CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: what to do now
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 2 year old and a 18 month old i hunt them seperatly all the time. they each treed a coon and ran some kind of tracks. my question is coon season opens in nine days should i continue to hunt hem alone or go with my friend who has a good slow hunting dog? I dont want them to rely on other dogs though. There has been many many many frustratingly nights I am at the point that I may get out of it all together so this is a big question

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: what to do now
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am in the same boat as you. I have young dogs and friends that coon hunt and i dont want my dog to rely on them. I would love to hear what everyone has to say

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hunt with your freinds some don't give up on it you just need to get some coons on there heads shot out to them. I have a young dog right now to but it will all be worth it when they turn out. Send it to a reputable trainer or have someone that is retired or young and hunts all the time if you dont have time to get your young dog tuned up.Just my 2 cent. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It gets old real quick if your not hunting with good dogs..Hunt your dogs one at a time with a GOOD dog that runs and trees....Once they are running and treeing good.Start hunting them alone to see what they can do alone...Most dogs are no where near a finnished broke dog until 3-4 years old for the average dog.Thats because they are not hunted enough to be finished out..(A little free advice)..If your not happy with your dogs.Look for a older nice finnished dog just to have fun hunting again..I like to keep 2-3 older dogs around just to hunt with my huntin buddys.But I like hunting my younger dogs too when I hunt alone...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If you've hunted these young dogs alone, they may not rely on the other dogs. But at the same time, it may not hurt them to have another dog to help them out as long as the dog you hunt them with doesn't have any unwanted habits your young dog may pick up. Since you've hunted these dogs alone though, I wouldn't worry about them becoming "me too" dogs. I have a young dog that I can cut loose with any dogs and most of the time he's off doing his own thing. So I wouldn't worry about it, just go hunt and have fun.