CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a dog that when i got him would be a great dog to own. He would locate and work a track hard. and 90% of the time he had the meat.never backed a dog. the last two months it has got worse to where it was maybe one miss a night to now its nothing all night. so we took a fresh coon showed it to him he freaks out breaks a leash to get to it. we held him back drug the coon down a path and he couldnt smell the track at all. so i went to burger king on the way home bought a burger broke off a piece and waved it two feet away from him and he just stood there. nothing at all from him....

is there any way he could have a sinus infection? or a paracite?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 pm 
IP:
My dog has allergies late summer and fall and he can't even smell a deer to chase. It's getting colder out so his nose is getting better but it's far from 100% yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i was actually told to give him claritin today for a few weeks. i am running him to the vet this weekend to get him checked. laying him up for two weeks also.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ive heard a story one time about a dog that was alot like yours and the owner took him to a vet and come to find out the dog had a bad tooth and thats why he couldnt smell good enough to tree coons. maybe the vet could check that for ya.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

took the dog to the vet. no sinus problems. doc said i just need to lay him up a bit. just probably lost his drive. since he is just 1 1/2.

its hard to put a dog up that treed six coons in two hours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:58 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

that don't make sense at all to me. did he lose his drive for a fresh burger too or has he never had one before.. my dogs have only ever ate dry dog food,if you shoved a burger in thier face they have no clue they are supposed to eat it. tried it with pills and meds.
a dead coon dont drop skin cells that makes the scent a dog actually tracks,dont matter how fresh dead it is.not many dogs that are used to scent hunting coons other then maybe a know nothing pup will even try to track or bark at a dead coon .
if he is slick treeing or not treeing at all now i would look for another reason other then he can't smell.
if he could tree 6 in 2 hrs maybe you just thinned out the coon in your woods.
walk a bitch in heat up to him and see if he can smell that.
or release a live coon and see if he can track it and tree it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

already did the live coon thing. did it before i started the thread. havent shot coons out to him on the land that i was hunting so they arent thin. i just think he is lazy and i was letting him get away with not treeing right. i just started hunting dogs last year so its probably my fault.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

young dogs go through differant phases as they progress. it don't mean its anyones fault. they do this same stuff no matter if you got 1 yr or 30 yrs under your belt.
most of the time when a young dog falls apart it is not a physical problem but more of a mental mind set it has gradually fell into or a change in conditions..
if it is mental you have to kinda get into his head and do a few things to bring his fire back. make him want the coon again.
if its conditions you just got to hunt them through it untill they learn to perform in it.