CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

One of my dogs will tree and he'll stay on the tree but once i get there he circles the tree until he spots what he treed. then he will just sit down and stare at it. Does anyone else have a dog that acts like this?

Curs Rule

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33dv1i1&s=7

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

will he bark until you get there or are ya finding him while your walking in the woods? my guess is alot of dogs would walk around the tree if they thought they could see the coon. my dogs have treed very few coons where they could see it up a tree. have you worked that dog on cage coon before, they will do a lot of sight treeing if you work them to much on a cage coon. ive never helped a dog by letting them bark at a cage before :D . i hope your dog works out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Must be small timber if he can see what he trees.But if hes at the tree or under the limbs of the tree i would not worry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:05 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah he will bark treed until i get there then he will look for what he has up there. He has only seen 2 caged coons. And the first one he didn't get to chase cause he had a broken leg, but what he's treeing right now are squirrels. A friend said the next time we get a coon to skin itand use the hide to teach him to go after coons.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

"but what he's treeing right now are squirrels."

there you go your answer was in your grasp you just didnt see it. A squirrel makes a tremendus amount of noise once up a tree the dog can see it in the day timerunning jumping moving tree to tree. he tracks the coon just like a squirrel so he is exspecting it to start jumping tree to tree and to watch for it. Stop letting him chase squirrels in when he trees tie him to the tree and shoot a few coons out probably make a load of difference fast.

Im not knocking for letting him chase squirrels i use them myself for training as young puppies give them squirrel tails to chase and bark at when they grow older and start exploring they find squirrel tracks to follow and teachs alot of tracking at 3months old. There a good thing to have around a house.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I can't keep him from treeing what ever he finds cause we let them run loose. We have 250 acres in the middle of nowhere so there isn't a need to tie them or pen them up. The only coon he's been on never made it anywhere near a tree. I don't know if he can actually see whats in the tree but he knows that there is something up there. I have to use binoculars to spot anything up the tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:16 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i bet one reason hes moveing around on the tree is that he aint only looking to find it but by him moveing around hes trying to make the squirrel jump out were he can see it. i know you have a lot of room for him to run loose but if he was mine i would put him up and hunt him only at night it will good for him but he needs to be hunted alot at night. a young dog can pick up some bad habits running loose to long, like trying to make a squirrel jump out or not tree as good or as long or even start running deer, if he starts running deer iam afraid youll have your hands full trying to break him not to mention you might loose him. i hope you tree a bunch of coons with him. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah he started chasing deer last season. And someone shot him with a 22 for it. Hopefully he won't do it anymore. Besides he can't keep up with a deer anymore. He broke his leg last winter so now he can't run as fast