CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got a two year old male that had been hunting with older dogs good and needs singled out. So I took him out to the woods middle of day to work on his handling skills, he opened up on a track 3:10 in the afternoon slowly work it to a den tree opening every 3-4 minutes and I mean it took him 20-30 minutes to move this track 150-200 yards to a den tree, checked the tree and then started all over again and at the end decided to tree. Being a young dog never hunted by himself I thought this was just inexperience at work and he was unsure about the track because of how old it had to have been. So I have had him out at night, first 3 nights moon was as bright as a reading light and as full as a tick on a dogs back. He would open a little and then get quiet for 20-30 minutes but you can here him working and sniffing back and forth then he will fall in treed and has always had the coon, treed 4 this way in 3 nights with a full moon. two nights ago it was cloudy and dark he opened on track 2 or 3 times and never really moved it so I decided to get him but when I called him in he just stopped and treed had the coon. Shot the coon and decided to head back to the truck but just thought I would let him hunt back(He is a close hunter 150-250 yards max) halfway across the field and upwind of treeline he made a beeline for the woods stopped at the first tree and treed had the coon it was like he already knew it was there. Now tonight it was cold and clear but not much of a moon yet and he opened worked and then slowly treed had the coon. He just seemed real slow but very deliberate almost like he is scared to open unless he is absolutely positive there is a coon. Again young and lacking confidence is my explanation to this. But here is my question While he was in the bottom working forever on the track I saw a coon on the ground headed opposite way, so after I killed the coon he treed I put him on the leash and headed up the to where I had seen the coon on the ground 30-40 minutes before cut him loose and he found the track opened real nice but the more he warmed it up the quieter he got watched him jump the corn out of some cattails along the pond and pushed the coon up a cottonwood again I did not have my light on just clear enough to see outline of the coon and dog, he checked the tree, and then started over again never opened but made 100% ceratain he had it right then went back and opened slow and steady till he treed. Is this dog always going to do this? Will he improve his confidence and Speed? Should I bring another dog in to help? Any Ideas would be appreciated? Probably need to just keep hunting him? But just curious if I can help him, would really like to see him turn out>

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the more he learns alone the better he will get all the way around.
when you single them out most are still at the beginning level of tracking because they no longer have the experianced dog to pick up the loses and show them the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i think he is fine. hunt the crap out of him he will pick it up.. most people complain cause there dogs never tree coons. yours just wants it rite the first time