CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: no motivation to hunt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well you know how when you take your dog out in public he'll embaress you, well I got embarressed last night and I was even by myself.
I got a 9 yr old walker that I got earlier this year. the only reason I took him was he was the great grandson of my late grandpa's best stud dog (heavily sackett bred). well I was told he's kinda slow and doesn't range far at all. the first few times I had him out he would run/trot 50-75 yards out and when hit a track he would run and tree. that style of hunting doesn't bother me at all. what bother's me now is last weekend I took him out he barely ever broke a trot and wouldn't venture more than 50 yards. he never hit a track and acted like he really didn't care if he was there.
well last night I took him out and he didn't hardly ever get in front of me. and I don't think he ever got more than 20 yards from me, or even broke into a trot. seemed more interested in following me at a heel than anything. I tried sitting on a log and he sat down about 5 foot from me, then layed down. this afternoon I went to check my trail cam and he came along, we jumped a feral cat and he was at my feet but came alive when he seen the cat, ran it about 100 yards, then treed like a pro.
I leave him to run free as he does a good job of guarding our chickens and has caught 1 coon on the ground trying to get sweet corn and put another up in our front yard.
he seems fine and within the last month I have put him on a diet as I noticed he was really getting fat. he's still getting plenty of food, I was feeding high energy diamond dog food and have dropped down to mainantice diamond dog food. the temps have really cooled down lately so I can't blame it on the heat.
I'm thinking maybe kennel him up for the day before I take him out at night and maybe he'll have some energy saved up and want to run?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

iam just asking has your dog been hunted on feeders alot? ive seen dogs trained on feeder buckets that really wouldnt hunt out at all unless you walked them over a coon and they would tree a coon that way. i would put him up for a while then try him, a dog that will lay down beside you while hunting is a no no unless hes sick or hurt. i hope he starts hunting better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:46 am 
IP:
Last winter my dog slowed down considerably, he's about 9 years old. I didn't know why until he started limping off and on this summer and realized it was age and sore joints that he'd been experiencing. You couldn't tell his joints were hurting at the time, but you sure can now.

Another thing that is common in older dogs is thyroid disorders; the thyroid can slow down (hypothyroidism) which makes them more tired and less enthusiastic and they can gain weight even when eating the same amount of food or less. If it gets bad enough their coats will start to look dull. Thyroid at least is easy to check, a blood test and a cheap pill once a day and they are back to new.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know if he was hunted from feeders or not. I do know I got him this spring. before that he was on a chain and never off for at least 2 yrs. he was hunted alot as a younger dog but would never make comp grade dog so he basicly got neglected. when i got him he was skin and bones, full of worms, and fearful of ppl. I wormed him, had him heartworm checked (neg) and starting feeding him better feed then ol'roy and giving him attention. he's livined up, gained weight, and became freindly to ppl and loves playing with my kids.

I would say he has been fed way to many cage coons, as we was selling some ducklings and had them in a cage and was talking to buyers and he proceeded to fight/bay the ducklings in the cage. if you pay to much attention to anything (see turtle picture) he will think he needs to bay it. he's bayed turtles, snakes, and even fish (out of water) .
he does have some strange quirks, like he will sleep beside one of our barn cats, but is always treeing, and trying to catch the other one.
I got him for free and the only reason I took him was because of his family tree. I wouldn't have paid a dime for him when I first seen him.
I guess I'll also see about getting a thyroid test done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Most free dogs have bad faults...But he might be better when it cools off..He might need to be walk hunted.Or hunted off a tail gate...I agree about cage coon...Cage coon will ruin a dog if over used..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW