coon to come down here in tn and try to tree a mountain coon in a laurel thicket or clear cut. it takes a good dog to tree one in a clear cut.....i believe a me too dog will tree a coon by itself occasionally. not necessarilly back another dog, years ago my dad had cold nose country coondog, could put a coon at the end period, BUT he would back another dog if slick, if it was slick dad would tell the guy to leash his dog, and say hunt it up, old heat would staighten it out. i personally like to hunt a pup by itself, because a good one will impress you when your least expecting. so no, whats the use to keep a metoo dog, unless thats what you want.

not sure what being from indiana or nebraska has to do with treeing a coon. i would put money and lots of it that my nebraska dogs wouldnt have a problem!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:41 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm not doubtin them but it wouldnt be a breeze like you think

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:41 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

JacobB64 wrote:

what exactly would the problem be? i hunt all kinds of areas lots of places dogs cast a mile or more before ever hitting a track. other places you can count on a track quickly. we hunt every kind of climate from severely hot to severely cold and actually have very diverse terrain. hell where i was hunting yesterday morning there is a ski slope and ski lift down the road.(shut down now). nebraska isnt one big corn field.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I ain't sure of the difference but I see on here where folks are baggin 20 or do a night but youd be luck to bag 20 all season here in west tn..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:02 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i hunt in southeast tn. and theres just not many coons at all around hear, and you have to have a real coon dog to tree them. where i hunt at alot of times coons will go down the bluffs were a dog cant get down to quick if at all and the bluffs are sometimes over 100 feet high. my dog will go down the bluffs after a coon but alot of time the coon will be in a den by the time the dog trees it cause it takes the dog so long to get down them. there is also mountain laurl that grows in the mountains and it gets so thick sometimes i have to crawl thru it and you can bet thats where the coon will go to and its so thick it will slow the dog down while the coon is running for all hes worth to get away to a den. dogs from flat country would have a rough time treeing coons in the mountains until they get use to it. ive had dogs from flat country and ive seen them run a coon off the bluffs and just start treeing cause the didnt know how to get down and heard of a few that were killed falling off the bluffs but if a dog is a sure nuff coon dog from flat country they will learn to tree just as many coons as dogs that are hunted in the mountains. i had a dog from plains ga. i got from president jimmy carters cousin, the dog has never seen a mountain lol so i was hunting him on the side of the mountain, well he struck something and what ever it was went up the bluffs and that dog tracked what ever it was up the bluffs he should have found a easier place to go up but he was climbing them rock like a rock climber i reckon you could call him a track stradler lol well as i was watching him climb them huge bluffs i said to myself there aint no way that dog is going to make it up them bluff and as soon as i said that the dog sliped and fell and he was bounceing and rolling off the bluffs lol then i said to myself that dog is going to hit me, i just froze like dummy and down came that dog and knocked my knees out from under me lol. i laid there a min. makeing sure i aint dead then laid there a min. longer waiting for the pain but no pain so i got up and that crazy dog just got up off the ground and the look in his eyes looked like hes been on a 3 day drunk but he was fine in a few min. and acted like nothing ever happen lol. i had another dog i raised, he would tree a few coons around here but wasnt what i called a coon dog. i was at a hunt and a guy from up north wanted to buy him cause he said he had i think about 10 dogs and none of them would tree a coon, i told him this dog here will tree you a coon but he aint a coon dog. i sold him for 200 bucks, he was worth more that that but i want rip nobody off i told him if that dog want tree u coons ill buy him back. 2 weeks later the guy called me and i asked how that dog was doing he told me he treed 90 coons the first week with him and 10 the next week i said howcome you just treed 10 the second week he said it was to cold to hunt and he said if i got anymore dogs forsale let him know and he will drive down to get them, i told him i didnt have any forsale lol. around here you want tree and see 90 coons all year and thats hunting all summer and winter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

mnb&t wrote:
JacobB64 wrote:

what exactly would the problem be? i hunt all kinds of areas lots of places dogs cast a mile or more before ever hitting a track. other places you can count on a track quickly. we hunt every kind of climate from severely hot to severely cold and actually have very diverse terrain. hell where i was hunting yesterday morning there is a ski slope and ski lift down the road.(shut down now). nebraska isnt one big corn field.

im not talking about the climate mnb&t, its got alot to do with food. when weather gets cold here all they got to eat is the creeks and branches, and maybe some lizards or something. coons move alot here. if they dont find food here theyre gonna go where they can eat. we have steep mtns thick laurel. these coons here have been known to climb across laurel branches to get away from dogs they can get away without even touching the ground, for example. but like he said im not doubting it, well if u got a dog used to hunting in country like this, and can tree a coon, you really got something. its harder than you think than just striking a track on the edge of a corn field and running it in alittle patch of open woods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

yeah man i hate them laurel thickets, some are pretty bad, you know a bear can cut through that stuff like butter. id much rather go through a mean clear cut, well i take that back, went through one the other night and next morning the guys at work said they thought a bobcat got ahold of me lol, those green briars will eat u up, but them dogs had the coon