CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: End of my rope
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've got a plott/walker female. She's about 3 years old and is the hardest hunting dog i've ever seen. She's great on a track but i've noticed she only goes on the hot tracks, mostly because i'm pretty sure she's trying to catch the coon on the ground. She loves to fight em and isn't satified unless she tastes em. The problem with this is she absolutely will not tree on one. At first she would stick around til you got there, which gave me the opportunity to tie her to the tree. Well now as soon as the track ends at the tree, she's off after another track. The only way i know she's puttin em in a tree is from hunting her with other dogs who will tree. I was contemplating shocking her as soon as she takes off but am afraid this will just make things worse. Any suggestions?? If i can't get her treeing soon i'm gonna have to get rid of her which i hate to do because she's a very accurate dog and the only off game she goes after is skunks. I just dont know what to do with her. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: End of my rope
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would try statn over with her make a drag at nite with a cage coon and tie it up. Put her on her leash and letr her work the track and get her to tree and pet her up real good when she trees. Only let her get the coon when she has treed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:56 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

id try to keep up with her when she gets to the tree tie her a few feet back and then shoot the coon out and dont let her touch it let her go balls crazy but dont let her get her teeth into it ....... then go and drop her and see what she does

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had the same problem with a black and tan and I did everything and anything I knew of to fix it. You have to be very careful because he started to get whoopins from hell when he would leave the tree. Little did I know that a sow was puttin her kittens in trees then coming back down and moving. You have to watch this very carefully. What I suggest doing is shining the tree. If you see a mature coon up there after she leaves DO NOT CALL HER BACK TO YOU. Catch her and slap your lead on the ground very harshly. Get less aggressive the closer you get to the tree with the lead. Plotts from what ive seen are not hard tree dogs UNLESS they see the coon. Repeat this process until she stays on one tree. Do not leave the tree or knock the coon out unless she does what she is supposed to. She has to learn on her own that she is to stay. Time her and knock the coon out at one minute on the first tree, two minutes on the second all the way to five minutes on the fifth tree. Eventually she will understand. Occasionally she might leave until you walk in there do not give her fur in this situation. Only if she does what she is supposed to. Work her on her own until she gets it and when you put her with other dogs she will smoke them and tree harder. Hope this helps. It helped with mine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If shes 3 years old and has never treed before now.Chances are she never will..Most good treedogs will tree before doing anything else...About the only thing you can do.Is at every tree chain her back and let other dogs get the coon..Dont let her touch another coon until shes treeing before you get to the tree..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Tried the cage coon in the tree, keepin a shot coon away from her don't work cuz if it ain't able to fight she don't want it. You can't sneak up on her cuz she works so fast you dont have time to get to her. That's a good suggestion bawl mouth i may have to try it. If i cant get her treeing in the next couple weeks i'm gonna try puttin her on bear and seein if she'll do better on them cuz it'll be something she can see up in the tree. Idk what else to do, thanks all for your insight and suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not a problem good luck and good hunting

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine