CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog lost its drive?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a three year old female that has lost her drive.She was doing real good,and has treed alot of coon in style.The only thing that has changed is she came in heat so i put her in the kennel for three weeks.Another thing that changed is she started lookin heavy so i switched her feed from the blue sportmix to the green sportmix.I took her hunting twice this weekend and she looked like a mutt.She treed coons but acted really slugish and just flat out didnt want to hunt.Shes got me really aggervated cause i know shes better than that.Im not sure if changing feed could mess her up that bad or laying her up did it?Maybe both? All opinions would be helpfull cause ive never seen this before.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Dog lost its drive?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:08 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

You've had a dog that's been in heat that took a break for 3 weeks.........Not sure I would be worried and concerned with only hunting the dog 2 nights after she has been penned up for 3 weeks in heat.

If she stays in a rut is one thing but not after 2 hunts to get worried.

Also, not only do dogs have bad days that they look like crap but it happens with humans. The only 4 time MVP in the NFL, Peyton Manning has had games he would rather forget and looked nowhere near being a 4 time MVP.

Get the dog back in action and hunting and don't be concerned over 2 bad nights after being put up for 3 weeks in heat.........Heat cycles have been known to mess with a dog's mind with the hormones -- if your married, then you know about that time each month about hormones. If your not married and haven't experienced it, JUST WAIT. :mrgreen:

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Dog lost its drive?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the info buckshot.Yes im married so i know all about females acting goofy and tired each month.Im planing on putin her in the woods as much as possible.I guess me wanting to hunt so bad for 3 weeks didnt help the fact.