CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pattern Hunting?????
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had a female walker and she had a very unusual way of hunting. She would hunt in a four leaf clover pattern and what made it so great is she would go out and hunt if she didn't find anything she would come back in to chekc on me. If I had moved she would give up the hunt find me and then start hunting again. If I stayed in the same spot she would hunt all around me coming in to check on me if I was still there she would go back out so on and so on. Once she got back to where she started she would come to me and sit at my feet until we moved on then the process would start over. I loved this about her, but what I am not sure of because I didn't train her is this something that can be taught to a dog or is this something that she did on her own? MY neighboor let her loose one night and she was hit by a car and killed I can't prove he did it but I know he did! So now I want another dog but I want one that will hunt like her can I train one to hunt this way and if so HOW?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Pattern Hunting?????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my opinion, which isnt much, I would say that was something special about her, cant be taught to hunt in that pattern, although most dogs ive hunted with will check back in if no track is found, sorry to hear about her

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She was a great dog after she got hit I gave up coon hunting. I couldn't find it in me to replace her and I felt like I wouldn't have the same bond with any other dog like I did with her. Thanks ghosthunter It has been about 3 years since I lost her and now I am thinking about getting another dog but I don't know how to train one properly and I don't know where to get one. I got her from a buddy of mine and all the dogs I see in the papers that are already started usually have some type of problem either they run deer or don't hunt good at all I am lost on this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:10 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i nhear ya, I have a dog now im training and I feel like we have a nice bond and if something happend to him sure it would put me down a bit too, and maybe seem to be hard to find one like that again, maybe you will and maybe you wont. but dont let that take you out of the sport, and think of it this way, by hunting with hounds you are giving a dog an oppurtunity to live the life dogs love to live!! Im pretty new to it too, but im fortunate enough to rely on my dad with 30 yrs with coonhounds to guide and teach me. as for the dogs in the papers, a dog running deer is a better to try and fix instead of one that just dont hunt at all, just male sure you see a dog hunt for you before you buy it, have a good one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:23 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

iam sorry you lost your dog, i dont think you can train a dog to hunt like that but dont stop hunting youll never own another good one if you dont try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah I love to coon hunt getting the coon isn't even that important it's the thrill of the chase but I know it is good for the dogs to get the coon. I do have another question though my buddy has a walker about 1 to 2 years old and she will track and run a coon great but she won't stay on the tree after she puts the coon up how could I train her to stay treed if I could do that I would buy her he only wants $75 for her he thinks it can't be fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

go to the TRAING TIPS QUICK FINDER sticky thread on the first page of the message forum, training problems are listed there, and discussions on how to correct them, it CAN be fixed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Treewalker1012 wrote:
how could I train her to stay treed if I could do that I would buy her he only wants $75 for her he thinks it can't be fixed.

Start with getting a new "buddy". If it can't be fixed he needs to cull it, not sell it. That's pathetic.

To answer your question, get to the tree ASAP and get her leashed up. Make sure the coon is there and spend plenty of time at the tree petting her up ect...... Get her used to spending quality time at the tree. I'd personally find another dog if this one has been hunted all along. If it's been sitting it might be worth messing with for free.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i agree cooncry, pet him up while hes treeing. make the dog think hes tickleing you to death by treeing. try to bond with him as much as you can, in the woods and at home that way he will more likely try to please you. i think bonding with a dog is as important as hunting them. i hope everything works out for ya. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks guys for the responses!