CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a two year old walker male. He will run and tree like crazy with my other dogs, but when i take him by his self he still runs the crap out of a track and locates but will never tree he just shuts up and comes back. how can i fix this?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Bill T wrote:
I got a two year old walker male. He will run and tree like crazy with my other dogs, but when i take him by his self he still runs the crap out of a track and locates but will never tree he just shuts up and comes back. how can i fix this?

==========================
==========================
Shoot some Coon out when he trees!!!! Let him know there's something up the tree where the trail ends !!! He probably doesn't see the point of just standing and barking at a tree until a "human" comes to put a chain on him and leds him to the truck. He thinks-- well its over, I'm old enough to go on out by my self; there's no need to stay here and bark until the old dummy gets here to lead me out like I was a puppy!!!!

Some people are weird; They think a dog should have a coon everytime it trees but then think the dog should never have a coon. I believe dogs who continually tree without a coon being shot out; are mentally retarded. Smart dogs get tired of going through Mud, Water,Briars,snow,sluice and etc. to the tree and then just get led to the truck.

If your dog has had coon put on the ground and still isn't treeing you've got problems!!! If he hasn't had access to them start putting some down and I thank you wont have a problem.

====================================================
The Swamp Guide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the tip. I strongly agree with the second paragraph. He has had coons on him and hates them with a passion but its usually with other dogs not by himself cause he dont every really get treed alone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:23 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

if he was mine, i would keep hunting him alone. stay as close as you can while hes running the track but i wouldnt be shineing a light on him while hes running it might make him come to ya, when he locates i would get to him as fast as i can i mean book to him. if he meets you before you get to him keep walking were you heard him last try to make him go back and he might just do that if you can get close enough to the tree. if you get to the tree and hes got the coon pet him up good let him know hes the best thing since sliced bread. i think your dog might be lacking confidence in hisself, keep hunting alone and alot and i bet he will be allright. i hope he makes ya a goodun :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:53 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

skeets wrote:
if he was mine, i would keep hunting him alone. stay as close as you can while hes running the track but i wouldnt be shineing a light on him while hes running it might make him come to ya, when he locates i would get to him as fast as i can i mean book to him. if he meets you before you get to him keep walking were you heard him last try to make him go back and he might just do that if you can get close enough to the tree. if you get to the tree and hes got the coon pet him up good let him know hes the best thing since sliced bread. i think your dog might be lacking confidence in hisself, keep hunting alone and alot and i bet he will be allright. i hope he makes ya a goodun :D

skeets is telling you right, i have even had to go looking for the coon and find it after dog left tree, tied em to tree, got em to tree a little, shot coon out, hang it back up and they will usually tree harder on the hang up. another jump starter for sticking to tree is to let him tree a cage coon in broad daylight. lower it down by his head and raise it back up til hes crazy over it, then lead him away still wanting more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I always said that a good hot track could never go wrong. Try trapping a coon and letting it go in front of him. Let him see it run away and cut him behind it alittle ways. Then you could get to tree and pet him up real good and then knock it out to him. This works in the day or night. I would try day first.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:47 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

He could be catching off game like possums on the ground..What to do with him....Chain him back and knock the coon out to the other dogs.Dont let him touch another coon when hunting with other dogs...Then hunt him alone as much as possible....Only let him get a coon if he trees it himself while hunting alone..Put a lighted dog collar on him so you can see if hes checking trees..If you see him checking tree that means hes treeminded.....Thats a really good thing..Many dogs are not treeminded and just do what the other dogs do as long as they get the coon....Some dogs will not hunt right alone...Ive known Grand Nite champions.That has won big hunts..That will not hunt alone..Thats a fault they have..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not running junk trust me hes broke. He does check the trees. I know because when he would hunt he would only go about fifty to sixty yards and he would check the trees all around him. I have been hunting him for the last two weeks alone and he has gotten better still not finishing the track however. But i can run a drag with him and he will tree on it. I guess hes just a defective dog lol. Thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well guys just getting in from hunting and would you know the darn dog treed twice tonight but could not find the coon. the canopy here in the south is horrible i mean terrible. thanks once again for all the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:12 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

keep after him! the leaves will fall soon!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The fault I see in your problem is not that he won't tree is that he is leaving a tree.
If he locates with the other dogs and trees and you no his locate. This is the exsact thing I went threw last winter run track locate leave.

If you own a garmin and a shock collar if mine located and left soon as she was 50yds I bumped her (lightly) andwas hollrn to get back on tree and hauln butt to get there I mean running. She come back got her to treeeing tied her to tree found coonn went back to truck let her tree for 5 10mins went bck and knocked coon out to her. This by know means fixed it was a big start to where she is solid now.

I would say your dog has picked up sometme or another that he meet you back a little ways off tree when's others were treeing mayb even just 10yds. So now his mental thought is to get you instead of you getting him.

My personal opinion I don't see how roll cage, lettn coon run from tree, or knocking one out to tree a dead coon hanging in his nose would do you any good at all. I would never let your dog have a coon that he pulled away from period.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

butler wrote:
The fault I see in your problem is not that he won't tree is that he is leaving a tree.
If he locates with the other dogs and trees and you no his locate. This is the exsact thing I went threw last winter run track locate leave.

If you own a garmin and a shock collar if mine located and left soon as she was 50yds I bumped her (lightly) andwas hollrn to get back on tree and hauln butt to get there I mean running. She come back got her to treeeing tied her to tree found coonn went back to truck let her tree for 5 10mins went bck and knocked coon out to her. This by know means fixed it was a big start to where she is solid now.

I would say your dog has picked up sometme or another that he meet you back a little ways off tree when's others were treeing mayb even just 10yds. So now his mental thought is to get you instead of you getting him.

My personal opinion I don't see how roll cage, lettn coon run from tree, or knocking one out to tree a dead coon hanging in his nose would do you any good at all. I would never let your dog have a coon that he pulled away from period.

the logic behind the hung up dead coon and the cage coon is to get the dog to tree and enjoy the pleasure of treeing. when a dog "gets treed" they get excited and it causes a release of endorphins, similar to when a human takes drugs. once they get to experience the pleasure of it, they will be hooked. they do it for the rush, not for the coon and not for you, that is the science behind a "tree dog". it has worked for me, and what you did worked for you. different methods to achieve the same results. every dog is different and some might be too sensitive to the shock therapy, but i can see how your method works. your last sentence makes a very good point, my way is just simpler, easier and almost fool proof. can make a poodle or german shepherd tree that way.lol. not everyone has a garmin or a shock collar. i hunted for a long time without either, and still dont have a garmin, just radio frequency collars. i used to say i wouldnt own a dog that i needed a tracker or shocker for, but of course now i wonder how i ever got along without them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

showmecoon
I thought same dang thing about the shock collar and garmin. I hunted for 4years without a tracker or shocker and 6volt nite lite. Hunted 4 5nights a week. Last year i bought new 21volt belt light used garmin with 2 collars from friend. in got a shock collar for hunting a pup. used it mainly for pen barking and used very few times in woods just on my gyp. Now i havnt used it in 2months.

I agree with your tree rush a dog gets the only fault is that some take it to far and tree everything for that rush. I honestly believe that some hounds tree coons for owners but tree trees for themselves. Its finding the hound that trees coons for the rush not just the tree.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:29 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

yes that is where the balance of two instincts come together, the tree instinct and the(for lack of a better word)"gameness" instinct. then you have a dog that only trees the game, unlike so many of the slick treeing idiots that are seen today. i have owned a few of those(note own"ed"; past tense verb,lol). Bill T, don't be discouraged at what your dog is doing, help him to get over this hump in the road. i would rather be having a dog like him to work with than trying to fix a dog that slicks. a bullet is usually the only fix for those. when i was training young dogs for other folks, i worked with a pair of walker females that did the same as yours is doing. at night i stayed close to them, got some coon down on them and got them to treeing and staying put and they made fine, accurate hounds. i also gave them turned loose game once in daylight so they would see it in the tree and really get stuck, but be careful with that. you want him using his nose, not his eyes to find the right tree. as i said, i did it ONCE, cause i felt they needed it to bring the tree out in them. pay attention to the dogs, they will usually tell you what they need you to do for them, in their own way. butler, you should post more often on this board. you have a good way of thinking about a young dog(making them earn it). might really help some guys out with that school of thought. everybody wants to cage coon the heck out of these young dogs, and some do need that jump start, but most don't and it is easy to overdo it because it is so much fun to see the dog tree them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:46 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks for the kind words showmecoon. Yes them slick treeings hounds have been in my kennel also, they only go one way from my pens.

Bill keep after that young dog and alone. I know how discouraging it is to leave one. At the house but more a dog is by itself the better. Once he is to the stay treed point start sitting back and giving him more time. I was oonly adding 15 20secs every 4 5 trees but after a month I don't have to worry bout my gyp living. Like last night I turned her loose went to town(mile) got a pizza ate it and went back 45mins later she was half mile in so I was guessing she had been there 25 30mins. I do that on very rare occastion maybe once a month (hunting min of 4nights a week by herself)