CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: dog won't stay in truck
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:15 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

how do i get my dog to learn to stay in the truck til i put the gait down for him? As soon as the truck is off and i open my door he is out and gone unless he is tied in. I like taking him with me to the store but it just isn't safe now. He either runs off or one time he actually came in the store looking for me. I even got him micro chipped incase he runs off and got picked up by the dog catcher.

Curs Rule

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33dv1i1&s=7

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Training collar can fix that I'm pretty sure when it comes to it dogs safty it's worth a shot but I can't be sure none of my dogs ride like that there always in a box

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH TAYLOR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The collar sounds like a good idea but i just can't afford one right now. So I guess he will either stay at home or be tied in when he does come with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

try clip bunji cords it would be a fast hook up and release and 2 will cost u like 5 bucks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:11 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Since it is summer and you are leaving your windows open he will jump right out because he thinks you are the coolest human in the world. I would keep a leash in the truck and when you need to leave him alone use the short end of a seat belt as an anchor to short leash him so he doesn't jump out with a leash on and get hung. Or leave that dumb hound and get a good lady to take with you. LOL That could get expensive, better yet take the hound.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:20 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

fyi i have a good man. female hunters too remember? I don't let him in the cab of the truck cause he runs all over the place and sometimes he has cow s#%* all over him. I tied him in the bed of the truck with a 6 ft leash and he jumped out and he had just enough room to get his feet on the ground. The second time he did it i left him like that for a few minutes. Now I'm using a 4 ft leash so he can't get out. If I just stop and get out with the truck still running a good firm no stay will usually work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

OK, I missed some things, you got a good man and your dog is in the back of a pickup. You could have an eyebolt anchored to the front of the box behind the window and use that to keep him secured from when you first load him in until you decide he can be free. So when you leave the truck motor on he's staying put but motor off and he's ready to roll out? Sounds to me like this routine is the one when you head out to hunt so it is set in his head to get going when the engine is off. Danged ole hounds they just want to run. Change the routine from front to back, keep him tied down and on a short enough leash or chain to keep him in the truck bed, swivels on both ends will keep the rig from twisting on him. Double thumbs up on keeping a manure splattered dog out of the front. What makes a hound happy is a fresh cow pie and five minutes to roll out a poo pie crust in the pasture. LOL