CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Not finishing tracks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a question for any expeirenced hunter. I recently had a 3 year old redbone givin to me she aint been hunted in 2 years. Ive been workin with her alot shes treed 3 possums and a couple of den trees. Just a week ago she started opening up on track but she never finishes it. She barks and carries on for a few minutes then quits for 5 minutes then comes back to me. Kinda wonderin if she aint trackin a possum then catches it on the ground kills it then comes back to me. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Not finishing tracks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 pm 
IP:
shes probably on a cold track! ive had alot of dogs with cold noses that would do that ! coons aint moving until early morning right now! so you will have alot of cold tracks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I aint no seasend coon hunter but i have a male walker that does that same very thing. And i have cought him MANY MANY times with a possum. we have used a shock collar on him becouse of them, and know he has gotten very clever, He opens up on trake and follews it then all of a sudden he stops, then if you now what to look for then you will catch him running with the possume. he kills it and then hides it then he comes back to me. so I would really love to find out how to just stop him from doing it. it wouldnt be so bad but he is just so dang sneeky about it all, and after he gets hte possume and kills it then comes back to me he is fine and he will go on to treeing coons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:17 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Id say your 100% right about her... Possums move when coon dont.So your best bet to treeing coon is to hunt around water.Or a place with a lot of dens right now.I would hunt on only good nights.That are not frosty or cold...Boar coon should be rutting or starting to rut in most areas now..They start smelling a lot stronger and will be hitting a lot of den trees....I wouldnt shock her on possums until you get her treeing a few coon first..If you try breaking her on the tree now she might never be a good treedog.If shes not treeing a few coon first...Your better of breaking her for catching them on the ground than on a tree...You can place some possums in live traps and wait until she hits one then bust her...Like all breaking using a shocking collar it takes months if not a year or two to break a dog 100%...Some dogs you can never break 100%.

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW