CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: fallin short
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The hound my friend and I hunt in the comp. hunts has been pulling short on trees, one or two a night. He's not driving tracks also. He'll start a track and sometime just work a area over and then fall tree. We've been going in with our lights off and moving him on. If treed, we'll shine the tree. No coon found, we'll handle him and send him on. My question, on the last comp. hunt the 2 min. rule almost caught him twice. Once with the coon found and the other was circled. My freind felt so uncomfortable about it he withdrew him. He's been a very hard tree dog, could we be screwing him up. He's gone a long time without having a coon shot out to him because season is out.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: fallin short
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

might lay him off,with he heat and kitten coons he may not know what to do

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 5036800773

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 1000000083

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vid ... 4706800806

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

powerhouse ive never had much luck with a dog like that, if you straighten him out i would like to know how you did it. good luck with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

here some backround with this dog, Skeets. He's a 2 year old, always drove tracks in and had the coon 75%. He has won 80% of his cast. He started this crap around April of this year. I did change his feed to a "no grain dog food" two months ago. My coon dog training experience is zero, my first hound. Just looking for some advice. Skeets, heres what I'm going to do. I'm going to slow way down on the comp. hunts. No more beating(lite) at the tree. wait until kill season and start again.(make or break him) I've hunted and trained birddogs all my life, so I'm going to take a page from it. point and hold-pull the trigger--break and chase-push the button. I'll feed him coons when he's does it right. I'll give him the whip if not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

powerhouse i read in full cry one time about a dog like yours and the man that owned it took the dog to a vet and the vet found out that the dog had cavitys and had trouble smelling because of it. the dog went back to treeing coons after that. i had a dog that would act like the one your talking about but it was always before she was comming into heat. with the dog feed i dont care whats in it so much as long as they eat it and look healthy and ive had dogs live for 16 years with corn in their feed lol. in my opinion killing alot of coons want help him that much, there would be no coon dogs in southeast tn. cause there aint many coons if you had to kill alot of em lol. i wished i had the answer about your dog but i dont. if he was mine when he treed slick i would let him know about it and send him on and when he gets the tree right treat him like you just saw him walk on water. lol good luck :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:45 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

A 2 yr old is still a real young hound.Most dogs are not hunted enough to be finnished out til 3-4 years old...Hunting a young dog in the hunts can cause them to back slide and pick up bad habits...Most dogs that win a lot are your older dogs 3-5 years old for a reg dog.5-10 for Nites and grands..Kitten coon can also cause problems for young dogs...Night hunts take a lot of patience...You can win with a dog that has faults..Not very many dogs are perfect...A top handler will beat most good dogs..By out calling the other handlers...The best dog wont win the cast all the time....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Change his food and the weather turning is making a different. He's still not rolling over on the trees very well, but that from correcting him a little too hard on slick trees. He's treeing harder and having more coons. I hope he's getting ready to turn the corner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:11 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

powerhouse iam glad hes doing better :D it wont be long until things start cooling off and then we wont have to worry about the heat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if your dog is slick treed, take him by the collar or lead and circle him around the tree, making bigger circles as you lead him smelling, if the track is not finished , he should pick it back up. its hard to tell a slick tree right now, unless you have a tree with no leaves.

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm from south Texas and recently bought a 3 year old walker from Wichita Falls. The first 2 times I took him hunting he treed several times with no coon in the tree. The next 2 times he again treed several times each nite but there were coons in each tree. The last 4 times since then has has treed empty trees. What can I do?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've never have been to south Texas, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The news said it has been hot and dry down there. Hunting condition would be hard to judge a dog. I would do two things after condition change. First I would lead him around the tree to see if he can take the track on. If that doesn't work or he's not catching on. Then I would come down on him. make or break him. do this in kill season so you can reward him with a coon if he does it right(only) he may slip backward, but if he's a tree dog, you'll be o.k.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes it is extremely dry here and still hot at night when I hunt him. I usually go hunting at about 11 pm and was thinking about trying to go about 6am but I'm not sure if that would be better. I will try walking him around the tree like you said and see if that helps. Also I have been hunting him on the river bottom and most of the trees ate connected at the top. The positive is I have seen him run past deer hogs and house cats and never offered to run them or even bark. The coons he has treed I shot out and he really tore them up. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I tried what you said and it worked I killed a coon last night. I had to cut my hunt short after the first coon because I had a close call with about a 12 foot alligator. It got about 5 foot from my dog. Thanks for the advise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

you guys in the southern states are hard core. I live in southern Indiana, no snake, no hog, no sand burrs, no man eating gators. I don't know if I would hunt if I had to put up with that stuff. I bought a bird dog off a field trial guy once. The dog was from Texas, one of the toughest dogs I've owned. Couldn't take the cold, but heat and dry conditions would not slow her down. Does the same hold true with coon dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

dogs can take the cold, especially if their used to it, but its real easy to burn one up in the heat. i just heard of one on this site awhile back that had a heat stroke or something and the dog was only like 2 yrs old. you can imagine how you sweat now hunting with a cut off shirt on, imagine if ya had a fur coat