CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DRIVE!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I know at different times iv put my 2-cents in on some training treads i did just yesterday.Mainly passing on second hand tips.Getting to the point, would any of you experianced houndsmen whip a young dog and make them go hunting last night i did.Ive NEVER had dogs that hang around your feet now all of a sudden i have two.And what really getts my goat both these young dogs have treed coon.One is turning 11 months the other is going to be 9 months old.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: DRIVE!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:49 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hunting young dogs this time of year can be hard on them.With the heat and the bad weeds...Even some older dogs will not hunt as hard in the summer as in cooler weather..Are you hunting them together???...Is so its best not to hunt young dogs together..Its easy for them to pick up bad habits from each other...Its best with a young dog .Just to not pay attention to them while hunting. Dont talk to them or pet them when hunting . Unless you have called them in or meet them at the tree...If they stay at your feet just start walking into the woods a ways...Most dogs will get bored and wander off...If you stay in one spot for a long time and dont mess with them....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:16 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

if it was me i would hunt the oldest one by hisself for a while and walk him and when he starts going good after a while then i would take the youngest pup with him some. i would think if they aint hunting real good right now is because there still mighty young. whipping them that young to make them hunt will confuse them and they will dread going hunting i would think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:37 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

most of them won't learn to go by whipping them. they will just go hide.
like they said above, they are young,weeds are bad and so on.
if each will run and tree alone there is no reason for them to be together or with another dog.
getting a young dog singled out to go alone is one of the most patient trying parts of makng a coondog.
alot of people hit that road block and give up , give them away,sell them or just keep hunting it with another dog that will go.
i have tried differant tricks, like releasing a coon and letting them see it go ,then loading the dog back in the truck and going somewhere else and cutting them in.
it may work once or twice.
i have got another dog out of the other side of the box so the pup thinks it is getting left. then i put the other dog in the cab of the truck and turned the pup loose. may work once or twice.but they will be looking for the other dog insted of a coon.
tried turning them on coon crossing the road, it got them to go hunting alright,hunting up and down the road.
the only way i have ever got them to go good and continue to go good is to just be patient when i turn one loose and wait them out. its very frustrating to sit and have the pup just stand there and look at you knowing they could do it if they would just go hunt.
one of the most hard going dogs i had would lay down and appear to nod off next to me when he was young. i had to get back in the truck and listen to the radio or nod off myself, otherwise i knew i was gonna stomp him in the ground.
i walk them in the woods on the leash then turn them loose and sit down.after they start going they have it in thier head that when i turn them off the leash its time to go hunting. whether its from the truck or the road or wherever. but it aint gonna happen over night. alot of people break and turn it with another dog after a few nights thinking it will help. it don't. it brings you right back to step one again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:03 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter: so what your saying is take them to the woods and turn them loose and just sit there if theyre going somewhere or not? how long do u stay? until they go? or whenever you get tired. would letting them run loose every night with me in the house do they same thing or do i need to go and sit in the woods with it.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There young im gonna stay with it.Main problem is 85 degree 98% humidity im built for the north but live in the south take it out on the dogs sometimes. Took the older pup the next nite with older dogs he kicked dirt in my face when i cut him lose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:04 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

WALKER1MAN wrote:
toe cutter: so what your saying is take them to the woods and turn them loose and just sit there if theyre going somewhere or not? how long do u stay? until they go? or whenever you get tired. would letting them run loose every night with me in the house do they same thing or do i need to go and sit in the woods with it.

(1) yes , but i will ease them in to where they have a good chance to find a track if they will look.
(2) as long as my patients last
(3) night after night untill they go, and i will move to differant woods,creeks and ditches in one night,just like i was hunting a broke dog.
(4) i can't do much to help them with me in the house and them outside running loose..running loose finding what ever to chase just creates more work for you.

the more you can make one want a coon, and the sooner you single it out, the easier it is to get them to go looking for one alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:40 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter: but see im 14 i only can hunt behind my house but i have 40 acres i can hunt. i always thought that if i walk her to far in the woods real close to a track she will expect me to do that every time. is that true or after i go with her she will go farther by herself since she knows its all good to go away and find a track herself

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

what have you done with her as far as exposing her to coon. released coon or hunted with another dog or anything ?.
if she has had some pre training and exposer to coon so thats what she is hunting for,it wont hurt her to walk her across a few tracks. once she knows they are out there she will hunt harder for them and pay less attention to where you are. go out there sit down and let her hunt. then ease her in farther. try and get her to where you think the coons are, creek,ditch,dens. when she just stands there looking at you ,thats where the patients come in to play.dont talk to her,dont pet her,dont shine your light around. after awhile she should relize there aint nothing happening by you.
where most dogs are turned into walk me dogs is by people hunting them with another dog till they will run and tree. then when they try and hunt them alone they won't go. so you have to walk them to get them to hunt. all you are doing is being the "other" dog for them. i firmly believe you or another dog don't teach a dog to track or tree. its bred in.what you or another dog do is expose them to coon to make them want them bad enough to use those bred in instincts to hunt for, track and tree a coon. i have said this a hundred times on here. if a 4 week old pup will track and tree a hot dog after you get them to want a hotdog, then they can use the same instincts to track and tree anything you make it want. no one taught the pup to do it,they just got them to want a hotdog.a 4 week old pup will hunt for a hotdog by winding, tracking,and everything . its just like watching a broke coon dog trying to hunt ,wind and track and tree a coon. so for me,as soon as a pup will try and run a track there is no since me turning it with another dog.once it wants it,it will figure out how to find it. i also believe that dogs tree because they can't continue on the track. they have no concept of what a tree is. you,another dog or breeding does not make them tree minded. to train a dog right is to let the raccoons make a dog tree minded.
so many people try so hard to teach a dog to tree and then wonder why it wants to tree on the first tree it can find when it smells a coon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:46 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So pretty much when I walk her in deeper and she finds a track and trees its showing her that those little varmits shes looking for isnt gonna be right wher she gets turned loose and she will have to go somewhere to find it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a tree line with a ditch going down the middle. Both sides of the tree line have grown up fields. The ditch has a few coons on it, but the fields are loaded with rabbits. I have two different logs I sit on. Sometimes they run rabbits and sometimes they try to run a coon. I just want them to do something with their nose, whatever that may be. Most of the time we just look at each other and enjoy being outside. If they got it, you'll look up one day and be sitting all alone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

and my dog wont go hunting good with another dog either. but when we walk to the other dogs tree she mills around and sometimes has found a track on the way up or down and treed but she still hasnt gone hunting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

WALKER1MAN wrote:
and my dog wont go hunting good with another dog either. but when we walk to the other dogs tree she mills around and sometimes has found a track on the way up or down and treed but she still hasnt gone hunting

what age is your female?
does she know the other dogs. is she in kennel near them or kept where she can get socialized with them?
usually when a pup won't go with another dog ,it is too young or it does not know the other dog, it has'nt been socialized with the training dog so they are buddies.most have to be comfortable with the other dog before they will hang with it.
trying to get a pup to go with dogs it don't know would be like expecting a young child going to micky d's alone to sit and eat at a table with people it don't know.your pup knows you and is comfortable with you,so she hangs with you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Would it be wise to lay a pup up thats 8-9 mouths old that not really hunting that good or just keep puting him in the woods?Iv raised a few nice hounds but this one is different he is not as natural.Doesnt open on the ground when i know hes running a track sometimes just wont get out of your site. Thinking about waiting till cool weather and trying again

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i dont think laying a dog up for a little while that young will hurt him any, i believe hes telling you iam not quite ready yet. you can teach him to lead and load while yall take a little time off while yall are at the house. be his buddy and he will come more pleasing you when hes ready to start treeing them coons. :D